• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't agree with Glasgow at all there Leo was superb against Brentford IMO, he isn't a fox in the box but has taken both his goals well. Our system dictates he sits deeper so we can blame him for not being higher up. His reactions in and around the box to make sure we keep the ball have been very good rather than trying to take pot shots from ridiculous angles as the likes of Dicko would. I can see why he's not everyone's cup of tea but pace isn't everything especially when he has pace around him in abundance.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

He read fuck all it was a bad pass to his feet he did not need to move

It wasn't at all. I saw it as good positioning, reading of the game and finishing. Of course if you want to see it as something different on TV you will.

I suppose his goal against Cardiff was pure luck and his positioning and reactions were sheer flukes, I'm amazed it didn't go in off his arse it was that lucky....

You can point to our lack of strikers all you like but I don't see a great deal of difference between playing Cav there if we have to (we don't know if he can do it, he played there twice under Zenga and we hoofed it at him, Leicester was a friendly) or Dicko (not one person on here thinks he was up to the task).

We tried to sign a striker, we failed, we shouldn't have really. Jürgen Locadia wasn't the only player in the world we could have signed. But Dicko was no better than what we have now.

You can point to our lack of strikers all you like but I don't see a great deal of difference between playing Cav there if we have to (we don't know if he can do it, he played there twice under Zenga and we hoofed it at him, Leicester was a friendly) or Dicko (not one person on here thinks he was up to the task).

We tried to sign a striker, we failed, we shouldn't have really. Jürgen Locadia wasn't the only player in the world we could have signed. But Dicko was no better than what we have now.

Indeed, not a day the soon to be sacked Thelwell will put on his CV.

Thanks for finally voting Glasgow. My OCD was killing me..

Indeed, not a day the soon to be sacked Thelwell will put on his CV.

I find it interesting (best word I can think of) that he wasn't put in front on Timmy II for the exclusive interview on Friday. His job is to be the man in charge of football recruitment but for large parts of this window he has been quiet. Maybe the rumours of Jeff getting Jorge out there to find a replacement are true and he is basically keeping a seat warm and nothing else (a lovely thought to cheer you up at the end of a week Colin...)

He played well against Brentford.

You reckon we could get the Southbank to sing this on Saturday...

Never in the history of the game has one man been to one game of football and become such an authority on the team.

You may not see a lot of difference between Dicko or Cavaleiro in the central position but everytime Nuno's made the choice this season Dicko got the nod out of the two, so on that basis it's easy to see why some feel the striker situation went backwards in the last week.

It's all well and good with majority on here having faith in what's left as back up options for Bonatini but it seems Nuno fancied Dicko above them despite his weaknesses. I wonder, given the benefit of hindsight, if those that signed off Dicko's departure would change their minds now knowing that a replacement wasn't going to arrive before the end of the window.

It's not quite that black and white.

Middlesbrough - Cav banned so no choice to make
Derby - Cav on for Leo on 65 minutes. Scored. Dicko came on for Jota with four minutes to go
Hull - Cav on for Bright on 60 minutes. Dicko on for Leo with 15 to go (scored).
Cardiff - Cav on for Bright on 58 minutes. Dicko on for Douglas with 12 to go straight after Cardiff re-took the lead and we changed system. Leo played the full 90.
Brentford - Cav on for Bright at HT. Dicko on for Leo with 12 to go.

Cav has been the first choice to come off the bench every time when available, Dicko hasn't played more than 15 minutes of a league game since the opening day and Cav was the one to replace Leo at Derby. They have the same number of league goals.

Dicko was all set to come on against Cardiff before we scored the equaliser, and then change got stopped until the Cardiff 2nd

Bonatini is fine within the balanced system which Nuno is looking to play with speed not the key element for the role, more the ability because of good awareness to release others into space. Good player with a tremendous opportunity to cement his selection.

Bonatini is fine within the balanced system which Nuno is looking to play with speed not the key element for the role, more the ability because of good awareness to release others into space. Good player with a tremendous opportunity to cement his selection.

Well you'd think so with no direct competition.

I was really impressed with Leo on Saturday, he missed one good chance, but that aside he was excellent, superb assist for the goal and his overall link up play throughout was great too, he was much more physical than he has been and was a willing runner behind the defence (such as in the good chance he missed).

With the (superb) assist at Forest as well, he has won us 4 points on his own with his play in the last 2 games, excellent.

I was really impressed with Leo on Saturday, he missed one good chance, but that aside he was excellent, superb assist for the goal and his overall link up play throughout was great too, he was much more physical than he has been and was a willing runner behind the defence (such as in the good chance he missed).

With the (superb) assist at Forest as well, he has won us 4 points on his own with his play in the last 2 games, excellent.

Agreed. Had two half chances where Barnsley players just managed to get back in time and block the shot as well.

Agreed. Had two half chances where Barnsley players just managed to get back in time and block the shot as well.

There is no doubt his link up play is excellent, however his finishing, and Pace are not as good as they should be his shot into the SB on Sat was really poor

There is no doubt his link up play is excellent, however his finishing, and Pace are not as good as they should be his shot into the SB on Sat was really poor

The one from Jota's through ball? Not having that, he only just missed and he was running at pace when he hit it. A lot harder chance than it looked.

It's a bit strange because his composure when playing people in is top notch

Back