• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

I'm not so sure we do. As a team we are having no issues scoring goals, and unless we can find someone top drawer (which I doubt we will at a price we feel comfortable with) I'd rather give Dicko the chance to find form and Ennis get an opportunity when he is fit.

I think we are one short. Neither Dicko or Jon Dadi are scoring at the moment. I suppose, as the season is more or less over (bar the possibility of a cup run), we can afford to keep playing them until they rediscover some goalscoring form (even though a large section of our fanbase will be critical with our persistence to play non-scoring forwards) - but if someone who suits our style comes along, I'd look to bring them on board.

I have to say that it depends who is doing the choosing. If Lambert is choosing, fine he will be judged on that and after a shaky start his selections have proved pretty good in the positions selected. So if he buys someone to go up front it is because he knows what that player will bring to his selected team. Its Thelwell that worries me.

The problem up front is that Bod is hardly a prolific goalscorer, and sadly Dicko is not the same player following his serious injury. So I think we need a striker, and hopefully one will be brought in during January.

I think we are one short. Neither Dicko or Jon Dadi are scoring at the moment. I suppose, as the season is more or less over (bar the possibility of a cup run), we can afford to keep playing them until they rediscover some goalscoring form (even though a large section of our fanbase will be critical with our persistence to play non-scoring forwards) - but if someone who suits our style comes along, I'd look to bring them on board.

Fair enough. My view is that you don't aways have to have a forward who gets you 25 goals a season to be successful. Obviously it helps, and the top teams will have those players but plenty of teams have got promoted from this division (and then stated up) because of a 'team' effort rather than individuals. That is why I always felt we struggled in the Premier League. As much as I loved him, SEB didn't step up. Kightly who had been so productive didn't either. Nor Iwelumo who scored a good amount.

I'm more concerned about the system, and how effective it is. If we are creating chances I don't care who scores them. As I said, if the opportunity is there to sign someone of a really good standard I would happily strengthen (as with any position) but I'd rather we got a top quality centre midfielder, or full back, and not get in the way of someone like Ennis' development.

We could do worse than Rodallega, but I think we could and will do better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We still need a good CB.

If Williamson breaks at any point in the near future, we will be up shit creek without a paddle again.

We still need a good CB.

If Williamson breaks at any point in the near future, we will be up shit creek without a paddle again.

Wouldn't count on that after Lambert's comments about having "six centre backs" on the books last week.

Besides, Williamson/Hause/Stearman/Batth and 16 year old Gibbs-White, plus the option to play Iorfa there if we're really desperate is more than enough.

I suspect we'll see recruitment in the defence during the summer, rather than now.

Wouldn't count on that after Lambert's comments about having "six centre backs" on the books last week.

Besides, Williamson/Hause/Stearman/Batth and 16 year old Gibbs-White, plus the option to play Iorfa there if we're really desperate is more than enough.

I suspect we'll see recruitment in the defence during the summer, rather than now.

Eh?

MGW is a CM or winger (who has also filled in as a striker for the u23s) mate. Wouldn't want him at centre half if it can be helped..

Fair enough. My view is that you don't aways have to have a forward who gets you 25 goals a season to be successful. Obviously it helps, and the top teams will have those players but plenty of teams have got promoted from this division (and then stated up) because of a 'team' effort rather than individuals. That is why I always felt we struggled in the Premier League. As much as I loved him, SEB didn't step up. Kightly who had been so productive didn't either. Nor Iwelumo who scored a good amount.

I'm more concerned about the system, and how effective it is. If we are creating chances I don't care who scores them. As I said, if the opportunity is there to sign someone of a really good standard I would happily strengthen (as with any position) but I'd rather we got a top quality centre midfielder, or full back, and not get in the way of someone like Ennis' development.

On your first point I would highlight that we need to have a 20 goal a season striker if we defend the way we have pre Williamson.

Your second paragraph is quite right though .

MGW is a CM or winger (who has also filled in as a striker for the u23s) mate. Wouldn't want him at centre half if it can be helped..

Maybe play him there for the first 10 minutes of games to confuse the opposition, as pioneered by Deano.

:facepalm:

Absolute brain fart. For some reason I had it in my head he was a centre half :icon_lol:

Still, the point remains, Williamson/Hause/Batth + Stearman - with Iorfa as back up - is fine for the remainder of this season.

Stears will (presumably) be sent back to Fulham at that point, and I imagine we'll look to bring a better quality centre back over the summer.

Some other ideas based on looking at PL squads.

CB - Rob Holding (Ars), Tiago Ilori (Liv), Bernardo Espinosa (Mid), Adrian Mariappa (Wat)

LB - Zeki Fryers (Palace), Tyias Browning (Eve), Stephen Kingsley (Swa)

CM - Shaun Maloney (Hul), Grant Leadbitter (Mid), Matty James (Lei), Harrison Reed (Sou)

FOR - Frazier Campbell (Palace), Yaya Sanogo (Ars)
One down from the CB pile:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38555573

:facepalm:

Absolute brain fart. For some reason I had it in my head he was a centre half :icon_lol:

Still, the point remains, Williamson/Hause/Batth + Stearman - with Iorfa as back up - is fine for the remainder of this season.

Stears will (presumably) be sent back to Fulham at that point, and I imagine we'll look to bring a better quality centre back over the summer.

Sorry, Jinky, I totally disagree with your point. As I said, if Williamson breaks, we would be in real trouble IMO.

Whatever Lambert says, having 6 or 16 CBs is not the point, it's whether they are 'fit for purpose' that's important. We have seen that Batth, Stearman, Hause and Iorfa really struggle when the pair of CBs is picked from amongst them.

They need the guidance of Williamson to be effective and if he's not there for whatever reason, we need someone else who can mentor the others like he does.

Maybe the player we need isn't available this month, and if so then we'll have to keep our fingers crossed Williamson doesn't break.

It's absolutely shocking that a club that professes to want to get to the top has let this situation evolve for so long and goes from transfer window to window without being able/willing to do anything about it.

So come on Wolves. pull your finger out and get a good CB sorted.

I presume Lambert will wait until the Summer and take whichever one of Clark or Hanley that Newcastle will let us have. Worked with them and rates both of them.

Williamson doesn't need to play all the games that we have left - we are not going up this year so 2 out of 3 games with a bit of a break every so often to allow him to recover will be fine.

We will get enough points to not be in trouble - then a proper upgrade in the Summer when the prices get back to sensible levels

I presume Lambert will wait until the Summer and take whichever one of Clark or Hanley that Newcastle will let us have. Worked with them and rates both of them.

I don't mind which one he picks, so long as it isn't Hanley.

Back