• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

People seem to finally be having a Saiss epiphany. Last year he was poor, people just wanted him to be something he's not capable of and when he wasn't in the team pre and post the ACN he took on the Rosa role. If we are to go up Neves' partner in midfield isn't at the club at the moment

yeah, poor touch and passes...physical ok, you cant rely on that though

different league and players
Worse league and worse players. If he's playing as poorly as is being said then he has absolutely no excuse and can fuck off.

Worse league and worse players. If he's playing as poorly as is being said then he has absolutely no excuse and can fuck off.

I dont know, hard to compare..but I feel it´s not as fast in Ligue 1 if you compare to the chumps..

Saiss was horrendous. Disappointed with Zyro too. Neither of them on that showing should be near the 11.

Saiss just fucks up 5 yard passes passing behind people, over their head, off his shin. Also miscontrols it a lot when under no pressure

Zyro looked like a Sunday league player who hasn't played in a while and has suddenly decided to start playing again. He's a long way off, hopefully just sharpness rather than never getting back.

Players not good enough based on the 4 games so far: Deslandes, Batth, Edwards, Saiss, Mason, Simpson, Zyro and Enbohkare.

I hope Jota comes in as we desperately need a player in that position with Cav, Costa and Marshall out for at least the first 2 games.

I thought we'd be OK in midfield but clearly we aren't and we need a CM to compete with Neves and Price as Saiss doesn't look like he's going to be it.

We clearly need a striker as Dicko and Mason do not look like the answer and certainly not for a whole season.

Only 2 players needed which is a monumental improvement on last season.

So a quick overview of how I saw the game

- Ref was terrible and seemed reluctant to remind players it was a pre season match with shrewsbury doing some dreadful challenges all game. Also missed a clear penalty on doherty and a potential hand ball in the second half
- Still not used to the system and centre midfield looks a concern suddenly with Edwards not suitable, price not offensively threatening enough when going forward and Saiss pretty absent
- We really need to give graham a game because I was upset he wasn't given a chance (as i rate him hugely) but I understand the comment that it may not have been suitable with shrewsbury looking hyperactive and trying to injure everyone

FIRST HALF
Ruddy - Spilled a cross allowing Shrews to recycle possession and create the chance for the first goal. In terms of the second goal he was unable to do much.

Miranda - Generally poor on the ball and both goals came from his side of the pitch. Did one superb pass for Dicko (50 yard ground pass) that he should have done better with.
Coady - Not great defensively and didn't do a lot with the ball itself to suggest to me he would handle Boro well. Pretty poor half for him.
Boly - Played 90 mins and seemed steadier than the rest. Didn't do much.

Douglas - Worst game yet, seemed off the pace and didn't connect with players down the channels.
Edwards - Didn't do anywhere near enough defensively or offensively and seemed to be a step behind the rest of the team. I also felt quite uncomfortable with his random high presses that seemed to make the formation look disjointed.
Neves - Didn't do much, suffered a poor tackle and went off. Hopefully he's okay
Doherty - The best of the wing backs, should have had a penalty but didn't do much else of note. Failed to connect with the players on the channels.

Ronan - Pretty poor, struggled to get passes off but was nice to see him cope well with the aggressiveness of shrewsbury
Dicko - wasted good chances and didn't do much, the need for another striker is clear as everyone knows
Cav - (Personally) I thought he looked sharp and up for it even if his ideas and moves didn't always play off

SECOND HALF
Norris - Poor kicking generally was pretty much it as he didn't face much

Bennett - Not massively challenged defensively but did the simple stuff okay i suppose
Batth - Looked better than Coady in my eyes and I feel he should be ahead of him in the pecking order
Boly - *above*

Simpson - Some runs, some tackles, some passes, some bad passes, some bad tackles but he won't play during the season so its okay
Price - Moved the ball around and looked sharper than Edwards/Saiss. some nice long range passes but nothing in the way of genuinely threatening attacking balls
Saiss - Pretty poor, suffered some awful challenges and got a yellow stating that to the ref. Apprently he turns up for 10 mins then goes missing but he didn't have the courtesy to appear at all today - never seemed in the game and I hope this isnt an indication of his season
Vinagre - I thought he was quite poor, lost the ball a fair few times and didn't seem threatening offensively. Clearly needs a bit of time gelling into the squad and system so probably won't start any of the first few league games bar an injury

Zyro - missed a sitter and for me he looked off the pace. Would much rather have seen graham
Mason - Didn't do much in terms of attacking and doesn't look suited to a lone striker role
Bright - MOTM (don't read much into that as everyone else was poor), drove at shrewsbury and looked genuinely threatening. Made errors going forward but I felt his decision making looked better as he laid the ball off.

Boly was replaced by Deslandes at Half Time and Des did ok... Miranda looked comfortable on the ball... Coady was fucking rubbish and should never play centre half again...

yeah, we need a striker..and a striker different to Dicko..i would like to get a super quality cm too but as you have noticed i have really liked how price have played every game i have seen..hopefully Neves is ok for Boro..satisfied with our defenders, both right and left and centre..GK is ok, nothing more nothing less

Sloppy as fuck.

It's clear we need improvements up top (what an improvement Jota will be!) and hopefully taking Neves off was just a precaution as we were completely bereft of creativity after the sub.

Coady was really poor today I thought. He looks really useful when we're keeping our shape and building from the back but if he can't defend those simple crosses into the box then he just can't play centre half.

A good run out though and we've got a lot of time to make it work before Boro.

Boly was replaced by Deslandes at Half Time and Des did ok... Miranda looked comfortable on the ball... Coady was fucking rubbish and should never play centre half again...

I'd agree with all that.

I'd also add that I thought Enobakhare was atrocious, I don't think he made a single good run or pass and was as threatening as a stick of celery.

Agree about Miranda, thought he played ok.

I'd agree with all that.

I'd also add that I thought Enobakhare was atrocious, I don't think he made a single good run or pass and was as threatening as a stick of celery.

Apart from the time he skinned the entire Salop team and put Zyro through for a 1v1?

That's funny - I thought Bright was clearly our best and most threatening player. Best of a poor punch maybe, but it was nice to see someone put their football on the ball and run at players.

Also we should make it public knowledge that we will never play Shrewsbury again preseason as they are a bunch of dirty, kicking fuckwits and I hope every other "big" club in the area that might be tempted to play them tells them to do one

Oh good. Everyone thinks Price is great. He isn't

You have a really odd obsession with him!! Price is a decent player, not brilliant but not crap. As it is, he suits what Nuno wants and I imagine in time we will replace him (like many others)

He was the best midfielder on show today.

Apart from Neves.

Price is decent. Hopefully he can keep up the form he has shown this pre season as we know he can be wildly inconsistent.

That's funny - I thought Bright was clearly our best and most threatening player. Best of a poor punch maybe, but it was nice to see someone put their football on the ball and run at players.

What else did he do (bar the 1v1 which I should've credited him with)?

Back