• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2017-2018

I remember thinking it was bizarre when Alonso moved from Sunderland to Fiorentina. Playing as an outright winger for them has advanced his game by a huge margin.

He’s got the lot other than pace tbf. Strength, aerial ability can score from anywhere, set pieces. I guess you don’t really need the pace if you’ve got good movement in a team with patient build up. Something Douglas doesn’t seem to do that much anymore, he rarely seems to get in round the outside anymore like he was at the start of the season.
The Douglas and Jota partnership looked magical early in the season but seems virtually none existent now. They had a really good understanding and frequently got in behind with little exchanges but can't remember the last time I saw that happen.

The Douglas and Jota partnership looked magical early in the season but seems virtually none existent now. They had a really good understanding and frequently got in behind with little exchanges but can't remember the last time I saw that happen.

Yep, Doherty gets plenty of ball but Douglas only ever gets it Deepand passes it back inside. He doesn’t make the charge forward off the ball like Dof does either. It’s shame it’s not the other way round as Douglas’ delivery is somewhat better than Docs.

Yep, Doherty gets plenty of ball but Douglas only ever gets it Deepand passes it back inside. He doesn’t make the charge forward off the ball like Dof does either. It’s shame it’s not the other way round as Douglas’ delivery is somewhat better than Docs.

Maybe Douglas is being directed to be more conservative than Doc?

Maybe Douglas is being directed to be more conservative than Doc?

Perhaps. I doubt it though. He’s just very slow so 1) doesn’t back him self running in behind and 2) doesn’t back himself to go at a man 1 on 1

It might be as much to do with the attacking player that's inside of them as much as anything they do themselves.

Is Jota now spending more time in narrower positions than he was earlier in the season? Linking more with Bonatini than Douglas as a result, don't think i ever saw Douglas really beat a man in early games but the little give and goes with Jota would often get in behind opponents, if he hasn't got that player in close proximity to play those passes anymore then it's understandable that he isn't offering the same level of threat that he did earlier in the season. It might be something that has been tweaked intentionally, Bonatini isn't a great threat from crosses so perhaps it's more functional to have Jota narrower and playing off him in those areas than having him wide to create an overload and get Douglas into dangerous crossing positions.

I think as the season has gone on Jota has become more inclined to carry the ball more himself too, certainly in some games when he's had a bit of physical treatment he seems to get a bit carried away with trying to take the whole world on, perhaps that is to the detriment of someone like Douglas who is more reliant on interaction with team mates to shine whereas Jota can look equally as good going on lone crusades.

I think that’s a reasonable assessment. However getting the full backs behind the line and looking for the cut back is a key avenue for us, which with better pass/cross selection would have resulted In more goals.

Jigsaw Mason has gone to Colorado.

From this midweek:

Ben Marshall played 88 minutes of Millwall's 2-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday and came close to scoring, zipping a shot just past the post. Only a brief cameo for Connor Ronan though; 12 minutes at the end of a win at Fleetwood. Dominic Iorfa lost his place in the team, despite a fine display at the weekend, staying on the bench against Cardiff.

I wouldn't mind so much when Mick drops Iorfa if it weren't for Jordan fucking Spence. He is appalling.

Pretty disappointed that Ronan isn't getting more time at Portsmouth.

I haven't caught any of him yet but apparently he's looking OK in the time he's getting, if not exactly setting the world on fire. General consensus seems to be irritation at Kenny for not making more use of him given that Pompey's issues are generally credited with a lack of genuine creativity.

Thought a few times on Weds Douglas got into good advanced positions and was then ignored for reasons unknown and we'd cut back into the middle.

I haven't caught any of him yet but apparently he's looking OK in the time he's getting, if not exactly setting the world on fire. General consensus seems to be irritation at Kenny for not making more use of him given that Pompey's issues are generally credited with a lack of genuine creativity.

Sounds familiar - like when we all kept getting frustrated about him picking not-Jacobs (eg Edwards) instead of Jacobs.

Sounds familiar - like when we all kept getting frustrated about him picking not-Jacobs (eg Edwards) instead of Jacobs.

A lot of the things they moan about generally sound very familiar!

Thought a few times on Weds Douglas got into good advanced positions and was then ignored for reasons unknown and we'd cut back into the middle.

That's true - Cav especially almost didn't seem to see him. Douglas was right in front of me and was going crazy at once. It was clearly our tactic to not cross the ball in though.

We saw that for 2 years. Dunno what happened to KJ after our first championship season.
Yep, also noticed this. The time when Cav ignored him in the 2nd half, running from the left hand side to the right into loads of bodies when Douglas was well clear was frustrating.

We don't cross the ball in the traditional sense. We more look to play an incisive pass into the middle for someone to run on to.

We saw that for 2 years. Dunno what happened to KJ after our first championship season.

Yep, also noticed this. The time when Cav ignored him in the 2nd half, running from the left hand side to the right into loads of bodies when Douglas was well clear was frustrating.

We don't cross the ball in the traditional sense. We more look to play an incisive pass into the middle for someone to run on to.

Indeed, earlier in the season we'd do a good job of using our wide players to isolate a full back and a simple pass-reverse pass would get us through on goal. With the amount of space they were granting Douglas it baffled me we weren't doing the same to them, admittedly the bus parkers have prevented it but it seemed on Wednesday at times we were intent on walking it in.

Congratulations to Wolves U23s midfielder @ChristianHerc who yesterday scored his first goal for @DAC_1904

#Loanwatch

From wolves academy twitter

Back