• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

If the Premier League decides they want to do it though I'm sure Murdoch could 'persuade' government...

I doubt it while MPs representing Hillsborough victims are still in Parliament.

I doubt it while MPs representing Hillsborough victims are still in Parliament.

I guess that depends if Liverpool and the fans agree with it. If they can get the club, fans and the victims families to agree I can't see a sensible reason for not allowing it.

Agree, although I see where Paddy is coming from. It's a very sensitive subject.

If the Premier League decides they want to do it though I'm sure Murdoch could 'persuade' government...
The Sun would be mad to get involved in a safe standing debate given their Hillsborough record. This Government listens to Dacre more than Murdoch anyway.

I like Jeff but i think hes either getting mixed up or trying to be all things to all people with these quotes.

"I hope the stadium can be louder, and I think the fans more fierce and aggressive to support the team"

"I hope eventually when the fans come to the stadium they will feel it’s family entertainment. It’s so important after five days work they feel it’s enjoyable"

I like Jeff but i think hes either getting mixed up or trying to be all things to all people with these quotes.

"I hope the stadium can be louder, and I think the fans more fierce and aggressive to support the team"

"I hope eventually when the fans come to the stadium they will feel it’s family entertainment. It’s so important after five days work they feel it’s enjoyable"

You're taking his comments literally. He means he wants the fans to get behind the team properly (i.e. chanting), he wants the ground rocking, but ultimately he wants it to be a safe environment for all of the family - which it should be.

My point was more around people coming into the stand earlier which is what Jeff wants to happen. I can only speak for myself, but I normally get into the ground at about 2.30 and have a pint in the concourse, if I could take it into the stand I probably would and therefore be in my seat 20 mins or so earlier.

Years ago fans did get into the ground a lot earlier than they do now. Back in the 70's the North Bank would be full by 2 o'clock.

IMG_1878.jpg

Just been tagged on Facebook on a Rangers thread about this. Nothing announced by Wolves?

BORO will be hosting a prestigious six-team tournament here at The Coombe Abbey Arena in July that will feature teams from Liverpool, Jong PSV Eindhoven, Glasgow Rangers, Wolves, Coventry City and, of course, Nuneaton Town.
It’s a mouth-watering line-up for what will provide ideal preparation for the new season.
“I would like to congratulate Tommy on putting together what is a very prestigious and also very impressive line-up of clubs,” said Boro Chairman, Lee Thorn. “He managed to organise two consecutive tournaments during his tenure over at Corby Town and he has delivered something very special for us this summer, which we are already looking forward to.
“We are delighted that such renowned clubs have accepted the invites and we look forward to hosting this tournament in July.”
It will take place on the weekend of Saturday, July 29th and Sunday, July 30th here at The Coombe Abbey Arena and will feature three games per day (running order of fixtures to be announced shortly), with kick-off times at 11.00am, 2.30pm and 5.45pm.
Each team will play over two games (of 90-minute duration) and the overall winner will be decided in a League format.
Tickets for the whole weekend of top-quality action will be priced at:
ADULTS - £40
SEASON TICKET HOLDERS -£35
CONCESSIONS - £30
UNDER 16’s - £15
“I am delighted that the Chairman has backed my plans for the football club,” added manager, Tommy Wright. “Putting this event on is a clear message that he wants to re-build the football club to the level you want it to be.
“I would like to thank the managers and coaches of all the clubs that are participating. This will be a festival of football and something I really hope the whole town get behind.
“It’s going to provide excellent preparation for the new season.”
The tournament will form part of a mouth-watering pre-season for Boro with a number of friendly fixtures agreed.
The full schedule is, as follows:

Monday 10th July - BARWELL (away) 19.45 KO
Tuesday 11th July - PETERBOROUGH UNITED first-team (home) 19.30 KO
Saturday 15th July - LEEDS UNITED XI (home) 15.00 KO
Monday 17th July - HEATHER ST. JOHNS (away) 19.45 KO
Tuesday 18th July - COALVILLE TOWN (away) 19.45 KO
Saturday 22nd July - LEICESTER CITY XI (home) 13.00 KO
Monday 24th July - NUNEATON GRIFF (away) 19.30 KO
Tuesday 25th July- HINCKLEY AFC (away) 19.45 KO
Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July - TOURNAMENT (home)
Monday 31st July - RUGBY TOWN (away) 19.45 KO
Tuesday 1st August - BEDWORTH UNITED (away) 19.45 KO

Presume that will be a U23's Tournament

Not too bothered about Zyro and Graham at this stage of the season, better to make sure they're rightfor next season. He also seems to be saying the kids that have been used already will get first dibs, which seems sensible to me.......I'm hoping to see MGW and Wilson at some stage today

Not too bothered about Zyro and Graham at this stage of the season, better to make sure they're rightfor next season. He also seems to be saying the kids that have been used already will get first dibs, which seems sensible to me.......I'm hoping to see MGW and Wilson at some stage today

yeah, posted my thing before i actually read the article..of course results are ultimate for a manager to keep his job though

I don't think he sees playing the young players as 'experimenting', he thinks they're good enough. He gave MGW his debut at 1-0 at Stoke as an example - that's a pretty decent statement of trust.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of the younger players on the pitch between now and the end of the season because he's never been scared to play them.

And anyway - I'd like to think that some of our supposed 1st team squad are playing for their futures.

And anyway - I'd like to think that some of our supposed 1st team squad are playing for their futures.

He made a decent point on this, specifically when asked about Stearman, he said he already knows all he has to about these players now, so nothing now is really going to change his mind. Which is good, we don't want a Darren Ferguson scenario where someone has four halfway reasonable perfomances in nothing games at the end of the season and cons a two year deal out of it.

Stearman slipping to fourth choice (as he basically is when everyone's fit) and Price not even making the bench for the last month or so tells you where those two are in his thinking. He might, might be undecided on Saville as he still uses him every now and then, personally I'd release him in the summer.

What he says isn't consistent with the words Timbo has put around it.... nothing new there. If Graham and Zyro aren't ready they shouldn't play, the same for the likes of Ennis and Johnson. He makes a point of saying MGW and Wilson are part of his first team squad though and mentions Herc as well, so no reason why these couldn't get some action before the end of the season. I think he'll play the usual 15/16 today and Tuesday against teams who still have something to play for and then hope we see something a bit more experimental against Derby and Preston.

He made a decent point on this, specifically when asked about Stearman, he said he already knows all he has to about these players now, so nothing now is really going to change his mind. Which is good, we don't want a Darren Ferguson scenario where someone has four halfway reasonable perfomances in nothing games at the end of the season and cons a two year deal out of it.

Stearman slipping to fourth choice (as he basically is when everyone's fit) and Price not even making the bench for the last month or so tells you where those two are in his thinking. He might, might be undecided on Saville as he still uses him every now and then, personally I'd release him in the summer.
Agree about saville, just move him on or release

He's out of contract (we have a year's option but we haven't exercised it yet). He'll make a bottom third Championship/top six League One career but he's not for us. I don't want us keeping him on the basis that he's ostensibly versatile, his primary job is as a CM and other than a bit of yarddog job he doesn't offer enough.

Back