• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Forest 1 - 2 Wolves: Go, Diogo, Go!

That run by Jota in the second half is obscene! That full back is going to have flashbacks.

Amazing run isn't it? Imagine trying to have to defend against that.

The ball down the line by Miranda with the outside of his boot for the Jota run/Bonatini saved shot.

Another superb piece of play, it's fucking unreal that we're watching this level of football this season after the last few years. Long may it continue.

Cav's cross was top notch as well, perfectly placed and impossible to defend against.

He seemed genuinely confused when Mikey Burrows implied that we didn't play well in the first half.

I agree with Nuno - we were dominant in the first half, we were never threatened and carved out some good opportunities. There were a few misplaced passes, most of them from Cavalieiro. The Wolves fans stopped singing the song about him never giving the ball away after about the fourth time he gave the ball away. We aren't going to play like Barcelona for 90 minutes every match...we won the game by imposing our game in the first half and capitalised in the second. 4 or 5 goals would have done our performance justice.

Boly has played a few delightful passes, Alan. Derby away he nonchalantly chipped a ball over an incoming striker with the outside of his boot.

Yep! I didn't mean my comment to be a negative, more a comment on a clear tactical ploy for Leo to play deep.

Not at all, the people with a few brain cells will know how Nuno wants Leo to play. Leo is such a clever player, hope that tackle doesnt keep him out long, still no news on that.

Not sure why Ruddy makes no effort to save it. Regardless of his starting position he takes a few steps inside and then doesn't dive when it's a metre away from him in the middle of the goal?

Looks like we created some good chances. Feel Leo needs to be a bit more selfish, that first chance he was 20 yards out on his left foot, have a dig. Cav maybe the opposite, pass is back inside to Jota rather than blasting into row z on a tight angle.

Those Pass maps look good. Murphy literally wasn't in the game, and even though he's shit. He's the sort of player whose given us problems in the past.

Give Vinagre, Bonatini, Jota, Neves, Coady and Ruddy a rest against Rovers. All the rest can play, although we do have capacity to make more changes than that if needed.

Not to criticise Jota too much but I think it was the wrong pass, a right footed pass and Cav can run onto it whereas the pass he received was into him and he had to get it out of his body again. Poor effort all the same though.

Not at all, the people with a few brain cells will know how Nuno wants Leo to play. Leo is such a clever player, hope that tackle doesnt keep him out long, still no news on that.

:whistle:

Not sure why Ruddy makes no effort to save it. Regardless of his starting position he takes a few steps inside and then doesn't dive when it's a metre away from him in the middle of the goal?

Ruddys already gone for the cross, his foot is planted and its almost impossible to take his body back towards the ball.

Ruddy had gone for the cross - which 99 times out of a 100 is what is coming - this was the 1 time it didn't & he got caught out. Looks poor but suspect that most keepers would have moved the same way

Ruddys already gone for the cross, his foot is planted and its almost impossible to take his body back towards the ball.

Ruddy had gone for the cross - which 99 times out of a 100 is what is coming - this was the 1 time it didn't & he got caught out. Looks poor but suspect that most keepers would have moved the same way

I know he assumed cross, but it wasn't in the end and he had 25 yards to change his mind (which he does). He takes two steps to his right and then just needs to put a dive in and he "MIGHT"have saved it.

Like I said ball was little more than an arms length away from him.

Regardless, bit of a pointless discussion.

At that end of the day it was a shit bit of goalkeeper however we try and milk it.

When we are complaining about the (so far so good) keeper getting positioning wrong for a freak goal that didn't cost us anything then I would wager that most things are going rather well.

The keeping looks shit in all of the goals to be fair.

Forest keeper just gives up on the first, can't get to the cross and then just stands watching as the ball passes him before rolling into the net off Jota.

Fuck knows where Ruddy is going on their goal, the Forest lad never even looks like crossing it so he's taken one hell of a gamble stepping out then makes no real effort to recover when the shot isn't that far away from him.

Forest keeper goes for the complete opposite approach for the 2nd, properly over commits as Jota beats the last defender and has to watch another one trickle past while he's stranded.

When we are complaining about the (so far so good) keeper getting positioning wrong for a freak goal that didn't cost us anything then I would wager that most things are going rather well.

Exactly. You could see he was anticipating the cross in to the far post and had taken a few steps that way ready to come out for it. By the time he realised it was a shot, it was too late and it had gone past him. I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment - his good moments far outweigh the bad.

That goal won't happen again this season & Ruddy has gained sufficient brownie points already to be allowed 1 mistake (assuming thats what it was - & not convinced on that)

Didn't cost us anything on the day so not overly relevant

It was a cock up IMO but Ruddy has been superb so far this season so I don't care. The key is after the cock up he made a few decent saves and one belting claim from a long ball, he was not bothered one jot. Cracking keeper and one of Thelwells few decent signings.

Put me down in the "don't get the Leo criticism" group, please.

I get the impression people are happy to criticise him because we didn't sign a "20 goal a season striker" on deadline day. Even though Leo's scoring record is far superior this season compared to our strikers from last season. I also get the impression that the fans baying for a "20 goal a season striker" see nothing else in a forwards game other than goals. Leo's link up play is brilliant. His pass for Jota's second goal was superb - and his little flicks and unselfish lay-offs are exactly what we need.

My only criticism of Leo is that he lacks a bit of pace. He's very comfortable with his back turned to goal, but give him 20 yards of space to run at with the ball at his feet, and he seems on the sluggish side. I can put up with that, though - as he has the likes of Jota, Cav & Bright around him who can do that.

I'd perhaps like to see him leather a couple of shots at goal from distance when he has the chance - there's being unselfish and there's shying away from having a pop yourself. Difficult to find the right balance as a new striker coming in to the league, but overall, I've been very pleased with Leo's contribution.

It was disappointing from Ruddy but again in mitigation, in real time it happened very fast and the shot was pretty powerful.

By the time anybody realised what was happening in the ground, the ball had it the back of the net. Even the Forest fans around me delayed their reactions.

Their goal wasn't a wonder strike and 99 times out of a 100 it would have been instantly forgettable as it would be an easy claim for the keeper.

As for Leo, you get the feeling if he was blessed with pace he wouldn't be rocking up in football backwaters. He is the type who is clearly going to have a decent career without ever hitting the heights. Technically he is exactly what we need now but I would be surprised if he was still first choice in January.

It was disappointing from Ruddy but again in mitigation, in real time it happened very fast and the shot was pretty powerful.

By the time anybody realised what was happening in the ground, the ball had it the back of the net. Even the Forest fans around me delayed their reactions.

That only really excuses the recovery though, from the highlights there's no reason for Ruddy to have come out to begin with as the Forest player never looks like crossing the ball, he just comes inside and bangs it with no hesitation or deception involved, Ruddy guessed for some reason that he was going to cross it early and he got it completely wrong, really poor decision.

That only really excuses the recovery though, from the highlights there's no reason for Ruddy to have come out to begin with as the Forest player never looks like crossing the ball, he just comes inside and bangs it with no hesitation or deception involved, Ruddy guessed for some reason that he was going to cross it early and he got it completely wrong, really poor decision.

It was but I can't remember ever seeing a 'keeper who has never made a mistake.

Back