• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

We got punished for a dive like that against Man City. Mahrez or Sterling, can't remember which.

Garth Crooks talking bollocks about referees and VAR in his weekly abomination of a column

i can't see VAR being binned so be better to lobby for improvements. i can remember the the discussion on here (with me very much in favour) and part of the opposition was the interruption of flow and the time spent so that clearly is a fuck up. our club experience does demonstrate bad judgements by refs but also, outside of the few apologies, an obstinacy on their part to actually improve. with Arse taking their step I just wonder what the right approach should be because this is now significantly affecting the fairness and integrity of the competition.

just to add, bad mistakes happened pre VAR and in greater number. it's just difficult to take when they have better evidence and don't use it. but we had loads of shitty diving, a clear offside goal scored at the World Cup that had to stand even though the whole stadium could see it was off before the game had kicked off again - Tevez? you'd get the same again and everyone whinging how VAR had mainly improved things.

The simple thing is you can’t get the toothpaste back in the tube. There will be no return to pre-VAR football. It just won’t happen.

So it becomes a case of working with what we have got to make it less shit.

Ange's post match comments last night were interseting (and refreshing to a point) regarding VAR and how it is eroding the referee's authority.

Var was brought in to counteract human error by referees.
Var can look at incidents slowly and from various angles that the ref cant, so why the fuck is it so scared to overule the ref.
That's what it's there for, ffs.

Ange's post match comments last night were interseting (and refreshing to a point) regarding VAR and how it is eroding the referee's authority.

That's a good interview, and he's shining a light on Arteta being a big baby too.

the erosion of referees authority has existed for the whole of my life as a football fan, it hasn't just suddenly appeared with VAR. the game moves on because there's far more money involved, everything about the sport has changed and everything will be analysed to the nth degree. we might not like a lot of it and there's always a nostalgia about the past but, sadly in some cases, the old days are gone. VAR was intended to help referees make better calls and avoid bad errors or else there is no point to it. they didn't for instance have to spend ages on offside decisions, they could have simplified it considerably to a clear gap or something similar.

if VAR is shining a light on many referees inability to identify simulation or their understanding of what constitutes actual foul play then I think its better to know and maybe do something about that than continue in blind ignorance and expectation that they know what they're doing. we do and we have to accept referees decisions, I don't think any of us are calling for extra points or replays, but at the same time we shouldn't expect the game to continue with up to 5 mins to check something, refs giving penalties for nothing and citing minimal contact as good evidence or allowing shin high tackles to go unpunished. it has to be better than what it currently is.

Absolutely agree with him. Oliver had a decent game, there were no VAR errors or controversy, and yet there were minute after minute of breaks.

That's VAR working as intended and as good as it's going to get, and it's an abomination

Forgot he gave the ref a round of fucks for the penalty and red card..

Absolutely agree with him. Oliver had a decent game, there were no VAR errors or controversy, and yet there were minute after minute of breaks.

That's VAR working as intended and as good as it's going to get, and it's an abomination
Oliver did have a decent game, however both Romero and Udogie could have been sent off for challenges in the first half.

I think before VAR you could understand refs / linesmen missing tight calls or tight decisions so they got some leeway. The obvious answer was to give refs the tool to do their job.

When VAR (tooling) came along everyone's expectations of refereeing standards went up so the tolerance for wrong calls went away.

The problem now is that it's obvious, mostly, to everyone watching when wrong calls get made but there is little tolerance for the person making these calls, especially when convoluted explanations are used to explain why the ref was 'right'.

I think the mindsets of the officials needs to change, as the game has changed and the referee can no longer be this central figure of authority. Instead trust needs to be given to all officials to do their jobs and call out things that are wrong, if VAR spots something wrong that should be enough - why does the ref need to go to the monitor to have another look? I think this would help improve standards if the whole officiating team were jointly accountable for the decisions made in the match.

It would appear GON has had another Howard Webb convo
From what I've read in the bham mail GON is saying the right things in terms of getting the players to respond in the right way to crappy calls. It also reads like we're being a bit more sympathetic towards the refs than Arsenal are being. Whether that makes any difference remains to be seen.

I don't think he means grassroots in the sense I would use use it, I presume he's referring to Boldmere so Step 4 semi pro. They are next to bottom and haven't won a game since September, so he'd be better off looking elsewhere for solutions

His idea of getting refs to do offsides at the grass roots level, as well and their other duties is bat shit and would lead to more controversy, not less.

Back