• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

Labour: 13,872

Conservatives: 12,680

Liberal Democrats: 9,420

Tories have held the seat since 1931 and since 1918 have held the seat for all but 4 years when the Libs had two runs of 2 years in 1922 and 1929

20.5% swing

Last edited:
I was busy playing online Risk and missed some stuff. But it's a good day/night

Very good night for Labour. Average night for the Lib Dems - picked up some votes but could have actually seen the Conservative accidentally elected. Absolute horror show for the Conservative Party. Losing one stonewall solid seat is unfortunate. Losing two is carelessness.

Also - a strangely decent night for Reform which just makes it an even bigger headache for Sunak. To get those votes back he needs to go Uber-Braverman. And that will destroy him in the centre and he will lose all of the red wall.

I'd imagine a lot of the reform voters will never vote for a Sunak led party due to a dislike of his origin.

Quite possibly. Low turn out suggests a mixture of Conservative vote staying at home and many of them flipping all over the place. Lib Dems and Reform were up as well in mid beds, although the Lib Dems suffered a very poor result in Tamworth.

Not sure how Sunak deals with the nest of vipers of extreme far right parties for whom even Braverman isn’t quite psycho enough.

Quite possibly. Low turn out suggests a mixture of Conservative vote staying at home and many of them flipping all over the place. Lib Dems and Reform were up as well in mid beds, although the Lib Dems suffered a very poor result in Tamworth.

Not sure how Sunak deals with the nest of vipers of extreme far right parties for whom even Braverman isn’t quite psycho enough.
Libdems invested next to nothing in Tamworth but both they and Labour piled the cash into beds. Defo a case of Tory vote abstaining though looking at turn out, don't know if that will translate to a GE though

Seats that flip at by elections because of turnout rather than votes moving parties tend to flip back at the GE. If Labour were to win a seat like Mid Beds in a GE then the Tories would only have a dozen or so left. As wonderful as that would be it's not realistic

Only a year to wait to find out. New Zealand had an election where the Conservative Party was almost wiped out completely. Maybe Sunak sees this as competition 😃

New Zealand's 2023 GE returned the National Party who are centre-right. Labour were defeated.

Eddie Hughes the MP from Walsall North who loses his seat at the next election because of boundary changes has already been selected to stand for the Conservatives.

I keep half an eye on him as Walsall North is where I grew up and can confirm that Hughes is basically a mid 2000s UKIP headbanger rather than what anyone would have recognised as a Tory pre-Cameron. Loathsome piece of shit.

Back