• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Six not including Dom according to Lambert.

He also states that it isn't a problem position even without Williamson...So Batth, Stearman, Hause and Deslandes plus Dom if needed. WOW!!

Can we reduce the quantity, and increase the quality, Paul?

This doesn't bode well for Lambert if he thinks numbers of players equate to quality and giving press releases like that are just Saunders-esque.

Not buying a central defender and not shipping out those that aren't good enough is piss poor management for any football club and shows how Thelwell and Lambert can't be trusted to make or assess recruitment policy.

Add a nailed on starter in Doherty at LB and Coady at RB and our defence has gone nowhere in the last 3 seasons apart from backwards. No improvements and no quality
(I'm leaving the broken Silvio and also Williamson out of that as who knows whether he will come back the same as his loan spell)

This doesn't bode well for Lambert if he thinks numbers of players equate to quality and giving press releases like that are just Saunders-esque.

Totally agree with this.

He seems more focused on the quantity, rather than the actual quality - which is very worrying.

His comment about Bamford's wages being "too much" is also baffling, and flies in the face of Jeff's "money is no issue" comment at the start of the season. I don't even like Bamford, but I'm not a fan of the contradictory BS coming from the management/owners either.

I hope this is a smokescreen as not one of the 6 CHs are up to the job. We should be looking to build for next season and until we get in a leader at CH we won't know how good the rest of the back 4 are. Get someone half competent in and Iorfa might start to look a player again and Doherty might actually be in the right place to defend occasionally. It won't solve everything but it would be a step forwards. Persisting with the CHs we have would be the option taken by an ostrich!

He has said that he sees Connor Johnson as a first team contender, so I guess he's one of the 6. Other than that I have nothing more to add other than what a bag of bolllocks

Hang on lets think logically here, Lambert said when he took the job he was promised investment (a significant one by the sounds of it) only to say the opposite in the first window, even Saunders would see our defence needs an overhaul. Kaspers Gorks would already be on his way and all would be well...

I do think Williamson (if he is still where he was prior to his injury) will be a massive player for us, I see he is addressing RB but what about LB??? I watched the extended highlights for the first time of the QPR game (was too depressed having been there) and watching Doc jog back for the 1st goal made me rage, we cannot continue with someone at fullback who sees himself as a winger/forward.

I will wait till the end of January then if this turns out to be true I will go back and delete my complimentary comments in the Lambert thread!

As this season is a bit of a write off I have the feeling we may not do much and wait until the summer. Lambert hasn't even had 10 games yet so I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to make any major changes this window. We have 11 players whose contract or loan expires at the end of the season although I suspect that will be 10 as Lambert will surely want Price to sign a new contract. We can see who is ready to step up from the youth team, add them to the senior players who are left and then fill in all the gaps with quality.

Lambert also said we need help in central defence only a few weeks ago.

I'm sure he knows it's a weak area so I wouldn't get too worked up about it no matter how adamant he seems in the E&S.

I also agree with Ted's post.

Lambert said: "This club’s got six centre half if you include Ethan. Why in God’s name would I want to bring another one in? You’d have seven centre halves for two positions."

Erm, because they are shit at defending maybe? Surely, even he can see that!

Lambert said: "This club’s got six centre half if you include Ethan. Why in God’s name would I want to bring another one in? You’d have seven centre halves for two positions."

Erm, because they are $#@! at defending maybe? Surely, even he can see that!

Having re-read the article I feel it may be a case of Lambert not wanting to openly criticise the defenders he has in case he doesn't sign the one(s) he wants in this window. Hardly good for morale if he states openly that the central defenders he's got are bloody useless and he wants shot! (I bloody hope, anyway)

Having re-read the article I feel it may be a case of Lambert not wanting to openly criticise the defenders he has in case he doesn't sign the one(s) he wants in this window. Hardly good for morale if he states openly that the central defenders he's got are bloody useless and he wants shot! (I bloody hope, anyway)

Yoom fooking happyclappers will believe owt....

Yeah I thought this.

He definitely said they need some help. And if that means he doesn't want to bring anyone in maybe he's thinking of Williamson or one of the academy lads?

The whole back 4 should be replaced and I'm sure that Lambert realises they're a weak link.

It seems to me like Thelwell lost his grip in the summer, allowing JEFF SHI/FOSUN to have their way.

Once the Zenga experiment failed it was "ha, I told you so" and now they have decanted power back to KT who has bought in PL and now we are back to the same old shite and the "our squad is too big mantra"

Although I'm on the fence re Lambert at the worst he is an average Championship manager. You can't be average at this level and watch those goals we conceded at home at Christmas and not see you have issues in your defence.

It seems to me like Thelwell lost his grip in the summer, allowing JEFF SHI/FOSUN to have their way.

Once the Zenga experiment failed it was "ha, I told you so" and now they have decanted power back to KT who has bought in PL and now we are back to the same old shite and the "our squad is too big mantra"
I don't even think it's that. I think Lambert just wants to assess the squad and with players returning from injury and loan he wants to see what they can do before discarding them.

My thoughts on this are that I've said all along that we need 2 new centre halves as none of the ones here have proven themselves anywhere near good enough this season. I didn't expect to see Williamson play again and even if he does, he's been out longer than Lord Lucan so I can't say I expect him to be a permanent fixture for the rest of the season. So even going by the best case yet unlikely scenario which is Williamson back playing regularly, I still really hope we bring in at least 1 because it's costing us valuable points - I don't believe Lambert doesn't see this.

I want a centre half but I want a left back more. That's a disgraceful situation for a second tier club to find itself in.

All the noises coming out at the moment seem to be making it clear that we aren't doing much if any business in this window. I guess they want to save money and wait for the summer. They're gonna look bloody stupid if our defence sends us down

All the noises coming out at the moment seem to be making it clear that we aren't doing much if any business in this window. I guess they want to save money and wait for the summer. They're gonna look bloody stupid if our defence sends us down
Lambert has said several times that he wants to bring players in. Maybe not many but business will be done.

And most of the 'noise' is baseless nonsense on twitter anyway.

Back