• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

I'm a later riser than most. I always feel we risk kidding ourselves a bit with the getting lighter narrative, because even though the days are starting to stretch out, it takes until the end of feb, not jan for that to be really impactful, owing to travel to/from work etc.

Err. From 22nd December the day gets longer by 4 minutes every day in the UK. Your travel arrangements don’t actually change the movement of the earth on its axis in the slightest

And if you start work at 6am like I did there it changed dramatically very quickly in January

Be into Feb before I see much change on the days I drive into work.

Depends when you start work I guess. I’m no expert but I think the days starting to get longer in the nothern hemisphere starts with dawn getting earlier so if you start at early hours you see it

I'm lucky in that I am still WFH apart from monthly meetings so I just notice how long I have to leave a light on these days

Lighter mornings and evenings, I start to notice a difference late Jan/early Feb.

Err. From 22nd December the day gets longer by 4 minutes every day in the UK. Your travel arrangements don’t actually change the movement of the earth on its axis in the slightest
Not quite, days after 22nd December the difference in day length is seconds. It starts to ramp up the further away from the 22nd we get, until the equinox. Then it starts to slow down until we get to the summer solstice, at which point we start the inexorable journey to gloominess

With it being about 2 hours each side here from longest to shortest I guess SADS won’t really matter. Just past longest day and it is light around 5am. Dark just after 7.

The thing that fries my small brain is the lack of twilight. It’s 20 minutes from pretty much light to black as midnight

It’s five minutes of extra daylight per week from the shortest day

I think we missed the worst of the storms a couple of weeks back but has really been giving it some today. Trains cancelled, fences down etc.

Was quite exhilarating walking the dog in the woods but probably a bit foolish too.

No way was I walking behind this one:

IMG_7727.png

I'd just heard on the news that the airport in Jersey was closed. I bet that hasn't happened very often for snow.

Be into Feb before I see much change on the days I drive into work.
Early December I had to carefully plan when to take the dog out as I kept getting caught out by darkness falling pretty soon after 4pm.
Now I've already noticeably already relaxed that a bit.

Are you scared of the dark?
(Snort) No, but unless I remember to charge my dog's neon led collar, she fucks off charging along the back of the beach or deep in the dunes and it's getting dark and she's all black. Mind you, I've learnt that if I can't see her, she can always see me, it's just pitch black out there...
Plus when I bent my knee in September (end of) it transpires I also got a tear in my Achilles Tendon and I've been limping painfully ever since, slowly getting better. But level ground is ok but stumbling around the dunes in the dark becomes a painful folly.

Back