• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Lambert has scored under 10 goals in his last 100 odd appearances looking at Wiki and turns 35 next month.

He'd be Grant Holt all over again, a good striker once upon a time but a shell now.

Yes, but Ricky has had lots of clubs so he must be good.

As has been said earlier, I'd be content with blooding the youngsters coming through, rather than nothing signings being made.
Lets allow Ronan, Enobahare, Gibbs-White and several others have an opportunity in this procession of dead rubbers. Then spend the summer looking at what we'll need, as well as who can make the step up.

A little bit dangerous to be talking about them as dead rubbers, although we should be fine if we have a couple of defeats and results go against us then it could get a bit close for comfort. Hopefully the players know they are fighting to be in Lambert's plans for next year and push to finish as high as possible.

Lambert has scored under 10 goals in his last 100 odd appearances looking at Wiki and turns 35 next month.

He'd be Grant Holt all over again, a good striker once upon a time but a shell now.

feciously I would point out that Bod and Dicko have scored less between them in recent games Dicko has 0 in 18 Bod has 2 in 25 whereas Lambert has 4 in 18. Hardly prolific granted but 4 more than Dicko .That would equate to 6 points if he scored in the right games. I agree he is getting on now but if he knows where the net is at this level and we are creating ( and for once folks we are a creative side with Costa and Cav in it) Lambert could give us a bit of a boost this year and be a decent impact sub next after summer investment has taken place. I would give him a punt, especially as he is ex baggie and can join the ranks of Bully, Big Cyril and Don Goodman who played for both in recent years!

I should explain my ire for Thelwell for those who think I have an irrational hatred/ voodoo doll/ Ray Finkle thing going on.

I am very fortunate to have worked (if you can call it that) with and met some of the greatest scouts in football (imo) along with some right dross. I've seen good men lose their job for no reason, get looked over for promotion needlessly or just never quite at the right place at the right time. But the worst piece of HR in football is keeping the clearly inept on and worse still get promoted. Watching the talentless with crap ideas push them through with Chairmen and directors who should know better. And I include one of my ex-bosses in that too.

I know it happens in all walks of life and all types of company I just wish it didn't happen at the club I support.

It's called "the Peter principle" (in a book written by Lawrence Peter) where less than capable people operate on the premise of social exchange (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours) with their superiors and thereby rise to their highest level of incompetence!

It's called "the Peter principle" (in a book written by Lawrence Peter) where less than capable people operate on the premise of social exchange (you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours) with their superiors and thereby rise to their highest level of incompetence!

In a certain public service the general rule was that you got promoted to at least 1 rank above your competence and if you really suck then maybe 2 ranks lol! Naturally every rule has its exception (he he )

Not another bloody winger. One that played in the same Villa team as Graham too.

It could happen, if Benfica have a break clause then they could recall him and sell him, Chelsea have just done it with Bamford.

The likelihood is we paid for him and they can't cancel the deal halfway through, won't stop the idle speculation though. Enjoy him while he's here, he won't be next year.

Would be gutted but not surprised. He's such a good player, easily premier league quality.

€15m is well worth it for us. Just depends if a Prem club feels the same. West Ham and Everton have reported interest.

I guess it could be one of Mendes' shady deals. We buy him now because we have him guaranteed for the season and then sell him in the Summer to whichever club is already lined up.

I just hope that if there is a chance to sign him permanently now we are doing everything we can to seal the deal. In terms of exciting players at Wolves he is creeping up the list pretty fast, cracking player to watch and he is improving as the season goes on.

I guess it could be one of Mendes' shady deals. We buy him now because we have him guaranteed for the season and then sell him in the Summer to whichever club is already lined up.

Quite possibly. However if Benfica intend to sell in the summer anyway it's not a bad idea for us to buy then sell on. At least we might make some money out of it. Wonder if Helda likes Chinese food?

Back