• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I know we would all like to see two or three incoming transfers this month but it's not exactly a secret that getting a fair deal in January is much tougher than in July.
I must have read 100+ posts like this across various forums/social media in the last 2 days alone.

This isn’t a reason to accept another poor window. It just makes our business in the summer look even worse.

If we were planning on going big in any window for the foreseeable, surely it would have been the Summer window just gone, to allow the manager to get in his own players to play in the system and style he wants.

It's not going to happen, they have cut back the spending now. The only thing that remains is to have a look at the accounts when they are released to see what if anything is happening with the money the club is actually generating. If they are paying back money lent by Fosun, this minimal net spend business is here to stay for a while.

Whilst I don’t think we are broke, and don’t understand why we haven’t been spending (granted my understanding of FFP is minimal’, I would imagine that there is 100% no hiding place this summer.

They’ve used the loss from our championship year as a reason to balance the books with transfer spend, and our first season, however this is year 4 in the prem so those losses don’t come into play now.

Whilst I’ve not been as critical of the lack of spending as some as can see reasons for it (kinda), there is absolute no reason I can logically think of for a nice kitty for Bruno this summer. If not, then I’m outta ideas

Whilst I don’t think we are broke, and don’t understand why we haven’t been spending (granted my understanding of FFP is minimal’, I would imagine that there is 100% no hiding place this summer.

They’ve used the loss from our championship year as a reason to balance the books with transfer spend, and our first season, however this is year 4 in the prem so those losses don’t come into play now.

Whilst I’ve not been as critical of the lack of spending as some as can see reasons for it (kinda), there is absolute no reason I can logically think of for a nice kitty for Bruno this summer. If not, then I’m outta ideas
I can't really see any reasons for it, I'm not talking a ridiculous splurge but some investment at least, out of the fund the club itself has generated is necessary.

Last season we got told no major deals get done in January and to wait until the Summer, the Summer window was disappointing. Now it's the old "January is difficult to do deals in" again, before we cycle back once more.

You say there will be no excuses but there always is, some of the very same people that swallowed the FFP excuse (which Jeff back peddled on) are now using the Chinese government (which Jeff has already admitted is not an issue.)

People are absolutely kidding themselves if they think that Fosun aren't guilty of ten times worse, to ten times more people, than Amazon ffs.

On transfers - we know nothing significant is coming in, but that doesn't mean that's OK and shouldn't be criticised. We've had excuses and/or lies about this strategy for years.

The club's simps are part of the problem. They buy into the need for 'sustainability', then FFP, Chinese investment, then when all that's done it'll just be 'I'd rather be mid table blah than be Portsmouth' as if there's nothing in between.

The club's simps are part of the problem. They buy into the need for 'sustainability', then FFP, Chinese investment, then when all that's done it'll just be 'I'd rather be mid table blah than be Portsmouth' as if there's nothing in between.
With one of their favourite lines "This is not a computer game/football manager" 🤦‍♂️

Jeff Shi is doing an excellent Mike Ashley impression . Can Jeff Bezos buy us out? 😂 you can only hope. Mind you seeing Adama in a shirt with prime stamped on it would just be meme fodder. Fosun have turned into an early sexual experience for teenage boys . Bright start , piqued interest quickly, lots of fumbling in the dark followed by a few sweet nothings and finishing with I am sorry that’s never happened before.

Ashley knows what he is, the Geordies knew what he is. A deeply unlikeable cunt with no redeeming qualities.

With all that said, he didn't ramp up their cheapest season ticket to the 4th most expensive in the league with increases ranging from £204-269 across the board within four years and during a pandemic.

Top six pricing for bottom six investment.

Imagine handing the moral high ground to Mike fucking Ashley.

I must have read 100+ posts like this across various forums/social media in the last 2 days alone.

This isn’t a reason to accept another poor window. It just makes our business in the summer look even worse.
The point isn't so much that we should accept a poor window as much as recognizing that in January it's easier to bring players in and still have it be a bad window because the value props are so much worse this month.

Not at all making excuses, just trying to be pragmatic.

I can't really see any reasons for it, I'm not talking a ridiculous splurge but some investment at least, out of the fund the club itself has generated is necessary.

Last season we got told no major deals get done in January and to wait until the Summer, the Summer window was disappointing. Now it's the old "January is difficult to do deals in" again, before we cycle back once more.

You say there will be no excuses but there always is, some of the very same people that swallowed the FFP excuse (which Jeff back peddled on) are now using the Chinese government (which Jeff has already admitted is not an issue.)

Only thing I can see them using as an excuse is the FFP. I don’t look at the accounts, so my knowledge on it all is more or less limited to the ‘net spend’ logic, as which first two years we spent more than we sold in transfers. That’s the only reason as to why I can see the reins have been pulled in. (Also the lack of success with our more recent windows has come back to
Bite us)

With the first 2 seasons no longer being applicable then the over spending argument can’t be used, is what I am getting at.

Regarding January, it’s very rare any huge deals are done anyway, so if we don’t get any players through the door it’s not really out of kilter. I’ll definitely be in the worried camp if we don’t spend in summer

I Only thing I can see them using as an excuse is the FFP. I don’t look at the accounts, so my knowledge on it all is more or less limited to the ‘net spend’ logic, as which first two years we spent more than we sold in transfers. That’s the only reason as to why I can see the reins have been pulled in. (Also the lack of success with our more recent windows has come back to
Bite us)

With the first 2 seasons no longer being applicable then the over spending argument can’t be used, is what I am getting at.

Regarding January, it’s very rare any huge deals are done anyway, so if we don’t get any players through the door it’s not really out of kilter. I’ll definitely be in the worried camp if we don’t spend in summer
Jeff must love you

They've already gone back on the FFP stuff and admitted it's not an issue.

They love their gotchas don't they. They're literally the only people who reference spending £200m a window in their weird defend the club stance. Nobody in the real world is suggesting spending that but should we be able to match a fee that a Crystal Palace? Leicester? Villa? would be willing to spend? absolutely. Nobody expects us to compete with City or Chelsea, nor do they expect us to spend with reckless abandon like Everton.

I've just had it with one on Twitter trying to say we don't have a small squad and listed 8 players with a combined 196 career appearances. We don't have a small squad but almost 25% of the one we do have, have played fewer than 25 games each between them.

Back