• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

After writing all of that in a second language...that is what you pick up on?

Give him a break man.

That's a decent analysis but I confess I am at a loss as to what you're on about with the 3-4-3 involving only one CB?

Only he's wrong. Completely wrong, especially as we start the game with 3 CB's.

I thought it was nicely explained tbh - and he's saying we don't play the classic 3-4-3 precisely because we play 3 centre backs rather than one, and two full backs.

Yeah I like the effort SLB has gone to there (and in a second language)

What I will say is that it is very rare for anyone to play a 'true' 3-4-3 as you call it. No one is stupid enough to play with one centre back anymore because of the havoc it could cause.

I am interested how we may change systems based on the opponent. Our style will stay the same but for example of the opposition play one up front and defend deep I imagine we will take a centre back away and play a back four. But if they play two up front and want to press high the third centre back becomes very important in our build up play.

Something I noticed in the friendlies is that whoever played centre midfield was receiving the ball far too deep. We don't need Price, Neves, Saiss to come and receive the ball in front of the opposition because that makes it far easier to defend. In terms of positioning they need to be able to receive in a space that will break the oppositions lines of defence. Once or twice Neves did this quite wel and was able to take two or three defending players out of the game.

Douglas & Doherty (which looks like the preferred two at full/wing back at the moment) are going to get through a fair amount of mileage - up & down the wing constantly in this formation.

We definitely need back up to Douglas, and I'd hope this is sorted sooner rather than later. For this formation to work, it's imperative we get the right player in to those positions. Presumably Ofosu-Ayeh will be back for the last couple of friendlies? We don't want to head in to the season with only one person in those positions. The young lads don't seem quite ready, based on what I've seen.

Just a note, SLB, to say how much I am enjoying your posts. Thank you

I thought it was nicely explained tbh - and he's saying we don't play the classic 3-4-3 precisely because we play 3 centre backs rather than one, and two full backs.

Tradionally playing 3 at the back has always involved playing 3 CB's. I can't think of a team that doesn't bar the Barca/ Dutch of the 70's/ 80's. The old Barca/ Ajax/ Dutch system was 3-1-3-1-2 and is classed as total football.

Basculate was a mobile dictionary error. Its a portuguese word. Its a specific term for football. Its the movement the defense does when the oponent makes the ball change flanks. Its vital in modern football.

Also playing 3Cbs has nothing to do with being a 3 men defensive line. It has to do with playing 3 defenders. Italian Catenaccio used to play 5 defenders with 3 of them being CBs.

But i respect your opinion. Football is not maths. There are more than 1 valid perspective i guess.

And i wouldnt call 3-1-3-1-2 to total football dutch formation. Not by a long shot.

Thanks Sir. Glad you enjoyed.

Slightly off thread but there are three Willocks brothers. Joe is still at Arsenal, Matthew plays for Man Utd and Chris left Arsenal for Benfica. My son hasn't seen Chris play but he is a "highly regarded" forward. Sorry I can't tell you any more

So, what would you call playing 3 CB, a LB, a RB, 2 CM and 3 forwards and it looking like a 3-4-2-1, SLB?

Cuz that's what we did in the last friendly.

So, what would you call playing 3 CB, a LB, a RB, 2 CM and 3 forwards and it looking like a 3-4-2-1, SLB?

Cuz that's what we did in the last friendly.

I explained on the last page. At the start of the post.

I explained on the last page. At the start of the post.

Not as far as I can see? What do you call what I'm calling a 343 (or 3421 as its nearly identical).

Slightly off thread but there are three Willocks brothers. Joe is still at Arsenal, Matthew plays for Man Utd and Chris left Arsenal for Benfica. My son hasn't seen Chris play but he is a "highly regarded" forward. Sorry I can't tell you any more

Thank you. I think he only played 2 first team matches last year so it was expected...

What he means is out of possession there becomes a line of 5 at the back, which is true in some instances. In other situations there can be a four, or just a three when we are pressing high up the pitch. To me it seems quite fluid so far but we will learn more as we go into the season.

Unless you're calling it a 'hybrid of a 343 and 433'?

Not as far as I can see? What do you call what I'm calling a 343 (or 3421 as its nearly identical).

Its an hybrid. Its a formation that attacks like a 3-4-3 but defends as a 4-3-3 or 5-2-3 depending on the opponent trying a fast transition or a positional attack. The way I see football the defending formation tells much more about a team than his attacking one. Its modern football. Formations are dynamic not written on stone.

Its an hybrid. Its a formation that attacks like a 3-4-3 but defends as a 4-3-3 or 5-2-3 depending on the opponent trying a fast transition or a positional attack. The way I see football the defending formation tells much more about a team than his attacking one. Its modern football. Formations are dynamic not written on stone.

Jorge Jesus is trying the exact same formation with Sporting lisbon. Here they are defending a positional attack:
scp-basel4.jpg

I can see the 523. I guess I can see the 433 when Doherty plays RWB and can't be arsed to run back to defend haha.

Back