• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Carabao Cup Build Up Thread

Just got home and I'm fucking drained! What a performance by our reserves plus Coady (if Boly hadn't got injured then Danny would not be starting in the league.)
From one to eleven (I know it's probably 4 to 31) we were magnificent and could have come away with an unlikely win but it wasn't to be. So proud of the players and a little sorry for Bright. He was so strong, quick and powerful tonight and so deserved a goal for his efforts. He bullied their defenders and created so much play for himself with very little support. What a great little player we have in him and probably my MotM though any number of them could have that accolade.

I was a little upset with Danny Batth tonight but I guess the referee made him take Aguero out of his pocket to take the deciding penalty ;)

As for City fans criticising Wolves, go fuck yourself

Very pissed so bare with me.

Watched the shootout on SSN with a City fan (who celebrated like they'd won the champions league when shoot out was over) and went on to say they'd spent 2 hours teasing us. Fucking moron.

Am so proud of our team this evening. For 2 hours our team (including obvious second choices) held the best team in the country, and had chances to win.

Will elaborate more tomorrow when I'm sober, but had to express my feelings of pride tonight

Just got home and my god i'm so proud to be a Wolves fan and every single one of them were fantastic tonight but Bright was superb. I couldn't give a shit about the chances he missed because he was the best player no the pitch apart from those imo. He did everything that was asked of him often on his own and caused City all sorts of problems, held on to it when we needed him and released others in to good positions several times. Lad really came of age tonight and he needs support form our fans.

Roll on Saturday and QPR. I love this club.

What a night. Don’t think I am going to be very productive this morning.

Just switched on BBC Breakfast and all they talked about was the ball and a squirrel on the pitch. Tossers.

Just got home and my god i'm so proud to be a Wolves fan and every single one of them were fantastic tonight but Bright was superb. I couldn't give a shit about the chances he missed because he was the best player no the pitch apart from those imo. He did everything that was asked of him often on his own and caused City all sorts of problems, held on to it when we needed him and released others in to good positions several times. Lad really came of age tonight and he needs support form our fans.

Roll on Saturday and QPR. I love this club.

Can't help but be pissed off with Bright (and Helder) for missing those chances. One of them has got to go in.

Agree that he was superb apart from that though.

What a game, waking up this morning so proud to be a Wolves fan I fully expected a complete humping and it didn't happen.

Norris 8 - Has to improve his kicking but everything else is immense, made save after save. If he can marginally improve said kicking he will replace Ruddy without question.
Bennett 6 - Played RWB was defensively ok but offered little going forward. Looked completely knackered at the end but a good performance considering he was out of position.
Vinagre 7 - They were doubling up on him effectively in the first half but he grew in confidence and a few runs towards the end were great, he may need a rest for the weekend but Douglas should be nervous watching him.
Batth 8 - Blood and guts, threw everything to stop city. A very good performance from Danny.
Coady 7 - Similar to Batth but tried to play a little more, which was very hard against a class City side.
Hause 8 - Defensively the pick of the bunch, looked a bit rusty to start and some of his distribution was a little off but he hasn't played and this is only Man City. Brilliant to have him back but I think he will need a rest after this!
Price 8 - Countless interceptions and simple effective passing, Price celebrating his new contract with a very effective contribution. Had a shot from a really good move but probably best we don't talk about that.
Alf 7 - Worked hard and put himself about, not quite as involved as Price but still grafted with the rest of them.
Costa 6 - Still not quite at the races but the minutes will certainly help him which is a plus, his best work was defensive. He will come good again.
Bright 9 MOTM - if he finishes any of those chances its a 10, some of his passing was top class through balls either side for Marshall and Costa. Made mincemeat out of Mangala on several occasions and drew very good 1 on 1 saves from Bravo, for all the recent criticism this is a reminder of the potential this boy has.
Marshall 7 - Was rubbish for most of the first half but grew into the game and started the 2nd very well before coming off. not sure our system suits him but he grafted and delivered an excellent cross for the Bennett chance.

Subs,

Leo 7 - Leo did what Leo does under difficult circumstances we always look a better side when hes playing.
Cav 6 - Worked hard and tried to make things happen, not a massive contribution but always a threat.
Ronan 7 - Looked nervous at first but then dispossessed sane twice and just went at them. They had an injury that side and Ronan just started running at them it was epic. Another with a bright future.

Can't help but be pissed off with Bright (and Helder) for missing those chances. One of them has got to go in.

Agree that he was superb apart from that though.

I can't be pissed off with him. He was absolutely superb and although he had two on-on-ones i don't think either chance was easy. Bravo was out superbly for the one in the first half and the other City lad got back to stop him thinking about going around him and the last one he was out on his feet by the time he got to the shot and i could see what he tried to do by putting it though Bravo's legs. He should have just put it to either side of him but again Bravo did well. Just hope they can get him to forget the chances because he looked distraught at the end.

I thought that was a brilliant performance that would have bettered Liverpool last season if we could have just finished one of those chances!

I don't want to fault a single one of them. We've just given one of the best sides in the world one hell of a game, and fared better than most other sides they've played so far this season.

I'm finding it very hard to remain grounded after what I've seen so far this season. We look like SUCH a good side when it clicks, and even when it doesn't we're doing enough to win games. And despite some moaning about the starting XI yesterday (not wanting to get into a debate about that) we sent out what was effectively a 2nd choice XI with a couple of exceptions and put in such an impressive display against by far the best side we're going to have to face this season. And remarkably could and should have beaten them.

If we can do that with a 'weakened' Championship team, just think what we could achieve if we go on to win promotion and invest further in January and in the summer?

Massively encouraging, and it shows how well we did and how far we've come that we're all massively disappointed!!

Does anyone else seem to be suffering from “Manchester Lung” this morning.

I can't be pissed off with him. He was absolutely superb and although he had two on-on-ones i don't think either chance was easy. Bravo was out superbly for the one in the first half and the other City lad got back to stop him thinking about going around him and the last one he was out on his feet by the time he got to the shot and i could see what he tried to do by putting it though Bravo's legs. He should have just put it to either side of him but again Bravo did well. Just hope they can get him to forget the chances because he looked distraught at the end.

I haven't seen a replay so fair enough, just going by what I saw at the time. I thought the last one was a pretty rubbish finish tbh. Agree that he was awesome apart from that. Last night sum him up perfectly as a player tbh.

The player I walked away most excited about though was Ruben Vinagre. He's absolutely unreal. God I hope we sign him permanently.

Great to see Kortney Hause back as well. Hopefully we get to see more of him in the first team soon.

The player I walked away most excited about though was Ruben Vinagre. He's absolutely unreal. God I hope we sign him permanently.

Agree. I was moist watching his performance at Burton but after being given the runaround at the start of the game, he just kept getting more and more confidence. His ability is ridiculous. Sounds like we ARE buying him in January which would be very very exciting indeed because this lad can be as good as he wants to be.

There's something about the name Ruben....

I haven't seen a replay so fair enough, just going by what I saw at the time. I thought the last one was a pretty rubbish finish tbh. Agree that he was awesome apart from that. Last night sum him up perfectly as a player tbh.

Like i say he tried to put it through his legs and should have put it to the side but i can forgive him as he was absolutely shattered.

Along with Bright i'd agree on Ruben, he got tore apart for 20/30 minutes by Sterling which will have been good for him but he got better and better. Second half he defended like a top class left back and was one of the players still driving forward. His skill past Walker in extra time was outrageous, if only the pull back had been better. He's first choice for me.

Am I right in thinking Man City breached the rules making 2 subs in extra time meaning they made 4 in the end but your only allowed to make 1 in extra time if even if you’ve made only 2 in normal time.

Am I right in thinking Man City breached the rules making 2 subs in extra time meaning they made 4 in the end but your only allowed to make 1 in extra time if even if you’ve made only 2 in normal time.

Just seen this mentioned on Twitter - both City and Arsenal made 2 subs in extra time.

Just seen this mentioned on Twitter - both City and Arsenal made 2 subs in extra time.

Pretty sure if you’ve only made 1 sub in normal time you can make two in extra but my understanding is if you’ve made 1/2 in normal time you can’t make 2/3 in extra.
Reality is both will get a fine and a slap on the wrists can’t see disqualification or a replay.

I’m pretty sure you get a fourth sub for the extra time - so if you hadn’t used any in normal time you could put on four if you wanted.

Didn’t appear Bright tried to put it through his legs to me. Just the crappy side foot finish he always tries and fails at (did it Home last season in front of the North bank, can’t remember the opponent). Just needed to whip the last one across the keeper into bottom left (or whip it round him to right, literally anything other than what he did).

He played great, but he is always too causal in front of goal yet never executes it. Someone needs to have a word and tell him to start putting his foot thought the ball more.

Pretty sure if you’ve only made 1 sub in normal time you can make two in extra but my understanding is if you’ve made 1/2 in normal time you can’t make 2/3 in extra.
Reality is both will get a fine and a slap on the wrists can’t see disqualification or a replay.

As one of the extra time subs scored one of the penalties...

Back