• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

He shouldn't be a midfielder for me. Too in and out of games and fouling too often. Try him in the back three or not at all.

He shouldn't be a midfielder for me. Too in and out of games and fouling too often. Try him in the back three or not at all.

yeah, could be good at CB with his physique maybe

I think Dan has Saiss spot on. Looks good for ten, then shit, then disappears, Then average ..,

I have no idea how Zyro is ahead of Graham in the first team thinking when he looks SO sluggish.

Graham definitely has had a knock so imo no way they were bringing him on in this game with Shrewsbury kicking shit out of us.

Zyro has experience, that is the key YW..and he was very good last season..anyway, Helder will be occupying that space most of the time

Saiss has been awful 2nd half.

Graham definitely has had a knock so imo no way they were bringing him on in this game with Shrewsbury kicking shit out of us.

Graham has so much going on for him, really hope he get the opportunities

Zyro has experience, that is the key YW..and he was very good last season..anyway, Helder will be occupying that space most of the time

Zyro didn't play last season at all Fred... graham is ahead of him fitness wise which is why it baffles me unless away from the pitch Graham has cocked ip again

I did wonder if this might be a factor. Hope it's that anyway

Graham had a knock didn't he? Wouldn't have risked him against these bunch of cloggers.

Saiss has been awful today. He was well off even for a pre season game.

Saïss was half of the best midfield in Ligue 1 two years ago (outside of PSG, Monaco, and Lyon). It is unbelievable that he has regressed so much.

Zyro didn't play last season at all Fred... graham is ahead of him fitness wise which is why it baffles me unless away from the pitch Graham has cocked ip again

we have many options on the wings and that can only be a good thing, right? I rate both players as they can make a difference..both have had long term injuries and lets hope they comeback the same way they got out YW..

Saïss was half of the best midfield in Ligue 1 two years ago (outside of PSG, Monaco, and Lyon). It is unbelievable that he has regressed so much.

different league and players

People seem to finally be having a Saiss epiphany. Last year he was poor, people just wanted him to be something he's not capable of and when he wasn't in the team pre and post the ACN he took on the Rosa role. If we are to go up Neves' partner in midfield isn't at the club at the moment

So a quick overview of how I saw the game

- Ref was terrible and seemed reluctant to remind players it was a pre season match with shrewsbury doing some dreadful challenges all game. Also missed a clear penalty on doherty and a potential hand ball in the second half
- Still not used to the system and centre midfield looks a concern suddenly with Edwards not suitable, price not offensively threatening enough when going forward and Saiss pretty absent
- We really need to give graham a game because I was upset he wasn't given a chance (as i rate him hugely) but I understand the comment that it may not have been suitable with shrewsbury looking hyperactive and trying to injure everyone

FIRST HALF
Ruddy - Spilled a cross allowing Shrews to recycle possession and create the chance for the first goal. In terms of the second goal he was unable to do much.

Miranda - Generally poor on the ball and both goals came from his side of the pitch. Did one superb pass for Dicko (50 yard ground pass) that he should have done better with.
Coady - Not great defensively and didn't do a lot with the ball itself to suggest to me he would handle Boro well. Pretty poor half for him.
Boly - Played 90 mins and seemed steadier than the rest. Didn't do much.

Douglas - Worst game yet, seemed off the pace and didn't connect with players down the channels.
Edwards - Didn't do anywhere near enough defensively or offensively and seemed to be a step behind the rest of the team. I also felt quite uncomfortable with his random high presses that seemed to make the formation look disjointed.
Neves - Didn't do much, suffered a poor tackle and went off. Hopefully he's okay
Doherty - The best of the wing backs, should have had a penalty but didn't do much else of note. Failed to connect with the players on the channels.

Ronan - Pretty poor, struggled to get passes off but was nice to see him cope well with the aggressiveness of shrewsbury
Dicko - wasted good chances and didn't do much, the need for another striker is clear as everyone knows
Cav - (Personally) I thought he looked sharp and up for it even if his ideas and moves didn't always play off

SECOND HALF
Norris - Poor kicking generally was pretty much it as he didn't face much

Bennett - Not massively challenged defensively but did the simple stuff okay i suppose
Batth - Looked better than Coady in my eyes and I feel he should be ahead of him in the pecking order
Boly - *above* - apparently it was deslandes who was ok

Simpson - Some runs, some tackles, some passes, some bad passes, some bad tackles but he won't play during the season so its okay
Price - Moved the ball around and looked sharper than Edwards/Saiss. some nice long range passes but nothing in the way of genuinely threatening attacking balls
Saiss - Pretty poor, suffered some awful challenges and got a yellow stating that to the ref. Apprently he turns up for 10 mins then goes missing but he didn't have the courtesy to appear at all today - never seemed in the game and I hope this isnt an indication of his season
Vinagre - I thought he was quite poor, lost the ball a fair few times and didn't seem threatening offensively. Clearly needs a bit of time gelling into the squad and system so probably won't start any of the first few league games bar an injury

Zyro - missed a sitter and for me he looked off the pace. Would much rather have seen graham
Mason - Didn't do much in terms of attacking and doesn't look suited to a lone striker role
Bright - MOTM (don't read much into that as everyone else was poor), drove at shrewsbury and looked genuinely threatening. Made errors going forward but I felt his decision making looked better as he laid the ball off.

I don't think he has. He never had an extended run last season and i'm not sure he's got used to the pace of the English game. I think his biggest negative is his concentration he seems to lose it quite easily.

Back