• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

What would you do differently?
I’d have sold him earlier when his value was higher and there was a firm offer on the table, and then re-invested it in the squad rather than pissing around for the sake of an extra £5m here or there.

We all knew the situation surrounding his contract and this stinks of another situation where Jeff (or whoever) has gone “ah, he’ll sign it eventually. Let’s not budge and make him sweat”. Now it’s the club that’s losing out again.

Ultimately my opinion counts for nothing, but the evidence is there in black and white that we’ve been shit at doing deals for some time. I will caveat that by saying we got the better end of the Patricio/Sa transfer, before someone points that out.

I’d have sold him earlier when his value was higher and there was a firm offer on the table, and then re-invested it in the squad rather than pissing around for the sake of an extra £5m here or there.

We all knew the situation surrounding his contract and this stinks of another situation where Jeff (or whoever) has gone “ah, he’ll sign it eventually. Let’s not budge and make him sweat”. Now it’s the club that’s losing out again.

Ultimately my opinion counts for nothing, but the evidence is there in black and white that we’ve been shit at doing deals for some time. I will caveat that by saying we got the better end of the Patricio/Sa deal, before someone points that out.
Methinks you have 20:20 hindsight….

More than we paid for him, 18 months left on his contract and pretty clear he isn't signing another. About right for now, should have sold him in the Summer when we could have got £30m from Spurs
Completely bizarre we kept Adama with that money on the table when it's blatantly obvious he doesn't fit any style of play Lage has.

Completely bizarre we kept Adama with that money on the table when it's blatantly obvious he doesn't fit any style of play Lage has.
IIRC didn't Lage say at some point that keeping Adama this past summer was one of his asks when taking the job?

FWIW I’d keep Adama rather than sell him for £20m. Our squad would be poorer without him unless a replacement comes in.
Me too. But it’s Fosun’s world that we live in and they probably think Neto is his replacement and it’s another £20m in the kitty.

Hindsight is 20/20 ay.

Personally I think we're doing quite well just to recoup the fee we paid given Adama has, what, 1 goal contribution this season? And how many over the last two seasons combined, maybe 5? It's honestly a bit mad that Spurs would offer as much as they supposedly have.
Saiss has scored more PL goals than Adama.

Last season Saiss had a g/a of 0.14 per 90 minutes
Adama was 0.14 last season

This season Saiss is 0.11 and Adama is 0.00

Statistically Adama isn't very effective at all.

Me too. But it’s Fosun’s world that we live in and they probably think Neto is his replacement and it’s another £20m in the kitty.
I mean.

I'd take that deal tbf.

Was the gamble he would “come good”. Hasnt (again) unsurprisingly. Another manager wants a go now though so take the money and watch from the outside.

Does anybody think there is an Arsenal fan that's working subversively at Spurs ??
Doherty in a back four, now Adama as a wingback, what's next Pod as a centre half ??
In a libero role

Sounds like the fee being floated around for Adama is £20m. Very disappointing if true. Not saying he’s *worth* more, we all know what he is, but is he really worth £15m less than what we paid for Fabio? Adama was being quoted as £40m+ at one point.

Have to say, Fosun have an extremely alarming track record of poor decisions/deals over recent years since Uncle Jorge stopped helping them about every 5 minutes. It’s concerning.
Meh can’t really compare deals like that IMO. Will always be some that are better value than others.

Do agree that the track record seems to almost be the norm given the last few windows

IIRC didn't Lage say at some point that keeping Adama this past summer was one of his asks when taking the job?
He’s one of those players a manager looks at and thinks ‘if I can get him to do this’, and then realise they can’t. League 2 technical/mental ability with his physicals afterall would probably be a good premier league player. Would appear it’s someone else’s turn to experiment

Technically he's Premier League, mentally he's Thursday night Power League.

Bin him off.
Think you’re over egging the technicals massively - crossing,passing,shooting etc. But the time has come to cash in.

All well and good him going, but he will need replacing. If they’re selling for the sake of selling but not looking to replace then il be concerned

Think you’re over egging the technicals massively - crossing,passing,shooting etc. But the time has come to cash in.

All well and good him going, but he will need replacing. If they’re selling for the sake of selling but not looking to replace then il be concerned
Athletically, he’s Ballon d’Or, technically and mentally he’s just a PL impact player.

Back