• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Martin O'Connor has publicly said the bid was no more than a publicity stunt.

Just back in the office and fair wet my pants to see we'd jumped to page 27. Oh well. But come on, Lambo isn't going to say his current players are dogshite is he? And clearly we're managing expectations. We might even be showing vague signs of competence...

Surely playing things down in the media isn't really going to alter a selling clubs expectations?

Say Wolves were in for Sako I don't think Palace are going to be scouring the E&S site for quotes of Lambert/Thelwell saying there's money to burn so they know they can twist the knife during negotiations. They'll have a figure in mind that they value Sako at, they'll be aware Wolves are owned by a wealthy company but then there's obviously FFP to offset that at times, I doubt they give any fuck what so ever has been said to the press.

It's not you or I going into a car dealership or something as an anonymous customer, with no knowledge of the salesman's expectations, him with no knowledge of our spending power, the world of professional is relatively small so people are going to know where other parties stand to a large degree.

I can kind of see what he means at CH as well. As bad as they've been in 2016 Iorfa & Hause are ridiculously highly rated and we'd be fools to get rid of them, Batth is our captain and as much as I'd like for us to sell/drop him it isn't going to happen, rightly or wrongly he seems to quite rate Stearman, Williamson is coming back from injury, EEL is doing well on loan and we've been hearing for a while that Johnson is on the verge of the first team. That is too many. It's hardly a Saunders-esque leap of logic like someone suggested earlier, even if I disagree with him regarding the abilities of Batth, Stearman & EEL.

DW is right when he says left back is a much greater priority. Doherty is a luxury player in a back four that can't afford to carry him any longer. Get a solid, average Championship LB in who puts defending first and the team will look much better for it. We wont miss Doherty's attacking play one jot.

RB is just as big of a priority IMO. I remain entirely unconvinced by Coady at full back, I'm not sure he ever knows exactly what he's doing there. Too slow both physically and mentally to play there long term, it wont be long before a team realises that he can't stand up to a winger 1v1, doesn't have the pace to keep up with a runner in behind, flies into rash tackles and panics with the ball at his feet.

I can kind of see what he means at CH as well. As bad as they've been in 2016 Iorfa & Hause are ridiculously highly rated and we'd be fools to get rid of them, Batth is our captain and as much as I'd like for us to sell/drop him it isn't going to happen, rightly or wrongly he seems to quite rate Stearman, Williamson is coming back from injury, EEL is doing well on loan and we've been hearing for a while that Johnson is on the verge of the first team. That is too many. It's hardly a Saunders-esque leap of logic like someone suggested earlier, even if I disagree with him regarding the abilities of Batth, Stearman & EEL.

DW is right when he says left back is a much greater priority. Doherty is a luxury player in a back four that can't afford to carry him any longer. Get a solid, average Championship LB in who puts defending first and the team will look much better for it. We wont miss Doherty's attacking play one jot.

RB is just as big of a priority IMO. I remain entirely unconvinced by Coady at full back, I'm not sure he ever knows exactly what he's doing there. Too slow both physically and mentally to play there long term, it wont be long before a team realises that he can't stand up to a winger 1v1, doesn't have the pace to keep up with a runner in behind, flies into rash tackles and panics with the ball at his feet.

Lot of sense, here.

With a defensive unit, it can sometimes only take one change out of the back four to make a difference. For us, that would be at left back. All this chatter such as "the entire back 4 need replacing" is, quite frankly, a bit daft.

Iorfa-Batth-Williamson-A new LB *should* be more than comfortable at this level. Hause & Stearman as cover in the middle is more than strong enough - both of those players would walk in to the starting 11's of a lot of Championship teams.

For me, sort left back out (don't be fooled by Doc's plus points going forward) and I think we'll look a lot stronger as a unit.

Have no problem with the main focus being offloading excess squad fillers, but the defence still lacks any real coordination regardless of the numbers we have (though clearly not at left back as we have no fit proper LB available for the senior squad).

Williamson could do the coordination if (& it's a big if) he can come back at the same level - in any event at his age & recent injuries would not want to have to rely solely on that.

Don't mind paying bigger money, but only for a player who will readily improve the starting 11 immediately.

James Collins is awful, if they wanted to send Reece Burke our way then maybe.

I think that between Iorfa Hause Stearman Wiiliamson Doherty Williamson and Coady we are fine.

I whole heartedly agree with the proviso that we sign Lloris Messi Ronaldo and Aguero.Failing that there is no way in gods green earth that the defence is in any way competent. Fuck me we need to score 2 goals a game for as point most weeks!

Whilst Iorfa has pulled no trees up this season there is some quality there

Unless we were going to use some of the incoming £s to get a serious upper Championship level RB to take over then I see no real benefit (unless the offer is a stupid one, which given that
its West Ham it could be)Cannot see that he will be worth that much less next summer if money is needed to be brought in, though see no reason why it should be given what FOSUN have said re funding

He'd be daft to go there regardless. They've got no interest in defending and the frailties that have been exposed this season would be even more pronounced at that level.

He needs somebody who'll drill him defensively and given that West Ham routinely go on spells of being appalling at the back, that's probably not Bilic at the moment.

This is still floating around (& will probably do so till the window shuts)

At the right price (for us rather than them) would we take it?

I may be in the minority but Iorfa 2016 is not very good. His form since the summer has been pretty awful. Just like Afobe his head has been turned and its affected him. I would be happy to see him go as he is not fulfilling his potential here. Reserve team football is hardly going to increase his value. Take the 5 million and use it to plug our weak areas of which there are several.

If he does go it will start to prove my 3 5 2 theory slotting Williamson in the back.

I'm struggling to think of the other 2 that we have that could make that work

I am not saying it would work but I fear it may be in Lambert's mind.
Ikeme

Batth stearman Williamson
Coady Costa price Edwards Doherty
Bod Cav
Even worse a 5 4 1 away! Same people. They seem to be favourites.

Back