• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

There's a strange dichotomy where people seemingly accept that we aren't going to sign that many players but then get really worked up whenever we publicly say we aren't going to sign that many players.

I suppose you would have to say it would end up being a massive call for Lambert to say, ditch Batth - club captain, new four year deal and all that. It isn't that likely he's going to make that kind of move in the middle of the season and having not been here for two months. Easier for him to do that kind of thing in the summer (I'd rather Danny just find some kind of form, but I'm not sure it's going to happen, not with Stears next to him anyway).

I think Lambert is spot on in everything he said in the E&S.
We have the nucleus of a good team, especially with Ronan and Bright coming through. In defence, Williamson will be our new signing, touch wood.
Anyway, why spend now, the season is over anyway. Cull the dead wood, get to top 10, and buy a few players in the summer for a promotion push next year.
In Lambert we trust.

I think Lambert is spot on in everything he said in the E&S.
We have the nucleus of a good team, especially with Ronan and Bright coming through. In defence, Williamson will be our new signing, touch wood.
Anyway, why spend now, the season is over anyway. Cull the dead wood, get to top 10, and buy a few players in the summer for a promotion push next year.
In Lambert we trust.

You honestly believe that a back four of Coady - Batth - Stearman - Doherty is going to propel us to the top 10 this season??

Oh and in Thelwell I don't trust

You honestly believe that a back four of Coady - Batth - Stearman - Doherty is going to propel us to the top 10 this season??

Oh and in Thelwell I don't trust
He did mention Williamson TBF Mike.

The only thing I can think is that Lambert is considering some variation of 3 5 2 or similar. That would give him the required number of centre halves allow for a new right wing back with Mr Gloves on the left, Dangerous Dave Costa and Price in Midfield with Cav and Bod or Dicko up top.

If not his comments make no sense and fly in the face of reality and previous fact.

I would have hoped that if there was a CH available who would be of PL quality, we should be buying him NOW to strengthen the back 4 and be a regular for promotion next year. Then build the defence around him during the summer.

If we start playing 3-5-2 then I might have to go nuclear. You'd be neutering our best players.

A bloke who hasn't played first team football for over a year... #Likeanewsigning

In 2015/16 he played a total of 7 games and in 2016/17 he has played once, for our U23's, who got thrashed...

In 2015/16 he played a total of 7 games and in 2016/17 he has played once, for our U23's, who got thrashed...
Hence why I said I had doubts about him and why we need to bring someone else in.

Don't worry, we'll be fine. Lambert can read Thelwell's book.

Stop bringing up stuff I'm trying to forget about :D

Mind you, 4-1-2-3 (with these players) has entered the same sphere as 3-5-2 for me, that was verging on the same degree of stupidity. Months of that, for Christ's sake. You wonder what managers are watching sometimes.

I am starting to get a similar feeling for this transfer window as I get around Xmas. A morbid sense of deja vu, underwhelmed outcomes, a knowledge of what is going to come based on previous evidence and experience. At least you can take shit back after Xmas. We don't keep receipt's hell we aren't spending this time. We have gone all blue peter and will make our own. I had enough of this shit and spin from moxey every window, I don't need or want more of it from Lambert or Jeff. The continued faith in half a dozen people players and staff at wolves flies in the face of fact and performance.In 2016 we are the 4th worst performing championship team, so I think its fair to say the performances overall do not match the stated ambition.

I am starting to get a similar feeling for this transfer window as I get around Xmas. A morbid sense of deja vu, underwhelmed outcomes, a knowledge of what is going to come based on previous evidence and experience. At least you can take shit back after Xmas. We don't keep receipt's hell we aren't spending this time. We have gone all blue peter and will make our own. I had enough of this shit and spin from moxey every window, I don't need or want more of it from Lambert or Jeff. The continued faith in half a dozen people players and staff at wolves flies in the face of fact and performance.In 2016 we are the 4th worst performing championship team, so I think its fair to say the performances overall do not match the stated ambition.
So maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up to such a ridiculous extent and take any shred of negative news or quote as gospel?

Hence why I said I had doubts about him and why we need to bring someone else in.

Not disagreeing with you on that Ian but I was raising doubts towards JamWolfs assertion that our defence was brill and will be sufficient to see us easily reach the top 10 this season...It's not and I have doubts that Mike Williamson will be the catalyst to see this through to fruition

Williamson will break in his first game back. You heard it here first from Mystic Quirk..

So maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up to such a ridiculous extent and take any shred of negative news or quote as gospel?

Yeah you have been watching our previous windows right? If the club ignore the blindingly obvious in that our defence is incompetent with regard to its principle function, namely defending and the fact that the last time either of our centre towards scored it was British Summer time and do not at the very least, ensure we can avoid a real struggle from now til may by strengthening in both those areas then we , the club, deserves what it gets. This defence was not good when we finished 7th and we did that thanks to 2 current premiership forwards in Sako and Afobe and and pre injury Dicko. The complaints about the defence were just as loud then. Batth was immobile, Stearman always had an error in him and Ikeme does not command. On top of that we have swapped Gouldborne for Mr Gloves. Forgive my pessimism.

Back