• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

Wow, another transfer window another Bamford to Wolves rumour!
In fairness he'd be a good signing for us but I doubt his ego would consider a bottom half Championship side.

So we need to convince him it is onwards and upwards from where we are.

We were supposed to be after him under Solbakken, before we signed Sako.

He hasn't done much there and you wonder why we want another left winger (I could understand *why* we'd look at Sako given the natural lift that would give everyone because of his status, but not some relative randomer). Buy a striker FFS!

He played mostly more centrally at Angers, not sure why Derby wanted him as more of touchline hugger. As a striker he's in the mold of Dicko, albeit with more height and probably less strength.

Looking at the current rumours for all clubs and the tabled bids West ham seem determined to inflate this window beyond recognition with Defoe bids initial 6 million and considering up to 15! Also 10 million bid for Hogan. Even if we are rich we are not stupid and should not pay those prices. Just managing my own expectations

I have wanted us to sign him for years. He'd be a great signing.

Looking at the current rumours for all clubs and the tabled bids West ham seem determined to inflate this window beyond recognition with Defoe bids initial 6 million and considering up to 15! Also 10 million bid for Hogan. Even if we are rich we are not stupid and should not pay those prices. Just managing my own expectations

West Ham won't get Defoe for less than £20m. That is his value minimum to Sunderland, who would be basically relegating themselves by accepting.

Pat Murphy ‏@patmurphybbc 1h1 hour ago
Those @OfficialWolves expecting another busy window may be disappointed. Lambert needs to ship out around 6 players to get his squad 1/2

2/2 down to about 22/23. He inherited the August trolley dash. Still wants a couple in but more exercised by the summer trading.

Lambert very excited by the youngsters coming thro' - Ronan,Herc & Johnson (all 18) & Gibbs-White (soon 17). Wants to give them experience.

Unless he has a close relationship with Lambert from his Villa days which is possible, then Murphy is historically inaccurate in anything he reports on Wolves. He dislikes us which he fails to hide with his trolley dash comment.

I can believe we will only sign a couple of players and also that we will move half a dozen, just not that the latter has to happen first. I'm all for the youngsters getting a chance if he thinks they could be good enough and the season is dead. It was probably Jackett's biggest failing last season.

Got to say I don't really understand the "we need to get rid of players before we sign new ones" argument. Bin off CBJ, John and Tex (sadly) who aren't ours in the first place and won't be used from here on, ignore Silvio who's long term injured and probably won't play for us again, you're left with:

Ikeme, Burgoyne, Lonergan

Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Doherty, Hause, Williamson, Deslandes

Price, Edwards, Saiss, Oniangue, Coady, Saville, Evans

Costa, Cavaleiro, Wallace, Ronan, Graham, Zyro, Henry

Dicko, Bodvarsson, Mason, Enobakhare, Gladon

That's 29. You might as well ignore Zyro off that list as he won't play this season, Henry who I think is down to return but will just be sent back out again, Deslandes who isn't really in contention for the first team and Gladon who obviously isn't in the picture - it makes no difference if he's hanging around and dicking about on Instagram to be honest. So 25 plus kids who haven't played for us yet. That doesn't seem massively unwieldy to me when it includes three keepers. Unbalanced you might say but it isn't like Barry Fry's squad at Blues back in the day.

It does make sense as a strategy, assuming we accept there is no chance of promotion this season. Get a centre half and a centre forward, and we pretty much guarantee staying up, then look at which youngsters can step up and save us a transfer fee, hopefully allowing us to keep funds in reserve to invest in quality to fill any remaining gaps. We will also have Zyro and Graham back, so Lambert should then be able to see the whole picture in time for next season.

It's just a shit football PR way of saying "don't expect a load coming in as we have way too many players at the moment"

Which we don't need to express that really. No way of pleasing the fans who will always want 1 more player than we signed, they will be going nuts regardless. We know what we have to sign, it's not as of a massive rebuild is needed

If you send back the 3 you say, pay off Silvio and loan out Gladon to Holland and Wallace to League One, you are at the six quite easily

Wouldn't be surprised to see Saville out the door in some way either. Out of contract in the summer, can't imagine he'll get a new one, and him and Teixeira gone would probably solve our midfield overstock problem.

It could also be Evans, of course, but he seems to have much more potential than Saville, who really is a nothing player.

Pat Murphy is a fucking idiot. Was still saying nothing was agreed with Lambert a few hours before he was announced.

Someone was kicking off on the Wolves-News Facebook page about this last night. He was fuming that a young, exciting, local prospect had been snapped up by Arsenal and their scouts rather then by us.

I saw that. Probably the same kind of 'fan' who lambasts the club when we only sign youngsters for the development squad.

Wrote this on the other transfer thread a few days ago:

Seen him a few times this season. Most recently at Matlock about 4 weeks ago. Plays left back, very pacey can also play lwb and to a lesser degree left wing. In the right team I'd say lwb is where he is strongest. Been on trial at Sheff Wed, Palace and Shrewsbury already this month, whilst Hednesford have been claiming he has a knock, not just Wolves who bullshit! Solihull want him as their new manager came from Hednesford, but he's definitely good enough to be a pro, so hope he doesn't go there. At the moment I'd say Div 2 is about where he is at, but difficult to really tell as this is first season even at EvoStik League level. He and Herc were the best 2 players on the pitch in the U23 pre season game.

Back