• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

I can see the 523. I guess I can see the 433 when Doherty plays RWB and can't be arsed to run back to defend haha.

Defending as 5-2-3 is tough for the 2 guys in the midfield. They are outnumbered and creates too much space between lines. Thats why i found interesting the 433 aproach with one of the wingers (Cavaleiro i think) becoming the third CM.

Defending as 5-2-3 is tough for the 2 guys in the midfield. They are outnumbered and creates too much space between lines. Thats why i found interesting the 433 aproach with one of the wingers (Cavaleiro i think) becoming the third CM.

Yes it was Cavaleiro. Not sure how that would work in the league because Cav didn't really look suited last season to defending and asking him to make a 3 in the middle would be a tough ask. The beauty of how we have set up is that we can be fluid though and defend in various ways like you have said (4-3-3/5-2-3/5-4-1/5-3-2/4-4-2), my only worry is that some of our players will struggle with the tactical set up.

We're not really playing three up front either. It's almost two players behind the striker very narrow, with license to roam wide or across the middle.

We're not really playing three up front either. It's almost two players behind the striker very narrow, with license to roam wide or across the middle.

It seems like that because the winger on the opposite side of the ball joins the striker. It creates numbers in the area and it drags defenders, allowing the man behind (Doherty on the second goal as an example) to show up unmarked.

Hence 3-4-2-1 Bear.

It can't be Cav who drops into midfield though. It wouldn't be 433 then... Assuming you mean 1 fullback drops into the backline and 1 pushes into midfield. But not Cav. And if the pic you have is of Cav then god knows what we we're playing.

Yes it was Cavaleiro. Not sure how that would work in the league because Cav didn't really look suited last season to defending and asking him to make a 3 in the middle would be a tough ask. The beauty of how we have set up is that we can be fluid though and defend in various ways like you have said (4-3-3/5-2-3/5-4-1/5-3-2/4-4-2), my only worry is that some of our players will struggle with the tactical set up.

You are right. Its not easy to pull off. It was a disaster for Dortmund in many games.

There is a reason why more down to earth managers like Mourinho or Guardiola dont try it, while the more wild guys (Conte, Jesus, Tuchel) love it.

Hence 3-4-2-1 Bear.

It can't be Cav who drops into midfield though. It wouldn't be 433 then... Assuming you mean 1 fullback drops into the backline and 1 pushes into midfield. But not Cav. And if the pic you have is of Cav then god knows what we we're playing.

Having looked at the pic we are defending in a 5-4-1. You can see the line of 5 at the back of Doherty-Bennett-Miranda-Boly-Douglas and then Mason-Dave-Price-Cav and Dicko upfront. The 4 needs work though as Edwards has pressed far too much imo and has left a massive gap between him and Price and exposed the hole in behind him in front of Doc and Bennett.

Whether it comes off or not i'm going to enjoy working out our tactics this season but i'm not looking forward to most of our fans moaning because it's not 4-4-2 and because they can't figure out who is where and why they are there.

Having looked at the pic we are defending in a 5-4-1. You can see the line of 5 at the back of Doherty-Bennett-Miranda-Boly-Douglas and then Mason-Dave-Price-Cav and Dicko upfront. The 4 needs work though as Edwards has pressed far too much imo and has left a massive gap between him and Price and exposed the hole in behind him in front of Doc and Bennett.

Whether it comes off or not i'm going to enjoy working out our tactics this season but i'm not looking forward to most of our fans moaning because it's not 4-4-2 and because they can't figure out who is where and why they are there.

It was Cavaleiro because the ball was on his opposite side. Would haver been the other winger if the ball was on the right hand side.

It was Cavaleiro because the ball was on his opposite side. Would haver been the other winger if the ball was on the right hand side.

Yeah it is Cavaleiro, he just comes a bit narrow while still being able to press wide if the ball is switched. It's still a 4 in front of the 5.

Yeah it is Cavaleiro, he just comes a bit narrow while still being able to press wide if the ball is switched. It's still a 4 in front of the 5.

IMG_20170718_113400.jpg

Its not what it seems to me but i just saw the highlights so i cant say much more.

View attachment 1805

Its not what it seems to me but i just saw the highlights so i cant say much more.

The pink circle on the left is Edwards who is playing as one of the 2 central midfielders. He's just pressed far too much and Nuno was shouting at him for the entire first half because he wasn't where he should be. That should be a line of 4 and he should be one of the middle 2.

The pink circle on the left is Edwards who is playing as one of the 2 central midfielders. He's just pressed far too much and Nuno was shouting at him for the entire first half because he wasn't where he should be. That should be a line of 4 and he should be one of the middle 2.

Well either way its better than 523. NES is being smarter than Jesus with that huge hole in the middle.

Thank you SLB for your tactical explanations. I find your posts very interesting.
How do you rate Nuno as a manager? and do you think he is the right man to get Wolves promoted?

When can we upgrade him to SNES?

Thank you SLB for your tactical explanations. I find your posts very interesting.
How do you rate Nuno as a manager? and do you think he is the right man to get Wolves promoted?

First of all thank you for your words. They are not really explanations though. They are just my way of watching the game. I can be as wrong as anyone else.

About NES... First time i talked about him people were not so happy. Im going to try explain better this time:

First things first: NES is not at the same level of the portuguese top managers like Mourinho, Jardim, Marco Silva, Jesus or Vilas-Boas (i know he is not very liked in uk but i think he is quite good). NES is the first to admit he has been in 2 of the biggest clubs in the world thanks to his pal...
Being very honest...he did well in Rio Ave but not so well in Valência and Porto. But to be fair what a crappy time to be a manager of those 2 clubs.

He has his strengths: players tend to like him, he is a gentleman, he has a lot of top level experience as a player. He is going to have a very good team for championship level. If he keeps it simple, he can pull it off.

Only judging by the league tables, but wouldn't you say he performed to, or even slightly above what would be a reasonable expectation at both Valencia and Porto?

Back