• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

Way to encourage people to give up their spare time there, Captain Twat.
The refs at grassroots get 40 quid a game plus travel.

I wouldn't want to do it for that, but it's not at all bad for a couple of hours "work".

That's the bit that could be improved on and I have no idea why they don't play the incident out over the screens in the stadia. It's not as if it's a big secret.
This morning on the radio Wayne Barnes was of this opinion too.

He was at the Brentford game on Saturday and was frustrated at what was going on with the lack of communication.

He also mentioned that he worked in a team with his TMO. Something many have advocated for, and is my opinion too. Refs work in teams with assistant refs so why wouldn't they work with VAR officials and 4th officials?

Seems so simple when a top level official of another sport lays out out like that.

This morning on the radio Wayne Barnes was of this opinion too.

He was at the Brentford game on Saturday and was frustrated at what was going on with the lack of communication.

He also mentioned that he worked in a team with his TMO. Something many have advocated for, and is my opinion too. Refs work in teams with assistant refs so why wouldn't they work with VAR officials and 4th officials?

Seems so simple when a top level official of another sport lays out out like that.
I enjoyed that interview especially the bit about being petrified of Martin Johnson. I think that the idea of an official being away from the conversations of others makes sense too. That way they have to be more objective than having the refs opinion in their mind.

Tbf, I have been vocal about VAR ruining celebrations.... I was wrong today! (though I was worried VAR would rule out Lemina's goal for offside)

It's all about how you see it at the time, there's a couple of goals I've not celebrated because I thought there was a handball in the build up. Raul scored one, I can't remember the other. Both stood

It's the killer for me when you do the full celebration, calm down and see VAR check. 3 mins later no goal.

Boly v Leicester at Molineux. That destroyed the game for me. Had zero interest in the 2nd half.

De Zerbi thinks it’s a PL a problem.

IMG_4910.jpeg

Having watched both Italian and French games on TNT I tend to agree.

I was so excited when VAR started to be thing. No more bad decision making. But it's gone a bit south since then :confused:

As we say in the biz, junk data in, junk data out.

“Clear and obvious” combined with “not wishing to re-referee the game” means the whole system is skewed toward agreeing with the man in the middle who has such paper thin skin he seemingly can’t cope with the idea that he may have made an error.

The only question for VAR should be “on the balance of probabilities has the correct decision been made”. If that cannot be said then the ref should be heading to the monitor with extra info like “looks like a push on the defender” or “there is no contact with the forward” for the referee to then be final arbiter which is as it should be.

“Clear and obvious” combined with “not wishing to re-referee the game” means the whole system is skewed toward agreeing with the man in the middle who has such paper thin skin he seemingly can’t cope with the idea that he may have made an error.

The only question for VAR should be “on the balance of probabilities has the correct decision been made”. If that cannot be said then the ref should be heading to the monitor with extra info like “looks like a push on the defender” or “there is no contact with the forward” for the referee to then be final arbiter which is as it should be.
I think they've copied the 'Clear and Obvious' thang from cricket's 'Umpires Call'. Totally different game not transmutable.
Hwang's boot-tracking - penalty given, on 'umpires call' 🤣
Personally I dont generally blame the ref on the spot at the time for an incorrect call, the game is super fast and players super crafty, everyone knows that.
If the ref makes a tight call, it should be reviewed and corrected as necessary - and no point in telling him to run over and look at a pitch-side monitor either. Thats just another sop to the ref's ego.
- erm, we think you've made a wrong call, but we'll still make it look like it's you who is making the final call. - Pointless.

He sort of has to be the final arbiter. Otherwise the whole thing is pointless.

He sort of has to be the final arbiter. Otherwise the whole thing is pointless.
OK. Make the final call after hes been told the verdict in his earpiece, no need for him to run over to a pitchside TV. We already know if he's doing that, he's going to reverse the original decision.

Back