• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

I enjoyed that - obviously it's very early days but the players didn't look uncomfortable with the new style. Really like the look of Miranda - extremely good on the ball. Cav and Dicko looked good as well.

Enjoyed the game. Thought we played some really tidy stuff. If that's the style then I'm very much on board (accepting that the intensity of these games isn't the highest). Cav, Neves, Saiss and Roderick looked very good today.

Does really show much we need another left-back though. We have Doherty and Ofosuh-Ayeh for RWB, and Marshall as a solid third-choice (Simpson is only here for pre-season, judging from his level in these two matches he's nowhere near first-team quality yet). But for LWB, we can't have either Doherty or Delsandes as backup, and we also don't have a player from the forward left like Marshall on the right. If Douglas gets an injury this formation suddenly doesn't work for the rest of this squad.

I was a big fan of Saiss anyway, i think this style is going to suit him down to the ground and i think with him and Neves we are strong in the centre of midfield but i do worry about those who can cover for them.

We have the makings of a very good squad here. Nice to see a solid formation and possession based game, but instead of Solbakken's boredom we have exciting players like Ronan, Cav, Zyro and Bright to play alongside Dicko until Costa and Marshall get back.

One top striker and a backup left back and I think we are at least top 6.

Edwards and Mason can be binned tomorrow and I don't care who to as they have no place here now.

Does really show much we need another left-back though. We have Doherty and Ofosuh-Ayeh for RWB, and Marshall as a solid third-choice (Simpson is only here for pre-season, judging from his level in these two matches he's nowhere near first-team quality yet). But for LWB, we can't have either Doherty or Delsandes as backup, and we also don't have a player from the forward left like Marshall on the right. If Douglas gets an injury this formation suddenly doesn't work for the rest of this squad.

I reckon the Heise deal will get done. But he'll have a job to displace Baz who looks ideal for that role.

Have we found a formation and style that suits Saiss? Hope so, as I think he and Neves could be brilliant together in the Championship

How did Dicko play? Difficult to tell in pre season, but did he look like his old self? 2 in 2 is very encouraging

Top striker and we should be challenging right at the top really. Playoffs would be a minimum.

Have we found a formation and style that suits Saiss? Hope so, as I think he and Neves could be brilliant together in the Championship

Two things really (and again to caveat it, this is a friendly against moderate opposition, nowhere really near the start of either team's season):

1) He looks a lot more mobile. Trimmer - as Doc looked as well, to be fair to him - and got around the park way better than he did last season when he looked like he had a sack of spuds shoved down his shorts.

2) It really helps that he always has a pass on now. So he doesn't have to look for the Hollywood ball all the time. But he did still spray a couple of nice ones out to the left in particular.

Neves just looks like a ridiculously good player.

Only saw the last 20 minutes but I like the way we seemed to keep hold of the ball but still look for the forward pass when the opportunity was there. Lots of shouts of 'pass the ball', but unlike in the past like under H****e when it was often pass for the sake of passing it seemed like there was a purpose to the passing. Hopefully that will translate well when the real bullets start to fly in a few weeks...

Some very good signs from today and a marked improvement especially first half. Miranda is class, looks like he has all the time in the world. Most players look comfortable the way we are playing however Edwards, Simpson, Deslandes & Mason looked lost, which is understandable for the younger lads.

I think we need another LWB, CM & ST and we will be up there. Is it too late to offer Silvio a deal??

Both Miranda and Boly are massive improvements defensively

Nuno said several times for the forwards to tuck in, and blasted Edwards in particular for roaming out of position. There is method there and it was great to hear.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

How did Dicko play? Difficult to tell in pre season, but did he look like his old self? 2 in 2 is very encouraging

Looked sharp and threatening in central areas. Clearly worked on position as he hardly made any runs aimlessly wide and played in the gaps between the centre backs.

I think with a very good forward to bring on for him we could see Dicko better than he was before.

Looked sharp and threatening in central areas. Clearly worked on position as he hardly made any runs aimlessly wide and played in the gaps between the centre backs.

I think with a very good forward to bring on for him we could see Dicko better than he was before.

Looked very sharp to me, couldn't miss for the goal but he gambled on the run for a tap in. Looks much more like his old self.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that would be great. I really hoped the old Nouha would materialise at some point, he'd be perfect for the formation it looks like we want to play

Think this formation will suit Cav as well, bit of freedom to find space and make things happen - just wait until Costa is back on the other side!

Only saw the last 20 minutes but I like the way we seemed to keep hold of the ball but still look for the forward pass when the opportunity was there. Lots of shouts of 'pass the ball', but unlike in the past like under H****e when it was often pass for the sake of passing it seemed like there was a purpose to the passing. Hopefully that will translate well when the real bullets start to fly in a few weeks...

That sounds really encouraging.

Bring on Middlesbrough. I am just a tiny bit excited about a Wolves season again. It has been too long to not have that feeling.

Edwards and Mason can be binned tomorrow and I don't care who to as they have no place here now.

I got sick of hearing their names through the first half as they were continually having to be told what to do and where to go. I think that will be making Nuno's mind up for him if he had any doubts.

Back