• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

Been raining heavily most of the day in Hinckley. The road and pavements near the new shopping centre in town were badly flooded. In the past they have always coped well in wet weather. I presume there is a problem with the drainage in the new complex.

Raining again - reckon we have had 22hrs out of the last 24 with water falling from above, with no sign of it stopping

It's been horrendous anywhere south of Leeds it seems - very little respite here either.

That the crescent Frank?

Yes it is. And very nice as well. But I have never seen Station Road flooded like it was today. The ex-service men's club had water inside it, again unheard of. The rain that fell just did not drain away. Maybe the planners forgot about drainage.

Raining AGAIN

Might go and look at plans for an Ark tomorrow

I've got the cats & dogs though lions & elephants might be more of an issue in Dorset

Raining AGAIN

Might go and look at plans for an Ark tomorrow

I've got the cats & dogs though lions & elephants might be more of an issue in Dorset
I'm in Exeter and it has finally stopped raining. [emoji3] [emoji3]

Yes it is. And very nice as well. But I have never seen Station Road flooded like it was today. The ex-service men's club had water inside it, again unheard of. The rain that fell just did not drain away. Maybe the planners forgot about drainage.

Think there's a rainwater harvesting system included in the new scheme, perhaps the exceptional volume that's fallen in the last couple of days has overloaded the system somewhat.

Think there's a rainwater harvesting system included in the new scheme, perhaps the exceptional volume that's fallen in the last couple of days has overloaded the system somewhat.

Thank you, I did not know that. It is just that in the past during heavy downpours, the area around Station Road has not been flooded. I suppose us residents of Hinckley have just put two and two together and presumed that the flooding is due to the new shopping centre. Hopefully this problem will be addressed.

Thank you, I did not know that. It is just that in the past during heavy downpours, the area around Station Road has not been flooded. I suppose us residents of Hinckley have just put two and two together and presumed that the flooding is due to the new shopping centre. Hopefully this problem will be addressed.

The old layout probably had an outdated combined drainage system, all the rainwater from the streets/roofs/etc. would've soon been piled in with wastewater from within properties and made it's way to the local sewage processing facility, everytime you get a heavy downpour that facility get's overloaded with water that never needed to have gone there in the first place had it not been combined with wastewater. Modern drainage systems look to keep surfacewater and wastewater seperate where possible to avoid this issue, trying to utilise or replicate natural dissipation of surface water where possible, but unfortunately in situations like this where it replaces an older system that added consideration can restrict water flow to what was previously there and so you can get some problems with large downpours.

I am learning things today. Prior to the Crescent being built, there was a hosiery factory and other smaller businesses on the site. In fact many years ago my wife worked at the hosiery firm, Bennetts I believe it was. There was also a car showroom at the Station Road entrance to the Crescent. The Crescent is also on two levels with a car park being underneath the shops, and a new access road has been built from the car park onto Rugby Road. So there has been massive changes to that part of Hinckley. I presume that those responsible for the rainwater harvesting system will look into yesterday's flooding.

I am learning things today. Prior to the Crescent being built, there was a hosiery factory and other smaller businesses on the site. In fact many years ago my wife worked at the hosiery firm, Bennetts I believe it was. There was also a car showroom at the Station Road entrance to the Crescent. The Crescent is also on two levels with a car park being underneath the shops, and a new access road has been built from the car park onto Rugby Road. So there has been massive changes to that part of Hinckley. I presume that those responsible for the rainwater harvesting system will look into yesterday's flooding.

Might not be there problem anymore, may not have ever been their problem to begin with to be honest as things can only be designed to a certain standard. Think drainage systems usually use something like a 1 in 100 year event as a the max. load for their capacity, yesterday's conditions were certainly exceptional rather than the norm so there's potential that nature just outdid man on this occasion and you have to accept that things like this will happen from time to time.

Thanks again Mark. This has certainly opened my eyes. I do know that the Crescent is privately owned, though I do not know who owns it. The rain yesterday was indeed very heavy, but we have had rain like that before without flooding. At least now I have some idea about what was the possible cause of the flooding.

It might be a little windy...

Daily Express bigging it up as armageddon as usual.

Brace yourselves. This thread might get busy over the next 7 days....

Brace yourselves. This thread might get busy over the next 7 days....

A light dusting of snow on the way? (or as the Express will say "18 foot of snow to fall in just 3 hours")

My sister has been in Prague over the weekend and it snowed, the place looked awesome with a white blanket

Pfftttt

If is going to snow a little bit. Like in January.

We are not getting what Eastern Europe is getting. Our dusting will have NOTHING to do with a Siberian high.

Pfftttt

If is going to snow a little bit. Like in January.

We are not getting what Eastern Europe is getting. Our dusting will have NOTHING to do with a Siberian high.

I didn't say it'd be warranted!

Can't wait for those Facebook photos.

Just received an email alert from the Met Office - snow warning for the South West

That's just not allowed - don't they realise that this is the English Riviera!!

Sure that St Tropez doesn't allow snow :icon_smile:

Back