• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

Tim Spiers@tim_spiers_Star 1m1 minute ago

Been to see Lambert today. Not sugarcoating mess Wolves are in but he has fervent belief in his players to get out of it. See E&S this week.

He has to have that belief; they're all he's got now.

He had a month to bring in new players. He didn't, so he must think these players are good enough. And that is worrying.
Oversimplifying the transfer process a bit there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

As a general query, what do people think it would take for Fosun to pull the trigger on Lambert?
(I'm in the "give him the summer/a transfer window/a pre-season" camp)

It'd be tough to entice good talent to a CH relegation dogfight (assuming Lambert was sacked) despite the riches of our owners meaning we'd have a vastly depleted pool to choose from as well, making it less likely he'd be sacked.

[which could leave the club open to a Rob Edwards/Terry Connor styled situation all over again (although Edwards' horrendous performance in the job before might be enough to stop that).]

You can make average players play effectively to a system and the great coaches get the best out of average players. Every successful team however does have one or two stars or more. We had sako dicko and afobe for instance who compensated for our less than average midfield and defence. This year on our best day we are an average team. We need to flash the cash I am afraid but it has been said so many times its really boring.

It was a real risk to do so little business in January. I hope it doesn't backfire

As a general query, what do people think it would take for Fosun to pull the trigger on Lambert?
(I'm in the "give him the summer/a transfer window/a pre-season" camp)

It'd be tough to entice good talent to a CH relegation dogfight (assuming Lambert was sacked) despite the riches of our owners meaning we'd have a vastly depleted pool to choose from as well, making it less likely he'd be sacked.

[which could leave the club open to a Rob Edwards/Terry Connor styled situation all over again (although Edwards' horrendous performance in the job before might be enough to stop that).]

Loses the next 2 and we slide into the bottom 3. He and Thelwell will be gone.

If Rowett would say yes, I'd sack him tomorrow. I think he'll get to the end of the season come what may though and will start next if we stay up. If we go down he will be rightfully sacked.

How many points were we away from relegation when Lambert signed ?

Unless there is someone lined up who is better (& I really don't have any name to fill that spot at the moment) then he is likely to stay till the end of the season.

As I cannot see any improvement from anyone else already in the club then that's probably the least worse option.

As to next season - depends whether the Fosun management have seen enough to allow him to carry on.

You can make average players play effectively to a system and the great coaches get the best out of average players. Every successful team however does have one or two stars or more. We had sako dicko and afobe for instance who compensated for our less than average midfield and defence. This year on our best day we are an average team. We need to flash the cash I am afraid but it has been said so many times its really boring.

It was a real risk to do so little business in January. I hope it doesn't backfire

Cash isn't necessarily the issue, it's wages (which I appreciate is cash) recruitment and development, look at Burnley when they first won promotion and then look at Brentford and there recruitment of talented players, or Preston and their spending, imagine our wage bill is fair greater than there's is. Completely lost faith in Lambert, maybe like many I am over valuing what I've seen but Saiss looked a real player and he didnt even seem to try Prince, seems to have that Mick McCarthy love of British players, but not the okay technical ones. The horse crap run around type. I am so close to not caring about us as a club again.

With a worse record than Saunders, I think there is every possibility that Lambert could take Wolves down. Surely our owners must do something about this situation. Though they are to blame for the two managerial appointments since they took over.

How many points clear are we now? 6 defeats in a row is truly shocking

They are at fault for allowing Thelwell have a say in the latest appointment

Attacking the owners is just daft. We're in this message because of shit players and shit management.

With a worse record than Saunders, I think there is every possibility that Lambert could take Wolves down. Surely our owners must do something about this situation. Though they are to blame for the two managerial appointments since they took over.

Not the time for this is it Frank?

I still think we'll pull clear - 6 defeats on the spin is disgraceful, as is our overall position. To be in this position makes me very cross but I think we'll pick up enough points. It won't mask a poor season by any means and points towards a major clear out of players and staff in the summer.

I just hope I'm right - I said this 4 years ago and got it wrong.....

They are at fault for allowing Thelwell have a say in the latest appointment

Whilst I don't think Lambert was a good choice, this sums up the real problems at the club.

Thelwell and his obsession with the academy and patting himself and the staff on the back.

His article in the programme from the Blues game is a joke.

With a worse record than Saunders,

Dan, could you stick up a comparison in a bit of detail, of Saunders' time here and how it compares to Lambert please?

It's not about our owners Frank, I think they have Lambert, about whom I'm unconvinced still, on a fairly short lead, though I did post after the Birmingham game, having seen Wigan, Burton and Birmingham and just spent the money they have, just what the fuck do they imagine they've gotten into here, having chosen Zenga, then clearly learnt that lesson, appointed Lambert?

Back