• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Our game v Spurs will be at Wembley. Looks like the last league game they will play there.

Our game v Spurs will be at Wembley. Looks like the last league game they will play there.

Won't be going to that then - would have considered it if they were back in the new ground just to see what they had bought.

A piece of interesting news:

Benfica chairman gave a few moments ago a long interview on a national TV channel.

Among other things, he said that Benfica was invited to take over a premiership club management (not ownership) so that Benfica model could be implemented on that same club.

He refused to say the club name but there was some rumours about this theme a few months ago.

A piece of interesting news:

Benfica chairman gave a few moments ago a long interview on a national TV channel.

Among other things, he said that Benfica was invited to take over a premiership club management (not ownership) so that Benfica model could be implemented on that same club.

He refused to say the club name but there was some rumours about this theme a few months ago.
I'm not sure I understand. "Benfica model"? Manage but not own?

What does this mean??

I'm not sure I understand. "Benfica model"? Manage but not own?

What does this mean??

He wasn't clear but I think he meant Benfica business model when it comes to the academy, merchandise, branding etc. In other words Benfica would be hired by a premiership club to run the club the same way Benfica is.

Benfica CEO said the same thing a few months ago. He said that it would be something like "insert club name" powered by Benfica. It would actually be something to expand to other countries. All of them would be "Powered by Benfica". Here:

https://www.google.pt/amp/s/www.rec...ntrar-na-gestao-de-um-clube-da-premier-league

This theme was not mentioned again until today. The chairman said its something that may be happening soon.

No way it's Wolves. Fosun don't need advice from other clubs. Shi is a learned guy and we have Jorge on the line for any crazy circumstances.

If this is happening I honestly don't see any other club in the premiership with as good terms with Benfica as Wolves. But like I said he never said the club name.

I honestly don't see how this would harm Wolves honestly. All executive decisions would still be Fosun's.

Just because we've bought a few Benfica players doesn't mean we're on the best terms with them out of every Prem club.

Not saying it would be bad necessarily, but just don't see the point.

Just because we've bought a few Benfica players doesn't mean we're on the best terms with them out of every Prem club.

I think I wasn't clear .

Benfica will not own the club in any way, they will just transfer their knowledge in more efficient business operation to the respective club. It's not an ownership, more of a service.

I think I wasn't clear .

Benfica will not own the club in any way, they will just transfer their knowledge in more efficient business operation to the respective club. It's not an ownership, more of a service.
Doesn't really change my opinion tbf. What's the benefit for Wolves? With respect to Benfica, who are massive in Portugal and no slouches globally, Fosun are aiming to put us in a different bracket altogether.

Actually our owners are very friendly with Benfica. They even had a couple of the main guys over for the first game with Fosun in charge at Rotherham.
Jeff talked about them at the start saying they helped out when Fosun decided to buy a club. Our relationship with Benfica is more than purchasing a few players.

14 PL clubs turned over more than Benfica last year including the likes of Stoke, Bournemouth and Albion. Now turnover doesn't equal profit and the PL money will be heavily weighted towards TV rather than other commercial revenue, but I don't see the need for us to be involved in anything other than a sharing ideas relationship, we certainly aren't going to be "powered by" anybody.

Back