• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (H) 28/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
Nice easy one to be going on with while we're bottom of the league...

We're going to have to work on the basis that Yerson is injured. And really hope Toti is fit because can you imagine how slow a Dawson/Santi partnership would be. And hope a lot of things go in our favour. And hope our manager actually puts people in their proper position.

Still though, we'll probably sell out due to the number of Liverpool "fans" with WV postcodes so it's a big win for Jeff Shi.

------------------------------Johnstone--------------------------

Semedo-------------Dawson------------Toti------------Ait-Nouri

----------------------------André---------------------------------

---------------------J Gomes--------Lemina-----------------------

---------------Forbs-------Strand Larsen------Cunha----------------

2023/24: L 1-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2022/23: W 3-0 (H), L 0-2 (A), D 2-2 (A, FAC), L 0-1 (H, FAC)
2021/22: L 0-1 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2019/20: L 1-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2018/19: L 0-2 (H), L 0-2 (A), W 2-1 (H, FAC)
2016/17: W 2-1 (A, FAC)
2011/12: L 0-3 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2010/11: L 0-3 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 0-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2003/04: D 1-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)

Yeah, back to 5 at the back unfortunately if Mosquera is out, I don't trust Toti in a 4 and S. Bueno and Dawson are too slow to work as a partnership. I think Liverpool will scored 5 or 6 if we try to play a 4 with the options we've got available.

Seen a fair few people advocating a start for Doyle because Lemina/Andre/Gomes all too similar in the sense that they are “ball winners”. People suggesting we need someone who can put their foot on the ball and switch the play when required etc. Also a general consensus that Gomes picks up a lot of bookings & then walks a tightrope for the rest of the game.

Don’t necessarily agree. I just want Gaz to play them as an actual midfield three and stop with all the weirdness.

Seen a fair few people advocating a start for Doyle because Lemina/Andre/Gomes all too similar in the sense that they are “ball winners”. People suggesting we need someone who can put their foot on the ball and switch the play when required etc. Also a general consensus that Gomes picks up a lot of bookings & then walks a tightrope for the rest of the game.

Don’t necessarily agree. I just want Gaz to play them as an actual midfield three and stop with all the weirdness.
Yeah. I quite like Doyle but the issue isn't him not playing. It's us playing some weird formation where Lemina and Bellegarde wander everywhere. One shouldn't be tasked with that and one shouldn't be starting every game.

This has got disaster written all over it. I'd be amazed if we concede less than 3. Fun times.

Crazy that one injury and understandably many would revert to a back five. I'll go into the ground hoping for a win but I have a horrid feeling I'll be walking out hoping that the defeat will be enough to make them sack GO. Be nice to see a bit of discipline from whoever is picked, especially Lemina, and I'd like to see Forbs start.

I’d say I’d take a narrow loss but we’re in a needs must scenario, plus a good effort but no points sought of game gives the GON defence team another bit of ammo to assume points will come against lesser sides.
I don’t think we’ll score and will lose it routinely 0-3.

Yeah. I quite like Doyle but the issue isn't him not playing. It's us playing some weird formation where Lemina and Bellegarde wander everywhere. One shouldn't be tasked with that and one shouldn't be starting every game.
There’s sense in the argument to start Doyle in a midfield three, but I don’t think we do it against Liverpool. We’ll barely have any of the ball as it is & he’s probably too slow to have an impact in there in this particular game.

100% agree re; Lemina & Bellegarde.

We'll get absolutely rinsed in this one, we don't have the discipline to sit back and hit Liverpool on the break the way that Forest did. They'll score 3 against us at least.

I don't know what O'Neil will do with the starting line up. I'd like to see him get away from inexplicably picking Jean-Ricner Bellegarde for every fucking game so far despite him being a bang average squad option. I'd also like to see him drop Lemina, captain or not he's been directly costing us goals all season, he needs to sit on the bench for a week or 2 and compose himself.

We'll get absolutely rinsed in this one, we don't have the discipline to sit back and hit Liverpool on the break the way that Forest did. They'll score 3 against us at least.

I don't know what O'Neil will do with the starting line up. I'd like to see him get away from inexplicably picking Jean-Ricner Bellegarde for every fucking game so far despite him being a bang average squad option. I'd also like to see him drop Lemina, captain or not he's been directly costing us goals all season, he needs to sit on the bench for a week or 2 and compose himself.

It’s another damming situation that Forest now look more assured and resilient than us.
Another club that’s probably moved ahead of us due to our stupidity, as said we’re running out of clubs that are behind us fast.

Nice easy one to be going on with while we're bottom of the league...

We're going to have to work on the basis that Yerson is injured. And really hope Toti is fit because can you imagine how slow a Dawson/Santi partnership would be. And hope a lot of things go in our favour. And hope our manager actually puts people in their proper position.

Still though, we'll probably sell out due to the number of Liverpool "fans" with WV postcodes so it's a big win for Jeff Shi.

------------------------------Johnstone--------------------------

Semedo-------------Dawson------------Toti------------Ait-Nouri

----------------------------André---------------------------------

---------------------J Gomes--------Lemina-----------------------

---------------Forbs-------Strand Larsen------Cunha----------------

2023/24: L 1-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2022/23: W 3-0 (H), L 0-2 (A), D 2-2 (A, FAC), L 0-1 (H, FAC)
2021/22: L 0-1 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2019/20: L 1-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2018/19: L 0-2 (H), L 0-2 (A), W 2-1 (H, FAC)
2016/17: W 2-1 (A, FAC)
2011/12: L 0-3 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2010/11: L 0-3 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 0-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2003/04: D 1-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)

I’m with this team but - if we insist on a four - reluctantly, it has to be Santi and not Toti - the Liverpool press will play havoc with Toti’s inability to pass to a team mate that’s more than four feet away.

I like Doyle too but, obviously, only in a three and not in a central two. His pace and strength would worry me again these though, Liverpool move the ball so quickly he might struggle for basic “up and down” speed.

I’d like to see more from RAN too. For all the hype, I’m not sure he actually does enough in 90 minutes. Certainly I’d like to see him attack fullbacks more - he does “The Doc” too often and comes backwards and sideways.

I just want to see us organised and compete.

Not expecting much more.

But will we score first that's the question?

Given the current options I would actually go rush goalie, hope to win the kick off, put everyone up front and shout "next goal wins!" As soon as the game starts.

Positives - it might catch them off guard, even if they score it can only end 1-0.

Negatives - can't think of any.

Fly back from Italy on Saturday afternoon, not going to break my neck to get to Molineux to watch another stinking pile of shite so will watch on TV instead

Johnstone
Bueno, Dawson, Toti
Semedo, Gomes, Andre, Lemina, Ait-Nouri
Cunha, Larsen

Liverpool are obviously class but it's been noticeable the athleticism and pace they have in the middle when at their best, but I actually think we can compete with them on that front with this team.

Keep it tight, defend deep and counter (easy this managing :)).

Then do what Forest did and gradually go for it the longer the game goes on. I've been baffled at O'Neil's reluctance to use Forbs considering he seems to be the quickest player we have by far, and this seems another game we could need him late on. Maybe bring him on for Lemina if we're going to be a bit more adventurous.

As others have said, I fear a back four gets ripped apart but if we keep in it, the crowd will help and the Forest result proves they can be got at.

He needs to go 3 at the back for damage limitation reasons. Not convinced he will. King Canute comes to mind sometimes with Gazz.

He needs to go 3 at the back for damage limitation reasons. Not convinced he will. King Canute comes to mind sometimes with Gazz.
He doesn't. Playing a high line is the stupidity.

You can play 4 at the back on the edge of your own area and play on the counter.

I'd play deeper and try at least to go on the counter press rather than this stupid murderball stuff for 90 minutes.

Back