• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lettuce Liz then Tetchy Rish! and the battle to replace him

That old chestnut. Starmer refusing to nationalise energy firms is an ideological position. Faith in the market to solve all our problems is an ideological position. Not committing to full employment is an ideological position. Just different ideologies is all.
It's not though is it? Nothing you've said there is ideological, they are policy decisions routed in electoral realism. It's not really a cricitism, but the Corbyn left is based in deeply held none negotiable principles, which are at odds with electoral success. 49 years since Wilson won an election from something akin to that platform

That old chestnut. Starmer refusing to nationalise energy firms is an ideological position. Faith in the market to solve all our problems is an ideological position. Not committing to full employment is an ideological position. Just different ideologies is all.
He hasn't refused to do that at all. He thinks it would be too expensive and unrealistic to do in the short term.

He had said he wants to say up GB Energy which would be generator as well as supplier and, importantly, not for profit.

Last edited:
Corbyn spent most of his career sniping from the fringes of his own party, only to get very precious about dissent when he got the top job
I don't remember him organising coups, telling people not to vote Labour or talking of stabbing the leader 'in the front'.

It's not though is it? Nothing you've said there is ideological, they are policy decisions routed in electoral realism. It's not really a cricitism, but the Corbyn left is based in deeply held none negotiable principles, which are at odds with electoral success. 49 years since Wilson won an election from something akin to that platform
Nope, faith in the market is an ideological position. Having an acceptable level of unemployment is an ideological position. My ideology would have a smaller role for the market and a commitment to full employment. Agreeing or disagreeing is fine but it's all ideological.

He hasn't refused to do that at all. He thinks it would be too expensive and unrealistic to do in the short term.

He had said he wants to say up GB Energy which would be generator as well as supplier and, importantly, not for profit.
Yeah I got very excited about that at first but it seems it won't actually supply energy.

Yeah I got very excited about that at first but it seems it won't actually supply energy.
Not sure where you've read that but it will supply energy, all renewables too.

Not sure how they do that with the grid as it is but it will coincide with onshore wind and solar.

I think he meant supplying energy to households
That's a key thing that needs to be sorted.
This bizarre facade of energy "suppliers" that are just brokers with an almost complete disconnect from the actual energy producers.
Leaves us with bs like the farce that we always pay the rate of the most expensive energy to be produced regardless of how much that makes up of the mix.
It's such a con.

That's a key thing that needs to be sorted.
This bizarre facade of energy "suppliers" that are just brokers with an almost complete disconnect from the actual energy producers.
Leaves us with bs like the farce that we always pay the rate of the most expensive energy to be produced regardless of how much that makes up of the mix.
It's such a con.

The system is based on ideology rather than practicality. We could have a single state owned purchaser/generator and supplier of energy…but that is also an ideological position.

I know where I am politically, I think health, education, water and energy are the essentials of a healthy population and these should always be protected from the failings of the free market economy. These essentials should all be paid for primarily through our taxes.

I know where I am politically, I think health, education, water and energy are the essentials of a healthy population and these should always be protected from the failings of the free market economy. These essentials should all be paid for primarily through our taxes.
I would argue that in 2023, broadband is also an essential. Getting through life exclusively offline these days must be such a chore.

Social tariffs do exist but providers don't like to advertise that fact and they're still prohibitive for the very poorest.

Estonia class broadband as a human right, and the state heavily subsidise it, get Wi-Fi anywhere in the country, was great wild camping in the woods near a beach middle of nowhere and still getting Wi-Fi.
The buses and trams are free in big cities for locals, you have to register for it but no biggie

I would argue that in 2023, broadband is also an essential. Getting through life exclusively offline these days must be such a chore.

Social tariffs do exist but providers don't like to advertise that fact and they're still prohibitive for the very poorest.
I was trying to think of other things but got stuck wondering if Fish and Chips should be a state owned monopoly. It’s been a long week. But yes, broadband too.

Estonia class broadband as a human right, and the state heavily subsidise it, get Wi-Fi anywhere in the country, was great wild camping in the woods near a beach middle of nowhere and still getting Wi-Fi.
The buses and trams are free in big cities for locals, you have to register for it but no biggie
Im not sure just because it’s a right that it should be subsidised.

Just stating it’s what Estonia do, they must feel there’s a benefit

Keef is spot on. Estonian society is worth very closing paying attention to, their digital and technology capabilities are highly advanced. You can vote online too.

Back