• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

If we are keeping Saiss and Prince, we dont need another central midfielder. If we do get one in, fine, but I guess one of Saiss or Prince will be leaving. Price seems the favoured son, and Lambert is raving about Ronan, and Edwards.

We need quality, not quantity, in my view. No point having 22 players if the first 11 and second 11 are much the same.

Defence is the priority but if Sako is available (which he is) and wants to come, he would improve our squad no question. If Cav or Costa got injured at the moment the options are limited, I would like to see Ronan centrally so I dont see him as a permanent fixture out wide.

If Sako signs I will be delighted.

I think Saiss at CB would be worth a try. He's got the physique and the football 'intelligence' to be very good in that position

Spiers on the wind up saying £4m is out of our budget and that Sako could go to Blues.

Defence is the priority but if Sako is available (which he is) and wants to come, he would improve our squad no question. If Cav or Costa got injured at the moment the options are limited, I would like to see Ronan centrally so I dont see him as a permanent fixture out wide.

If Sako signs I will be delighted.
So he could swap sitting on Palace's bench for ours, unless Cav/Costa get injured?

I highly doubt he's beyond our price range but similarly there's no point in spending big on someone who won't be starting. Or if he does, it means Cav or Costa would be dropped to make way.

Cav could work as a number ten until Costa fucks off

Front four of
----------- Dicko/Bod -----------

Sako ---------- Cav ---------- Costa

Er, yes please. We know what Sako can bring to the table and also know he scores goals, something we are lacking. He could also be the spark that fires Nouha again

While that deal and the one for the 16yr old are progressing we can also be looking at sorting the defence, it isn't an either/or situation guys

Honestly? It'd be cheaper than making Costa's deal permanent, and Cavaleiro can play on the right and in the hole, so it wouldn't necessarily be either/or, and it wouldn't be pushing Graham to third-choice unnecessarily on the left. Zyro's not back until this time in 2018 either, so we either get another right-winger in or free up a player who can also play there - Cavaleiro - by getting in someone else to play on the left.

Even a month ago I'd have said don't bother, but now I think it could be a pretty shrewd deal.

Spiers on the wind up saying £4m is out of our budget and that Sako could go to Blues.

‏@tim_spiers_Star · 3m3 minutes ago

@CSpillard not lack of money, just common sense. They spent £7m+big wages on a LW in summer. Have Graham and Zyro. Loan yes, permanent no.

So he could swap sitting on Palace's bench for ours, unless Cav/Costa get injured?

I highly doubt he's beyond our price range but similarly there's no point in spending big on someone who won't be starting. Or if he does, it means Cav or Costa would be dropped to make way.
As much as I rate Cav at this point in time I would start Sako over him. It would be a very nice problem to have.

As much as I rate Cav at this point in time I would start Sako over him. It would be a very nice problem to have.
True - but how much game time has Sako actually had?

I'm by no means saying he'd be a bad signing or that I don't want him here btw - just that I don't think we're in for him and I would totally understand that.

True - but how much game time has Sako actually had?

I'm by no means saying he'd be a bad signing or that I don't want him here btw - just that I don't think we're in for him and I would totally understand that.
I am assuming we would get the same Sako we had before he left, I have no idea how well he is playing or his fitness levels so I suppose its quite a lazy statement on my behalf. I just remember how good he was for us and how bad we were when he left.

I don't get the impression we are in for him either, which is a shame in my view.

The club has admitted that Costa isn't staying beyond this year - we'll need to replace our best player. Sako is ideal, as Cav can move to the right.
Wait. When did that happen?

Signing one player does not prohibit a club signing another player.

Clubs don't sign players on a timetable of most important position to least important position. Different deals will be agreed at different times. It would be pretty ludicrous for the club to turn down a particular player because supporters think a different position is a higher priority.

You'd be very surprised at how people just don't think straight when it comes to strategic decisions in football clubs. I've known manager's to sign players in positions of strength and sell players where they only had one in that position. I've also known a manager to sign a 'keeper for £1m (who clearly wasn't good enough in the first place) to the neglect of the striker and central midfielder he could've got if he had prioritised his signings properly. The last example got the boot after 4 months.

Anyone who turns their nose up at Sako needs their bumps feeling. He would improve our starting 11 and squad immeasurably. It's not even a debate.

Cav could work as a number ten until Costa $#@!s off

I wouldn't be averse to having:

Sako---Cav---Costa

However, where does Ronan, Graham and Bright fit into that? We should prioritise a striker and centre back before any other really and Sako, as much as he is a very good player, will not be worth it in the long run.

This season is toast, I'd much rather we brought through Ronan and a fit Jordan Graham for next season to play with Cav or Bright.

I've known manager's to sign players in positions of strength and sell players where they only had one in that position.

Like say, Ken selling our only left back 12 months ago and we still haven't replaced him.

I have a suspicion BFS will want all hands on deck for the remainder of the season and Sako won't go anywhere in this window. Palace don't need £4m right now. They can sell him in the summer if they really want - or if they do get relegated, keep him and they have a ready made Championship star.

Back