• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

This is all well and good on paper but I guarantee when we sell players (which is what he is saying here) he will be lambasted as having no ambition. The players who become worth more will likely be ones that have delivered on the pitch. Our Express and Star fans aren't going to take kindly to their heroes being sold despite the fact that they will have had ample warning.

How many players do we have who we could sell for say upwards of £3m though?

Hause - you could see £5m+ from the PL I guess. Reaction would be negative unless it was closer to double figures I'd say.

Iorfa - potentially yes if the purchaser looks beyond this season, dependant on what's happened behind the scenes this maybe best for both parties. Reaction would probably be negative

Costa - been debated to death. Assuming the fee is near to £20m or above the reaction will similar to on here I'd have thought. Some will say you don't sell your best player, others will look at the short term profit on the deal and hope we reinvest.

Cav - unless Mendes does one of his special deals it's unlikely we'd make our money back on him at the moment. I think the reaction would be pretty exclusively negative here.

So using my arbitrary figure of £3m, there's only 4 players in our squad I think we could get that for, so anyone else we move out even if they are popular such as Doherty or Edwards (outside of TWF I know!), it would be for football rather than pure financial reasons. I excluded the likes of Ennis, MGW, Ronan from this, if we sell them at this stage of their development then a meltdown will and should happen.

You might be surprised at the fees players like Mason could command. Of course we could also raise a fair amount of money by bulk sales of the likes of EEL, Price, Bod, Saville etc.
Currently I doubt FFP is a major worry though another summer like the last would change that, though selling Costa sorts it. I expect 2 or 3 relatively big money signings with a couple of Mendes loans in and ideally about 6 sales plus release of every one we can. Sales of course are always dependant on finding buyers.

Very reassuring interview. On the debate of selling on those players that gain in value, I think that depends on the player - if they want to go elsewhere and play at a higher level then I'm sure we will let them go at a profit and reinvest on someone who wants to play for us. As the clearly stated ambition is to get into the Premier League and then stay there, I cannot see them selling our best players unless they express a desire to leave. On the contrary, he was talking about having strength in depth in all positions.

The important thing is we hope the fans can come to the stadium earlier, not just one minute before the game.

Got to give us a reason to bother then. At the moment it's stay in the pub and have another pint vs listen to jason.forrest@wolves.co.uk wittering on and/or buy something hideously overpriced from the concourse, it's not really a competition.

I think Darymple has made this quite clear, that there will be changes to the matchday experience. As you say, much needed.

It's all down to the individual. I prefer to get there just before kick off, the same as when I go to the cinema just before the film starts so I don't have to watch all the crap beforehand.

Personally there is not a lot that would get me into the South Bank more than five mins before the game even if that means missing some flashing lights or a few flags being waved.

This is all well and good on paper but I guarantee when we sell players (which is what he is saying here) he will be lambasted as having no ambition. The players who become worth more will likely be ones that have delivered on the pitch. Our Express and Star fans aren't going to take kindly to their heroes being sold despite the fact that they will have had ample warning.

It's worked pretty well for Southampton and for me, a pretty sensible strategy as long as you can find the right replacements.

It's worked pretty well for Southampton and for me, a pretty sensible strategy as long as you can find the right replacements.

Me too. I would like to see the Southampton model working for us and I think it can we just need the right people involved. Demoting Thelwell to head of Academy would seem sensible as it is the one thing he looks to be decent at. Get a proper DoF in and away we go.

If they want to increase attendance, and are keen to learn from the Germans, could I suggest they adopt German ticket pricing..?

If they want to increase attendance, and are keen to learn from the Germans, could I suggest they adopt German ticket pricing..?
Plus German standing, more incentive to get in early if you want a good view and pretty sure you can have a beer in the stands there too. I appreciate both of these are beyond the control of the club.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Plus German standing, more incentive to get in early if you want a good view and pretty sure you can have a beer in the stands there too. I appreciate both of these are beyond the control of the club.

You don't have to get there early to get a good spot with German style standing, you're allocated a space just as you would be with a seat I believe.

You don't have to get there early to get a good spot with German style standing, you're allocated a space just as you would be with a seat I believe.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Presumed it was just a free for all like it used to be here

Depends from ground to ground. When I went to St Pauli every other week it was just bog standard terracing and anything goes. Anywhere where it's rail seating then you have an allocated spot.

And yeah you can drink in the stand.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Presumed it was just a free for all like it used to be here
I could be mistaken, my only bundesliga experience was seated, but I thought that's what classified it as safe standing opposed to what went before it.

South bank is effectively standing since the club started turning a blind eye to it.

Not sure drinking is that relevant as a lot of people get drunk before and also have a drink at half time. I'm not sure it would make that much difference to the atmosphere if you could drink during the game.

Safe standing isn't too far away from happening in England I believe. So hopefully that will help the clubs case in terms of atmosphere

South bank is effectively standing since the club started turning a blind eye to it.

Not sure drinking is that relevant as a lot of people get drunk before and also have a drink at half time. I'm not sure it would make that much difference to the atmosphere if you could drink during the game.
My point was more around people coming into the stand earlier which is what Jeff wants to happen. I can only speak for myself, but I normally get into the ground at about 2.30 and have a pint in the concourse, if I could take it into the stand I probably would and therefore be in my seat 20 mins or so earlier.

I think Bristol City were very close to introducing some kind of safe-standing, as I mistaken?

Back