• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Manchester City (H) 20/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
Oh boy. This one could hurt. I've quite enjoyed the international week for a change as it's meant I haven't had to watch us defend like an U8s team.

I've gone on record as saying that I don't think moving to three CHs will change anything, but it seems an inevitability (and we'll lose here, but it's City so what do you expect, and we'll keep it when we shouldn't, and we'll go through the same bloody cycle as we have for about four years now). It'll mean that Forbs probably misses out after looking a bright spot against both Liverpool and Brentford. But hey, play Stonehenge. That'll solve everything. The question is how much more bottom could we be and the answer is none, none more bottom.

If we MUST do it then I would put Semedo at RCH and bring Lima in. If you're going to switch it around in this manner then a) we could do with the pace at CH and b) we need a proper attacking threat in both wing back positions, or else we end up with the stodgy rubbish we're very much accustomed to. I would also give Lemina a break and hand the captaincy to either Dawson or Cunha in the short term. He simply isn't in any kind of form.

Buckle up and it'll be interesting to see how the crowd responds should we as expected go behind early and City threaten to run riot. There were plenty of grumbles from the away support last time out and people might finally be seeing that they're being taken for a ride by the clown in the chairman's office.

-------------------------------Johnstone---------------------------

--------------------Semedo------Dawson-------Toti-----------------

Lima-------------Doyle-------André--------J Gomes-------Ait-Nouri

-----------------------Cunha--------Strand Larsen------------------

2023/24: W 2-1 (H), L 1-5 (A)
2022/23: L 0-3 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2021/22: L 1-5 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: L 1-3 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2019/20: W 3-2 (H), W 2-0 (A)
2018/19: D 1-1 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2017/18: D 0-0 (A, LC, lost on pens)
2011/12: L 0-2 (H), L 1-3 (A), L 2-5 (H, LC)
2010/11: W 2-1 (H), L 3-4 (A)
2009/10: L 0-3 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2003/04: W 1-0 (H), D 3-3 (A)
2001/02: L 0-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
1999/00: W 4-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
1997/98: D 2-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
1996/97: W 3-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)

Right last year I managed to get my youngest a ticket to this - i told him to expect a total battering... Just picked him a ticket up for this game and told him the same. Over to you GON.

Wouldn't totally shock me to see Lemina as the 3rd centre half, but I think he'll play 343 and crowbar Lemina in as a nominal right forward, playing rid mid and we'll be unbalanced.

This is quite likely. I don't hate DW's team, but right now I'm as likely to play as Lima is, I reckon.
We're managing his development appallingly. No first team cup games between now and January, we got knocked out of the League Cup a month ago, so what is he doing, how is he learning and adapting (because the raw ability is clearly there). It's a stupid state of affairs that he's behind Doherty, who has no business whatsoever being near a matchday squad, and then equally stupid that he isn't even playing U21 games in the meantime if we must persist with that insane pecking order.

Trouble I can see with this one is City putting the game to bed early with a couple of goals then just strangling us out of the game and scoring a late third when we’re knackered. They have form for it. GON will think his tactical masterstroke worked as he kept the scoreline down and we’re stuck with it. Fuck knows. I’m just glad I really don’t care at the moment.

Back page E&S Thursday, “I can make Strand better’, back page E&S today, ‘I can make Cuhna better’.
Sorry Gaz, Guardiola makes players better, you ain’t out of your coaching nappies yet.

To be fair, there was a period where players were performing well under GON.

Hwang, Sarabia, RAN, Toti, Lemina, Neto, Semedo all have displayed their best form for Wolves under GON.

(And in some cases their worst too :ROFLMAO: )

I hope for their petulance that we give them a jolly good thrashing.

Me too ! In fact i want to thrash all the clubs who have stabbed us in the back and front , fuck them all

I think that Chinese/Asian lad who scored the winner in this fixture last season is out for them, that’s good news because he normally turns up against us.

He shouldn't have even been on the pitch when he scored.

City have conceded at least one in all but one PL game this season. They haven’t got into top gear like they do every spring and Rodri is missing. The worst possible approach is to have no attacking threat so I’d like to see Forbs start. He almost certainly won’t as GO will see this as damage limitation. He knows only a big defeat will put his position in jeopardy and that will be his sole goal. Frankly if it gets to a point where City are ahead by two I hope they batter us and who knows, it could just be the final nail in GOs coffin.

City have conceded at least one in all but one PL game this season. They haven’t got into top gear like they do every spring and Rodri is missing. The worst possible approach is to have no attacking threat so I’d like to see Forbs start. He almost certainly won’t as GO will see this as damage limitation. He knows only a big defeat will put his position in jeopardy and that will be his sole goal. Frankly if it gets to a point where City are ahead by two I hope they batter us and who knows, it could just be the final nail in GOs coffin.
Guaranteed City clean sheet incoming #CyberLogic

Apparently Andre has played central defence. Maybe a possibility?, Toti to LB, Lemina and Gomes back to their previous roles and RAN further forward

Back