• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are hardly going to be in the business of signing players who "aren't good enough", are we?

Leo can do an adequate job. At least.

However, Locadia would have been even better and that would have been ace. Therefore, no Locadia means we are back in the same position. Leo is good enough. The number of striking options isn't.

It really isn't that hard to comprehend.

EP - you're answering the wrong question.

'Is Leo Bonatini good enough' is the question. You seem to be making up another which isn't the question on this poll.

I'll be honest - I expected another striker, and feeling greedy after this summer, I wanted an upgrade on Leo. That's not to say I don't think Leo is good enough for this league, because from what I've seen he is. So I voted 'yes'. That's not revisionism, it's my opinion on Bonatini's ability.

His lack of pace, his lack of dynamism and physicality, i think long term Jota will play down the middle and Leo will be the one coming off the bench - which will prove that he isn't good enough.

Of course i very much hope i am wrong.

I've no issue with this bit though - your opinion on the question asked. Fair enough.

Excuse me? So unless Nuno explicitly says something we can't make assumptions? I guess because Shi said yesterday that a striker wasn't our priority that is true, because he said it?

So one of you is arguing that you should always buy better, and another is arguing that Nuno didn't want to buy better than Leo, despite the fact we had a 10million bid accepted. I guess as we are so rich now we will happily spend 10million on a back up striker!?

I think the squad system seems to be alien to you. I can't speak for anybody else but I was happy with Leo having seen him play but if we could get better then great. I thought we'd get another body in when Dicko left as you did. As it is I am on record on deadline day as saying I'm happy with Wilson being given his chance as we do now have a youth focus.

I wouldn't have baulked at Locadia mind you but I don't really know how good he is. He wouldn't have played every game and neither will Leo, that's why you have a squad.

And no you can't make just make up something somebody hasn't said, that's why I asked otherwise Langer's sig becomes true.

I think the squad system seems to be alien to you. I can't speak for anybody else but I was happy with Leo having seen him play but if we could get better then great. I thought we'd get another body in when Dicko left as you did. As it is I am on record on deadline day as saying I'm happy with Wilson being given his chance as we do now have a youth focus.

I wouldn't have baulked at Locadia mind you but I don't really know how good he is. He wouldn't have played every game and neither will Leo, that's why you have a squad.

I don't know anything about Locadia and I've not seen Wilson yet but otherwise I'm with you.

Is he good enough for what though? If the question was is he good enough to play in the championship, or to be part of a squad pushing for promotion in the championship, then I think the answer is almost certainly yes. If the question was, is he good enough to be first choice striker in a team pushing for promotion (which he will be), then I have my doubts to be honest.

Can he deal with the pressure of been first choice? Can he remain effective when playing week in week out, or when not 100% fit?

The question itself is open to interpretation imv.

I tend to agree with Elephant Pyjamas to a degree here. Whichever way you look at it Leo has played very few games, we thought Tongo Doumbia was incredible after 4 or 5 games. You can't really say he's a quality striker. Is he good enough? I don't really know, I voted yes because from what I've seen the signs are positive, however, it's very early days and I do have doubts over his ability. I never once thought he was going to be our main striker when we signed him. As I've alluded to previously, it's not the end of the world, we just have to understand that gaining promotion is going to be more difficult than if we'd signed another striker who would have benefited the first team.

His lack of pace, his lack of dynamism and physicality, i think long term Jota will play down the middle and Leo will be the one coming off the bench - which will prove that he isn't good enough.

Of course i very much hope i am wrong.

Fair enough. I personally don't think his strength is an issue but I've only seen him live once so I may be wrong.

I would have loved another striker to have joined this summer, but it needed to be someone who fitted the system, and if we couldn't get one through them we go with what we have. We've had a great window, one more striker and it would have been perfect, but we have more than enough to still be in the Top 6 come January

I tend to agree with Elephant Pyjamas to a degree here. Whichever way you look at it Leo has played very few games, we thought Tongo Doumbia was incredible after 4 or 5 games. You can't really say he's a quality striker. Is he good enough? I don't really know, I voted yes because from what I've seen the signs are positive, however, it's very early days and I do have doubts over his ability. I never once thought he was going to be our main striker when we signed him. As I've alluded to previously, it's not the end of the world, we just have to understand that gaining promotion is going to be more difficult than if we'd signed another striker who would have benefited the first team.
So we can't know any of the new boyz is good enough can we as it's early days. I'm prepared to say that Ruben Neves (amongst others) is a good player after just a few games and IMO Bonatini will be fine when as we improve we will create much more. We will need to get another striker in though. We have real class coming back from injury too it's never been better than this at Wolves this aint a owner that just wants to be in the prem they want to compete up there and are building with that in mind. That bastard Mendez should get us Ronaldo and stop prick teasing.

Shi said yesterday that we only looked at players who were upgrades at the end of the window. Therefore any striker we signed would be better than Bonatini.

So yes we have said they were looking to sign someone better.

Put me in the Nay camp.

He's doing ok don't get me wrong, but only his two goals have saved him from getting a slating, and one of them was gifted to him on a plate. Personally I don't think he does enough during games and doesn't have enough strength to impose himself on the defenders or a game in general. He doesn't seem to know how to get in behind a defence, and he floats about waiting for the ball and then it's either a quick layoff or lose the ball. He loses the vast majority of high balls too.

Clearly the club wanted to upgrade on him and I doubt they expected or wanted to be going to January with just him and the array of AMs to cover him.

Shi said yesterday that we only looked at players who were upgrades at the end of the window. Therefore any striker we signed would be better than Bonatini.

So yes we have said they were looking to sign someone better.

So not Nuno then before the window shut. Not like you to be a contrary so and so and use facts just to fit your point is it?

We weren't trying to sign any more CBs, because we are happy with the quality of them.

As i said, the fans, Jeff and Nuno have all been saying we need a striker, because we are not good enough in that area, so for pretty much everyone on here to now suggest that Leo is good enough, is a bit daft as just 4 days ago they wanted someone else to play up front instead of him.

My opinion is we need 6 forwards for the 3 positions and I would have liked a better 6th than Zyro. I haven't seen anyone suggest that we need to replace Leo.

My opinion is we need 6 forwards for the 3 positions and I would have liked a better 6th than Zyro. I haven't seen anyone suggest that we need to replace Leo.
I think that's a bit too broad brush personally, the 3 front positions don't require the same skill set, really you should be splitting it 4 and 2 for the outer and central positions. At the minute any cover for the central position is at least a bit square peg.

I think that's a bit too broad brush personally, the 3 front positions don't require the same skill set, really you should be splitting it 4 and 2 for the outer and central positions. At the minute any cover for the central position is at least a bit square peg.

Not really, if they were natural wingers then I would agree, but I think we have players in the front three that can play the centre role too. Cav and Jota for sure, possibly Costa too.

Not really, if they were natural wingers then I would agree, but I think we have players in the front three that can play the centre role too. Cav and Jota for sure, possibly Costa too.
I'm not so convinced personally, positionally it might not be a million miles away but the way they're asked to operate is completely different. Cavaleiro has done a job in the middle a few times but none of those mentioned are going to be a focal point up there in the same way Bonatini is, playing with his back to goal majority of the time. If you were looking to get 8 defenders in a squad to cover your back 4 then you wouldn't be content with 2 fullbacks and 6 centre halves.

If you were looking to get 8 defenders in a squad to cover your back 4 then you wouldn't be content with 2 fullbacks and 6 centre halves.

Depends if your manager is Tony Pulis I guess

:icon_lol:

I personally think Cavaleiro does more than just a 'job' as the main forward. He has plenty of experience playing as a striker

:icon_lol:

I personally think Cavaleiro does more than just a 'job' as the main forward. He has plenty of experience playing as a striker

Yeah he definitely can do more than a job and so can Jota. They are both different to Bonatini but both have the capability to get hold of the ball and play those little lay offs to bring others in to the game, they can also get hold of it and run at defenders which Leo can't really so they would both add something different. If we do play with one of those up top it would make the opposition think too, the centre halves would not have anyone to mark as such and that isn't easy to do because they are used to doing it.

I was one that said before deadline day that i wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't bring anyone in because for me Leo will get better and we then have options to do something different with Cav and Jota that i think will work too.

Back