• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lambert

Worry for me with Lambert is how much control he has - the extended contracts for mediocre players is worrying. If he does then that reduces my faith in him further - if he doesn't then I have to wonder who is running the show
That's club policy, nothing to do with whoever is Head Coach

Performances in games such as Liverpool, Stoke, Villa, Barnsley (apparently - going by heresay on this one).

I don't think it's accurate to say it's been 100% awful. I'd like to see what he can do with his own squad. Which this clearly isn't.

I'd like to add that I'm not pleased with his performance just lately, with his tactics or lineups. Just that I'd rather wait to judge him fully after he's had the chance to properly stamp his mark on the club.

I admire your optimism and I would agree Lambert can't be this bad. I will caveat that with the 2 players he's added seem to be on the crapper side of transfer dealings. But then his tactics have been terrible over the last 3 league games.

I admire your optimism and I would agree Lambert can't be this bad. I will caveat that with the 2 players he's added seem to be on the crapper side of transfer dealings. But then his tactics have been terrible over the last 3 league games.
I've always disagreed with you about Marshall who I think is a decent signing in principle. But surely no one can disagree that playing him when he's criminally unfit is just ridiculous?

Other thread got closed so I'll put this here:

Meeting or no, I think it's not long now before Fosun start swinging a hatchet with wild abandon.

I fully expect a backroom massacre before next season.

Hope so - the clubs soft and there's no winning mentality. The change is long long long overdue.

His tactics and team selections have been dreadful in the last few matches.

Sometimes it amazes me that football managers can make such horrible errors when almost all of us laymen can see straight away that it's an error. I do not understand it.

Hopefully he learns, he almost had me convinced but he's a long way off again. Another terrible selection, with similarly terrible tactics and subsequent terrible performance will surely lead to him losing many fans.

Its time to get rid of the all the backroom staff as this has been happening under every manager, time for a complete change.

Its time to get rid of the all the backroom staff as this has been happening under every manager, time for a complete change.

Welcome to my world Dazza... I said before Lambert was installed as manager that we needed an entire clean out. DoF, Medical and coaching staff, the lot. Lambert has brought one man in with him but is stuck with Mountain, Daley and Edwards. Those three were kept to provide "smooth transition" from manager to manager but all they have provided is the same players being selected, some out of position just to keep them in the side!
Mountain; Joined in 2008 and has worked under MM, Solbaken, Saunders, Jackett, Zenga and Lambert. He has coached Hennessey, Ikeme and a host of other keepers and we don't have a single one that can command his area, not one and that is down to poor coaching.
The Medical/Daley; Joined 2007; Misdiagnosis of injuries, failure to get players fit to expected schedule, players consistently "breaking down" before return. It's Mickey Mouse stuff at times.
Rob Edwards; I have no idea what prompted his elevation from the U18's/Academy as their performances were pretty woeful under his watch while Scott Sellars is doing a pretty good job with the U23's. Edwards is another coach who seems to be swaying towards the old, tried and proven not good enough players, unwilling to change.
DoF; Kevin Thelwell. Joined 2008; How on earth this man is deemed competent in his role is beyond me. We haven't half signed some dross in his time, his success rate must be in the 20% area and that is not good enough.

In conclusion, Fosun need to wield the axe and quickly. Lambert needs to bring in the coaching staff he wants to work with and a fresh approach to staff and players needs implimenting. How a club of our size operates with just 3 coaches under the manager is amazing.

Ikeme doesn't command his box because he's fucking shit. Never been Hennessey's game either, he's 30 now and that side of his game hasn't developed in three years at Palace.

On the fitness side we've had numerous periods where our injury record relative to the rest of the division (whichever one we've been in) has been amongst the best.

Thelwell's only been DoF since late 2012 I think?

Not to say we don't need changes but some of the charges are spurious at best.

The keeper released because of drugs (can never remember his name), Burgoyne, any other of the keepers out on loan, none of them can command the area. I just hope Mountain hasn't ruined young Ruddy as he looked pretty good at ?Bury? academy/U17 level

We could bring Walt back as GK coach

Not sure our keepers would adapt to training three days at Compton, three days in Dubai.

I wouldn't trust Zenga to coach anyone to use a tin opener.

Tim Flowers and Bobby Mimms are both available and I'd prefer either to Pat Mountain

Maybe Mike Stowell will leave Leicester depending on who the new manager is

Not sure our keepers would adapt to training three days at Compton, three days in Dubai.

I wouldn't trust Zenga to coach anyone to use a tin opener.

Can see it now: 'Opening Tins with Walt' a 2 minute special on the Wolves Player with commentary from Mikey Burrows.

Tim Flowers and Bobby Mimms are both available and I'd prefer either to Pat Mountain

I'd take them both in a heart beat, i don't get to see how they train throughout the week but i've seen enough warm ups to know that Mountain is pretty poor.

I think sometimes a coach is only as good as the players he's got under his charge. Find the three best goalkeeping coaches in the world, let them all work together in the most intensive fashion possible and they'll never make anything out of Carl Ikeme because he isn't very good.

As before, not to especially big up Pat Mountain because I couldn't say either way whether he's any good (I'm never in the ground to watch him warm the keepers up for instance). But it's a lot bloody easier to work with Matt Murray than it is what we have now, there's a fair deal of reflected glory that goes Mimms' way when Matt's natural talent was out of this world in the first place. It's not like he started out being a bit of a wallflower and then became a beast.

Tim Spiers@tim_spiers_Star 1m1 minute ago

Been to see Lambert today. Not sugarcoating mess Wolves are in but he has fervent belief in his players to get out of it. See E&S this week.

Back