• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Carabao Cup Build Up Thread

I thought that was a brilliant performance that would have bettered Liverpool last season if we could have just finished one of those chances!

I don't want to fault a single one of them. We've just given one of the best sides in the world one hell of a game, and fared better than most other sides they've played so far this season.

I'm finding it very hard to remain grounded after what I've seen so far this season. We look like SUCH a good side when it clicks, and even when it doesn't we're doing enough to win games. And despite some moaning about the starting XI yesterday (not wanting to get into a debate about that) we sent out what was effectively a 2nd choice XI with a couple of exceptions and put in such an impressive display against by far the best side we're going to have to face this season. And remarkably could and should have beaten them.

If we can do that with a 'weakened' Championship team, just think what we could achieve if we go on to win promotion and invest further in January and in the summer?

Massively encouraging, and it shows how well we did and how far we've come that we're all massively disappointed!!

This in spades!

What a coaching team we have (at long last) to get such performances from the whole squad

What did everyone make of Punjabi Wolves and their Dohl in the away end last night?

I enjoyed it, thought it added to the atmosphere. I was right up the back though, not sure how happy id have been if I was right next to it.
The lad used it sparingly to accompany the songs along which was the right thing to do. 120 mins of constant banging would have been a different matter.

Looked to be having great fun at half time in the concourse as well. The Ivan Cavaleiro song went on for about 10 mins non-stop.

I can see him doing a Bale tbh, and being moved further up the pitch

I said that too!

I think others have said it but if we have Jota, Cavaleiro and Bonatini up top i'd have backed us to win that game

We must absolutely preserve with Bright, he's got something about him which you just can't teach and at 19 he's only going to get better. I think his 'reputation' has been harmed somewhat by the fact he's been around the first team for a few years now. Against the premier league leaders he didn't look out of place

And where did Danny Baath learn to pass! Some of his passing last night was dissecting multiple city players - I've never seen him even try that before!

Hause looked like he'd never been away!

Id been thinking that marshall could play RWB but i'm becoming less and less enamoured by this, I don't think he's got the engine to do it - he may well be off in January

The maturity, decision making and composure shown by Ronan was amazing - he needs to be in squads and near the first team. After seeing him against Sane I wonder if he could play at RWB?

Has Timmy II really given Vinagre a 7 for last nights performance. A fucking 7....SEVEN, Fuck off

I made a comment about Bright in the heat of the moment last night and got criticised by quite a few people (despite saying in the very next post he's "been brilliant"), so you're on dangerous ground here :icon_lol:

In all seriousness, you've knocked the nail on the head. As good as Bright was, he simply *has* to be finishing one of his chances. I'm not going to criticise him or any of our side after a performance like that - to a man we were unbelievable - but we had the chances to win the game and having done all the hard work himself, if Bright had kept his composure with at least one of his shots, we would have been talking about knocking the best team in the country out of the cup this morning.

This.

He was absolutely brilliant in every other aspect of his play, but he must stick one of them away. He must.

I saw enough to give him more games though for sure. I was in favour of loaning him out before the game, not now.

The 1st one is the harder of the 3. Coming in at an angle and the covering defender has blocked the cut across Bravo. 2nd one, just hit it, no need to try and create another few inches of space and the 3rd..watch it back and you see Bravo running backwards, as Bright enters the area he still going back and that is when he should have hit it then but delaying for a split second put Bravo back in to save

Has Timmy II really given Vinagre a 7 for last nights performance. A fucking 7....SEVEN, Fuck off

Don't see much wrong with that personally, he got a lot better as the game went on but for majority of the first half he looked all at sea, Sterling was beating him for run and runners were just waltzing in behind him unchecked, so think 7/10 is reasonable enough when you balance it out.

Nah not for me. He was in the MOTM zone for me, so never a 7

After seeing our second eleven play like that I am proud of them. Was a bit dissappointed to see team sheet but after 10 mins when we settled down I thought we would win. Lets face it we should of won, but the application and effort to the sublime skillz of our second string was incredible. As I've moaned about Bright I will say the desire and skill he showed there last night against that opposition was magnificent. If he could have just finished that one at the death it would have been no more than only a fair return for his efforts. (and my cheeky bet would of paid for the tickets and night out). There are some good write ups on here so I wont bother with that just to say We were magnificent, this squad is magnificent, and we're going up. No Doubt
PS That fucking M6 was a bastard nightmare 2.30am

DM-9mPiWAAA2tFg.jpg

Did anyone see the off-the-ball incident between Bennett and one of theirs (Gundogan?) on the edge of the box in the first half? There was no TV close-up, but it was replayed a couple of times and the City fans seemed a bit miffed. The commentary I was listening to was in Polish, so I couldn't get much sense of what had occurred, but it looked as though it might have been a bit Cardiff-esque. I do hope not, since we didn't need to do anything like that to keep them out.

Did anyone see the off-the-ball incident between Bennett and one of theirs (Gundogan?) on the edge of the box in the first half? There was no TV close-up, but it was replayed a couple of times and the City fans seemed a bit miffed. The commentary I was listening to was in Polish, so I couldn't get much sense of what had occurred, but it looked as though it might have been a bit Cardiff-esque. I do hope not, since we didn't need to do anything like that to keep them out.

It was Bennett and Jesus, and it was just Jesus bumping into Bennett from what I could see.

If it had been any more i wouldn't be feeling too upset neither, and nor was I about Cardiff's tactics, you do everything you can to win within the laws of the game.

Not sure why Enobakahare is beating himself up - there enough "fans" who will do that for him. What I saw was two good examples of goalkeeping, Costa's was the easiest chance of the three.

Not sure why Enobakahare is beating himself up - there enough "fans" who will do that for him. What I saw was two good examples of goalkeeping, Costa's was the easiest chance of the three.

Agreed.

If we had signed Bright this season as a 19 year old prospect from Atletico or Porto, perception of him would be very much more positive (i'm not talking about this forum, just generally, there seems to be a lack of patience regarding Bright)

It was Bennett and Jesus, and it was just Jesus bumping into Bennett from what I could see.

If it had been any more i wouldn't be feeling too upset neither, and nor was I about Cardiff's tactics, you do everything you can to win within the laws of the game.

Glad to hear it, though fouls aren't within the laws of the game, whether they're noticed by the ref or not. Of course, I'd rather win than lose, but I'd rather win by playing football than by playing dirty.

They replied it loads on the steam I watched. Couldn’t really see much, but it did look as though bennet backed in to him. Not sure it was a foul though, he wasn’t looking at him.

Back