• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2017

Spiers Verdict - https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...olves-1-werder-bremen-0--five-talking-points/

Seasoned observers have called for Wolves to try three at the back for a while

giphy.gif

He means Danks :icon_lol:

I don't mind the idea of Coady being used as a back up in the middle of those three defenders. He won't need to do anything really apart from throwing himself in front of shots (which he's capable of doing), holding the line (which he's capable of doing), shouting instructions (which he's capable of doing) and playing a simple pass to someone more creative (which he's capable of doing). He has a good character, despite his limitations as a player - so if Nuno feels he can offer something there, it keeps him away from the midfield positions where we have better players.

Fair play to Jack Price. I think he was one of the players that would have been in danger of being shifted on, but he appears to have impressed Nuno & the coaching staff and as others have said, he may suit this formation better and with actual footballers in and around him hopefully we'll see the best of him. Saiss/Neves/Price are very good options at this level - and I can understand why it's Evans that looks set to miss out.

I'm excited by Douglas. He just seems very considerate with his passing and positioning. A left back who can pass, overlap & defend. WHAT ON EARTH is one of them?! Plus his set piece delivery was superb.

Spiers was a little unsure on Boly and said he seemed "rusty". From the stream, I can't say I noticed him do much wrong. I think we've got a massive player (literally) there.

All in all, a pleasing display. Scoreline isn't important but it's nice to get off to a winning start & winning games of football breeds confidence - even if we were lucky in the end.

Although it's nice to win, to see us actually trying to pass the ball and witness a few promising performances, it's way too early to make too much out of yesterday's game, what it might mean for the futures of some of those who played etc etc.

The main thing is building up fitness, staying injury free and the squad getting used to NES's ideas.

So Will Norris has also flown out to join up with the first team...

I'm actually finding Spiers and Judah's travel diary articles quite amusing!

I'm actually finding Spiers and Judah's travel diary articles quite amusing!

I like the fact that the drawing of Spiers at the start of the video diary is thinner than he actually is! Aren't caricatures supposed to over emphasize? :icon_lol:

I've enjoyed reading the write up of last night's game and though early days, its good to see that NES is changing the team ethos already and implementing his ideas and that the new boys are showing signs of promise as well as the likes of Price, Coady and Dicko looking good.

I am so excited about the new season and can't wait to get started

Not sure about 343, I don't think it'll get the best out Costa or Graham, the central centre half has to be able to step up into midfield, hopefully Miranda can and you need to be strong in midfield, Ronan and Neves are more passers than ball winners and I'm a long way from convinced by Saiss. For Chelsea last year it's Luiz and Kante that made that system work for them, we'll need that type of player to do the same. I hope it's an experiment to offer a plan B rather than something we are planning on starting the season with.

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but Iorfa's posted a picture on Instagram of the boot of a car filled with suitcases, and the caption "bags packed, summer finally done."

That sounds like he's had a bit more leave than other players so is only now coming back, which is plausible considering Hause didn't play yesterday either even though he has travelled out to Austria, and we're clearly easing Neves into it as well.

(Or it could be that he's heading off to another club, idk.)

Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but Iorfa's posted a picture on Instagram of the boot of a car filled with suitcases, and the caption "bags packed, summer finally done."

That sounds like he's had a bit more leave than other players so is only now coming back, which is plausible considering Hause didn't play yesterday either even though he has travelled out to Austria, and we're clearly easing Neves into it as well.

(Or it could be that he's heading off to another club, idk.)
I will be gutted if he leaves. Young English player with bags of talent and a promising future, i want to see someone spend the time developing him into the player we know he could be.

I don't mind the idea of Coady being used as a back up in the middle of those three defenders. He won't need to do anything really apart from throwing himself in front of shots (which he's capable of doing), holding the line (which he's capable of doing), shouting instructions (which he's capable of doing) and playing a simple pass to someone more creative (which he's capable of doing). He has a good character, despite his limitations as a player - so if Nuno feels he can offer something there, it keeps him away from the midfield positions where we have better players.

Fair play to Jack Price. I think he was one of the players that would have been in danger of being shifted on, but he appears to have impressed Nuno & the coaching staff and as others have said, he may suit this formation better and with actual footballers in and around him hopefully we'll see the best of him. Saiss/Neves/Price are very good options at this level - and I can understand why it's Evans that looks set to miss out.

I'm excited by Douglas. He just seems very considerate with his passing and positioning. A left back who can pass, overlap & defend. WHAT ON EARTH is one of them?! Plus his set piece delivery was superb.

Spiers was a little unsure on Boly and said he seemed "rusty". From the stream, I can't say I noticed him do much wrong. I think we've got a massive player (literally) there.

All in all, a pleasing display. Scoreline isn't important but it's nice to get off to a winning start & winning games of football breeds confidence - even if we were lucky in the end.
On Boly.

I only watched a little bit of the game at the start but he put it straight out of play the first two times I recall him having the ball. Assuming he must have improved from there given other's reviews but he looked very ropey in possession for the little I watched.

On Boly.

I only watched a little bit of the game at the start but he put it straight out of play the first two times I recall him having the ball. Assuming he must have improved from there given other's reviews but he looked very ropey in possession for the little I watched.

Pretty much what Spiers said.

On Boly.

That would make sense because I struggled to find a stream to start with and missed the first 10 minutes. After that he seemed fine.

On Iorfa, I've always felt his touch isn't great. We all know his attributes are his pace and power - so it could be that he fits in to the RWB position (that Doherty played yesterday) quite nicely, because he's definitely better going forward. But if Nuno wants technically sound players with good close control and technique, I'm not sure Dom fits that criteria.

His touch wasn't that bad throughout the game, but then he also ended up looking impressive because, while his positioning wasn't great, he kept making impressive tackles and interceptions to make up for it. (Stearman Syndrome, you might call it.)

He was rusty I'm sure, like everyone else, but what he did well he did do very well, I thought.

That would make sense because I struggled to find a stream to start with and missed the first 10 minutes. After that he seemed fine.

On Iorfa, I've always felt his touch isn't great. We all know his attributes are his pace and power - so it could be that he fits in to the RWB position (that Doherty played yesterday) quite nicely, because he's definitely better going forward. But if Nuno wants technically sound players with good close control and technique, I'm not sure Dom fits that criteria.
Can't see Iorfa as a wingback, his end product in advanced areas is generally garbage and that's going to be more exposed if he's asked to carry the width down his side on his own.

I struggle to see where he goes from here personally, he's had some really shaky performances at centre half, defends the backpost dreadfully as a fullback and frequently looks very timid when the ball is in the air. I don't think he's got the backbone to be a solid centre half or enough football in him to be a really rounded fullback, he's sort of caught between the two and a fair way short of mastering either.

His pace gives more positives at fullback, can cover the ground up the wing and rarely gets beaten by opponents but all that really gives you is a less erratic Zubar.

I didn't watch the game as I was at football myself. Flicked through the YouTube stream but it was poor quality.

I just have to mention it - Coady as central CB!? I can't. Yes I get he could bring the ball forward etc, but your central CB in a 3 should be big, strong and amazing tackler primarily. I just don't see how the hell that's happened. Outside CB if anything surely, an extremely poor man's Azpi?

I didn't watch the game as I was at football myself. Flicked through the YouTube stream but it was poor quality.

I just have to mention it - Coady as central CB!? I can't. Yes I get he could bring the ball forward etc, but your central CB in a 3 should be big, strong and amazing tackler primarily. I just don't see how the hell that's happened. Outside CB if anything surely, an extremely poor man's Azpi?

Chill man...It was a preseason friendly and the first one at that. With the current squad you would expect to see (if they all turn out as good as we hope)

--------------------------------------------- John Ruddy ------------------------------------------

------------ Willy Boly ----------------- Roderick Miranda ----------- Kourtney Hause ---------

Phil Ofusu-Ayeh ------------------------ Ruben Neves ------------------------ Barry Douglas

---------------------------------- Jack Price / Connor Ronan -----------------------------------

Helder Costa/Michal Zyro ----------- Nouha Dicko ----------- Ivan Caveleiro/Jordan Graham

Everything for now is about game time, fitness and getting all of the players used to the formation and style of play Nuno wants

Yep, get that.

Coady central CB. Don't get that. Ha.

Back