• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Good people of Britain...........PANIC

Having to scrape the frost off my windscreen before going to work in the morning !!
This morning couldn't find my scraper, had to use a discount card, it was useless it only got 20% off :)

Wrong thread!

I always said Liam Dutton was a mighty fine meteorologist.

we shall see on christmas morning .............

giphy.gif

The Rao prick is back.

He just invented a new weather term. How clever.

Radiating heat under cold still air will result in a potential for persistent fog has become RADIATION FOG. Somebody needs to twat this imbecile.

That's still way too much, more than 200lt per person per day. Unless you've got mental power showers there's something somewhere wrong.

Have you had a waterfall fitted in your bathroom? Or are you washing in a fresh hot tub?

Right the latest bill is in and it says that I'm using the equivalent of 32 showers a day (2042 pints), and my monthly amount has shot up to nearly £100. Is it possible that I'm paying for someone else's water on top of my own?

Right the latest bill is in and it says that I'm using the equivalent of 32 showers a day and my monthly amount has shot up to nearly £100. Is it possible that I'm paying for someone else's water on top of my own?
It's more likely you have got a leak on your connecting pipe or a dripping toilet.

Where is your meter? First thing to do is switch everything off in the house using water and then look at your meter. If the arrow is spinning around on the meter with everything off you have a leak or an illegal connection.

That's still way too much, more than 200lt per person per day. Unless you've got mental power showers there's something somewhere wrong.

It's more likely you have got a leak on your connecting pipe or a dripping toilet.

Where is your meter? First thing to do is switch everything off in the house using water and then look at your meter. If the arrow is spinning around on the meter with everything off you have a leak or an illegal connection.

I think that it is on my drive. I'll have to look for it in the morning. At my old address I was using 60% of what I am being told I am now. The toliets aren't making any noises to suggest that there is a leak, ie continuously filling.

I think that it is on my drive. I'll have to look for it in the morning. At my old address I was using 60% of what I am being told I am now. The toliets aren't making any noises to suggest that there is a leak, ie continuously filling.
Probably with toilets is that you don't necessarily notice them. Thames have some good advice on this:

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/be-water-smart/you-can-be-water-smart/leaky-loos

Edit - assuming you are with Severn Trent Water your meter is probably in a circular boundary box in the pavement at the bottom of your drive. A flat head screwdriver will pop it open and you will probably need a torch to read it properly. If you struggle video it with your phone and flash on.

Be careful with water companies, they try to bill you for anything. They tried getting me to pay £200 a couple of years ago because there was a leak somewhere in our close. Leaving aside the fact that I didn't have that kind of money at the time, I told them that they're your pipes, it's certainly not on my property, so go swivel. And never heard anything again so they were blatantly trying it on, which is pretty shameful.

Be careful with water companies, they try to bill you for anything. They tried getting me to pay £200 a couple of years ago because there was a leak somewhere in our close. Leaving aside the fact that I didn't have that kind of money at the time, I told them that they're your pipes, it's certainly not on my property, so go swivel. And never heard anything again so they were blatantly trying it on, which is pretty shameful.
Possibly. You own any pipe from their supply pipe to your house. You can usually get out of repair costs (at least once), but it is your responsibility.

Tbf to water companies they are incredibly forgiving for debt and will usually reduce your bill if you have had a leak and repair it FOC too.

The leak was identified at a neighbour's house and they tried billing everyone collectively it seems. Most people here are really old and rich so they probably just paid it. I am neither so I didn't.

If they had a case then they would have sent me at least a follow up, no?

Not normally no, the publicity they get for chasing debt is horrendous. Unless you are a bad payer or repeat offenders they just let it go.

Personally I believe in one of the world's top ten economies (for now anyway), water should be free, as should broadband, electricity and gas etc. We could easily subsidise these things. But then I'm a massive Communist obviously, and in the real world poor people deserve to freeze to death.

Nothing's really free though, someone has to pay it.

I've nothing against nationalising them all and funding them via taxes. We do have to accept that you have to fund them all properly to get good service, and not reduce taxes and underfund them for good publicity.

That said its an EU directive to privatise water :)

Nothing's really free though, someone has to pay it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45256075

Use the surplus that they're so happy to brag about.

I'm not a massive EU fanboi, as much as it might seem that way. It's just the alternative is so much worse. Think of it as me arguing in favour of Stale Solbakken or the emergency option of Sean O'Driscoll rather than Dean Saunders.

Most water co also make around 25 to 30% profits too.

I'd make them not for profit like Welsh Water for time being.

Back on topic - it's snowing!!!! [emoji3587][emoji3587][emoji301][emoji301][emoji3511][emoji3511]

Has to be a massive leak somewhere on your side of the meter for that amount of usage - had a leak on the toilet last Christmas which, due to the timing couldn't get sorted as quickly as normal (I really should improve my DIY skills) which caused nowhere near that amount of cost.

I do check my meter readings every so often, but fortunately down here South West Water will alert me if it looks like there is a problem & as long as it is fixed within a specific time (which their staff can be asked to come in & deal with) then don't really penalise you.

Back