• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Take out TV revenue and its a very different picture though.

Fosun have always said from the start they want us to bring through more and more academy players - Benfica are a superb model for that.

14 PL clubs turned over more than Benfica last year including the likes of Stoke, Bournemouth and Albion. Now turnover doesn't equal profit and the PL money will be heavily weighted towards TV rather than other commercial revenue, but I don't see the need for us to be involved in anything other than a sharing ideas relationship, we certainly aren't going to be "powered by" anybody.

Exactly this. I can see the Benfica management consulting on DoF and Academy Manager posts (the Thelwell rumours would make sense now) but commercially it wouldn't make sense as the UK market is the biggest in the world so powered by Benfica would carry no weight and would be detrimental to the lucrative home market by damaging Wolves reputation.

The poster suggests Wolves would be some sort of feeder/ junior club in the relationship when this just isn't going to happen.

Take out TV revenue and its a very different picture though.

Fosun have always said from the start they want us to bring through more and more academy players - Benfica are a superb model for that.

Was just going to say this. I don’t they have a massive fanbase? We might want to learn from them, nothing wrong with that

The 'powered by Benfica' stuff is just business / marketing guff. I could easily see us in a mutually beneficial partnership though, the EU residency rules in Portugal would help us too in the long run.

14 stone! What a big tub of fuck. I'm hardly in the best shape ever at the moment and I don't weigh that much.

He was a disgrace fitness wise, he has at least sorted that out. I don't know how the club allowed it to happen.

Not sure why Doc felt compelled to cut out meat to get leaner. I'll bet he lost some muscle along with the flab.

One thing I am very surprised about us that diet wasnt a key factor prior to the Nuno era.

Cramming the right micros in makes a huge difference to recovery, which at that level is hugely important.

Quite a few footballers are going Vegan (although in true style Doc can't be arsed to do it properly)

Easy to be a big fish in a tiny pond.

The tiny pond has produced 4 champions league winners. More that France and just 3 less than Germany for example. Not bad for a 10M country right?

That tiny pond nation is also the current European champion...not bad either.

Also the big fish you mention is the club in the world with most paying members.

Fee agreed for Patricio,€18 million wolves just issued a two line statement,they consider the matter closed now.

The tiny pond has produced 4 champions league winners. More that France and just 3 less than Germany for example. Not bad for a 10M country right?

That tiny pond nation is also the current European champion...not bad either.

Also the big fish you mention is the club in the world with most paying members.

I have no idea what your point is. Portugal have 3 dominant teams in an average league where teams below those 3 would struggle in the Championship. If you've only got 3 teams in your league you tend to get most of the fans. Celtic and Rangers in Scotland and Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord in Holland prove this too.

Are you saying Benfica have the biggest fan base in the world? Really?

I have no idea what your point is. Portugal have 3 dominant teams in an average league where teams below those 3 would struggle in the Championship. If you've only got 3 teams in your league you tend to get most of the fans. Celtic and Rangers in Scotland and Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord in Holland prove this too.

Are you saying Benfica have the biggest fan base in the world? Really?
Not fanbase, but paying members. Guinness world record and all. Personally, I doubt some of it, but it's there.

The bit about the league with three dominant teams is half-true. Mostly, it's two dominant teams with an interested third-party on the lookout. Sporting hasn't won a league in 16 years and has won 4 in the last 40 years.

And tbh, most of our top league wouldn't struggle in the Championship, they would be decimated.

I don't understand the paying members thing, do you have a link Joel?

I don't understand the paying members thing, do you have a link Joel?

Basically, most Portuguese clubs operate in two different institutions. You have the public limited company side and the club side. The club is owned by the members, who pay a monthly or yearly fee to the club. Normally, this club institution owns the majority of the PLC and, as such, the members get to decide over the fate of the club as a whole. There have been instances where a club has sold the majority of the PLC company and it spiralled out of control. Last of these may be the situation of CF Os Belenenses with law suits flying back and forth. Just now a court ruled in favour of the club, prohibiting the PLC company from using the clubs trademarks, infrastructures and other rights. Fun fact, we currently have two "Belenenses" clubs. One in our first league, belonging to the PLC company and another in the lower leagues, belonging to the original club.

I'm explaining because I have no idea if this exists in England atm, never looked into it!

News regarding the Guinness thing? It's quite old, 2006 I think. Over time, I think Bayern ran over Benfica regarding paying members. Benfica lost a lot of them over the last 10 years, the last recount was done in 2016. I went from being member number around 240000 to 115000, for example.

Links:

Benfica paid member page

Guinness thing

Fun fact story 1

Fun fact story 2

PS: Portuguese football is hilarious!

Last edited:
Back