• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Millwall (H) Build-up

The ref was cack against Cardiff but Wolves lost because Cardiff pressed us and outdid us tactically. We were well beaten and arguments over the ref and what he missed off the ball are a little disingenuous as we deserved to lose the game.

Hopefully Nuno has had some time to reassess and implement some tweaks to overcome the high press, and hopefully Jed Wallace puts in his usual Molineux performance, just this time it will be in our favour...!

I actually re-watched the Cardiff game last night, and I had forgotten about some of the really nice football we played. When you are there in the ground, you can easily get caught up in the emotion of the atmosphere, and with the feeling of frustration that comes from a clueless referee (and assistants).

We actually pinged the ball around really nicely in parts, and this was our worst performance this season to date. In my opinion, Cardiff and their 'tactics' or 'game management' were a disgrace. A lot of the stuff was missed on the feed from the single camera - like the elbow on Saiss - but you could still pick up on a lot. At 1-1 their keeper was picking the ball up and walking to the other side of the box to take a goal kick - this happened 4 or 5 times and the referee didn't speak to him once. We were throwing the ball back to their players to take a throw in, and they were just 'accidentally' missing it and letting the ball roll past them a few feet. It was a horrible performance from a team managed by a horrible manager - but they got the result, and as far as they are concerned, I'm sure they couldn't give a toss what we think about them. I don't envy Cardiff fans having to put up with that kind of anti-football tactics week in week out, whether they continue in the top 2-3 teams this season or not. Wolves, even on an off-day, still played the better football IMO, and were just a bit naive - but the referee should have helped with their atrocious game management and silly little off the ball tactics. He failed miserably.

I actually re-watched the Cardiff game last night, and I had forgotten about some of the really nice football we played. When you are there in the ground, you can easily get caught up in the emotion of the atmosphere, and with the feeling of frustration that comes from a clueless referee (and assistants).

We actually pinged the ball around really nicely in parts, and this was our worst performance this season to date. In my opinion, Cardiff and their 'tactics' or 'game management' were a disgrace. A lot of the stuff was missed on the feed from the single camera - like the elbow on Saiss - but you could still pick up on a lot. At 1-1 their keeper was picking the ball up and walking to the other side of the box to take a goal kick - this happened 4 or 5 times and the referee didn't speak to him once. We were throwing the ball back to their players to take a throw in, and they were just 'accidentally' missing it and letting the ball roll past them a few feet. It was a horrible performance from a team managed by a horrible manager - but they got the result, and as far as they are concerned, I'm sure they couldn't give a toss what we think about them. I don't envy Cardiff fans having to put up with that kind of anti-football tactics week in week out, whether they continue in the top 2-3 teams this season or not. Wolves, even on an off-day, still played the better football IMO, and were just a bit naive - but the referee should have helped with their atrocious game management and silly little off the ball tactics. He failed miserably.
Add to that the inexplicable 'injuries' that the Cardiff players had whenever we had them under pressure. The stop/starting tactics certainly did them a lot of favours by slowing the game down and allowing them to re-group.

He's a good ref. Think he made a high profile mistake recently thoug

A question Frank though I'm not sure if you have access to any report and able to answer. Did the referee from the Cardiff game (and his team) score well with the observer or were they marked down/reprimanded?

I used to have access to assessments, but it is not so easy nowadays. As far as I am aware the observer gave the referee a reasonable report, and marked him just below the average expected of football league referees. So I would imagine there would have been developments areas highlighted.

Point 1 - don't just watch the ball
Point 2 - see point 1
Point 3 - either warn the keeper about time wasting or add an appropriate amount of stoppage time

That would do. I would say they failed as a team of officials rather than it just being the ref, the linesman on the BW side should have spotted the elbow on Saiss for instance. They obviously didn't see it between them but knew *something* had happened so booked Damour. When it's either no action because you didn't see it, or a red card. There is no in between on that one.

I've seen worse obvious errors from referees down here (hello Mike Jones and Mark Halsey) but rarely a 90 minutes like that where there's been a couple of persistent offences committed by one team continually and no action taken at all.

I used to have access to assessments, but it is not so easy nowadays. As far as I am aware the observer gave the referee a reasonable report, and marked him just below the average expected of football league referees. So I would imagine there would have been developments areas highlighted.

Thank you Frank

Ha, I just won a ticket for this with 21bet? Just need to work out how I'll afford to get there as trains ain't cheap!!

Anyway, for me (and I know this won't happen):

-------------------Ruddy------------------

Coady--------Batth---------Miranda-----Douglas

----------Neves--------Saiss----------------

---Bright-------Cavaleiro---------Jota---------

-----------------Bonatini-----------------------

Subs: Norris, Bennett, Vinagre, N'Diaye, Ronan, Marshall, Zyro

We don't need three centre halves at home to Millwall. I'd rather have the extra attacker thanks.

Got my ticket for this - North Bank Quadrant again.

Might well head to the Litten pre-match for this one. Fancy watching City vs Liverpool properly, nowhere else in town is really set up for it.

Work unable to give me the day off so originally I had to work my late shift. This has now turned in to "we're really short of staff so can you work a 12 hour night shift for us please?"

Hmph! So, would anyone like use of my ST for Saturday?

Work unable to give me the day off so originally I had to work my late shift. This has now turned in to "we're really short of staff so can you work a 12 hour night shift for us please?"

Hmph! So, would anyone like use of my ST for Saturday?

Mike would be interested - did book for the Barnsley game, but had to get refunded as double booked myself with something already in the diary!! - Senility is setting in

Back