• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2017 Transfer Thread

we need to make a few changes each window and integrate into the team, we don't know if Williamson will break down again so if we don't sign a defender we will be in trouble. If we want to get promoted next season we will need to be in much better shape at the end of this campaign to make the final tweaks we need to get us up there not an overhaul. The other point to consider is that if we have a good run towards the end of this season players like Costa might be encouraged enough to want to stay, this is important and it will also help attract the players we will need to get us up.

We do have some good players coming back but we can rely on just that to get us where we need to be.

We badly need at least one central defender. We can't rely on this back 4 - the manner in which we're conceding is unforgiveable at any level of the game.

We also need a striker because again, the chances that are being missed and the miserly total amassed by our strikers is ridiculous.

A big clear out is needed of course - and January isn't the best time to do it but we still have to urgently bolster both ends of the field as both defence and attack have consistently shown that they're not up to the required standard.

If a player is available who will improve the first 11 then we should sign them, ideally with a view to next season. This shouldn't be difficult at centre half, centre forward and left back. No squad fillers though.

If a player is available who will improve the first 11 then we should sign them, ideally with a view to next season. This shouldn't be difficult at centre half, centre forward and left back. No squad fillers though.

I'd add a central midfield ball player if Saiss and Prince can't get a game as we have to replace Edwards at some point. I think this may well be the summer job for Lambert but all of those positions you highlight are a must for me.

I will be controversial and say that we shouldnt sign anyone. For example in attack Dicko, Bod, Mason are enough. Ennis to come. In midfield we are well covered. Jordan Graham to come. In defence, we have Iorfa, Hause and Williamson to cover yesterdays back 4. Ikeme and Burgoyne in goal. Bright and Ronan are two new players.

With the best will in the world, this sason is a write off. So I say cull the squad now of dead wood, and add in the summer as needed.

If we culled the squad of all of the deadwood we wouldn't be able to field a 5-a-side team.

We need a CH and striker to move us up the league. Not only will we be starting to build for next season but a good end to the season will make us more attractive to prospective signings in the summer.

...And it's a gradual process: players are not necessarily available exactly when you want them to be available. How many windows did it take MM to build his championship winning side?

If we let him go to another Championship club, I'll be fuming

He's off to the ACON first.

We don't need Sako though.

I love the guy but it's not a position we need to strengthen with Cav looking sharp and Graham not too far away from returning. (Lambert sticking Saville there was hopefully a mistake he's learned from and won't repeat again).

We've got to prioritise the defence and bring in a striker.

The club has admitted that Costa isn't staying beyond this year - we'll need to replace our best player. Sako is ideal, as Cav can move to the right.

We can afford it as much, or more, than blues and derby.

Unfortunately we can't pick and choose the order in which players become available. A player with minimal risk of not settling, whose qualities we know will improve our eleven (even if Costa stays) is available for a modest fee. It's a no brainer.

Yes we need a centre half more, but only bringing players in, in the order in which you need them is braindead, providing you can afford it. Which we can.

Signing one player does not prohibit a club signing another player.

Clubs don't sign players on a timetable of most important position to least important position. Different deals will be agreed at different times. It would be pretty ludicrous for the club to turn down a particular player because supporters think a different position is a higher priority.

Just had a look on that other site which is going into meltdown at the prospect of signing a 16 year old as if that is proof that we aren't going to sign someone for the 1st team.

And it's only the first day of the transfer window....gonna be a long month.

We can afford it as much, or more, than blues and derby.

This is what I was thinking, spiers on twitter saying he's out of our budget but we paid £7m for Cav and have super rich owners. Not saying we should get Sako back but money isn't a reason not too. I would personally love him back here and would hate to see him elsewhere in this league

I'm with paddy though, I don't think we need him - we may lose Costa at the end of the season, but we will have zyro and Graham back, plus one thing mendes has shown he can do is get us good wingers on the cheap.

We desperately need one or 2 good CBs and strikers. It would be really shit to see Sako go to blues, not that I think he will though.

Back