• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

And shop staff will be exempt from wearing masks under the new law...

Decided to sell all my shares today, as the price has finally recovered to where it was before the pandemic began, and I'm fairly sure there is a second wave coming which will screw everything again.

Here in Ireland, there's a controversy brewing over American tourists who are arriving here on holiday, and not following the guidelines of quarantining for 14 days.
Considering the fact that we get tens of thousands of American's here every year, and coupled with the fact that a lot of people essentially believe the pandemic to be over and are not social distancing, the risk of a second wave is very real.

Myself and my wife are in the process of saving for a deposit on a house so I thought it was the best time to cash out the shares.

I have one part-time assistant in my store - and she has just tested positive. Asymptomatic and feels fine.

Guidelines state "If you were within 6 feet of someone with COVID-19 for 15 minutes or more, then you should quarantine for 14 days from when you were exposed and stay separated from other people in your household." She last worked 4 hours on Friday but we both wore masks the whole time and were more than 6 feet apart pretty much the whole time. I will get a test, but the question is do I close the store and self quarantine or not?

When this happens to someone else it is very easy to say that they should close the store and go home. But the question is whether we were in close enough contact that quarantine is necessary, or advisable. While I ponder this further, I am staying at work and keeping the store open, but telling customers what has happened.

I feel a lot of stores who started with good systems in place (sanitiser stations, queues etc) have let their standards slip a lot, and likewise for many customers. Some fucking arsehat came and stood right next to me in the supermarket yesterday, and was completely oblivious (and to the round of fucks i verbally aimed in his direction).

shops that have just re-opened are a bit more on message, and keen to ensure they keep distances in place.

not sure random tannoy announcements are the way to go though.

Also, mrs jelly had a scan on amazon earlier and noted the expected delivery date for facemasks has become around 20 august...

I feel a lot of stores who started with good systems in place (sanitiser stations, queues etc) have let their standards slip a lot, and likewise for many customers. Some fucking arsehat came and stood right next to me in the supermarket yesterday, and was completely oblivious (and to the round of fucks i verbally aimed in his direction).

shops that have just re-opened are a bit more on message, and keen to ensure they keep distances in place.

not sure random tannoy announcements are the way to go though.

Also, mrs jelly had a scan on amazon earlier and noted the expected delivery date for facemasks has become around 20 august...

Have reopened the charity shop today, but have full face visors for the staff rather than masks as they are more comfortable if you have to wear something for a number of hours.

Have bought a stock of face masks on Amazon which we can sell off - being delivered next week (depends what type you are trying to get), but that's only with a Prime account (though tbf it's only the trial version - don't really want it so will cancel when delivery occurs & well before they charge me)

From the Guardian...

There may be positive news on the way from the world-leading Oxford University trial developing a vaccine against Covid-19.

According to ITV’s Robert Peston, the first data from the trial is due to be published in the Lancet, possibly tomorrow, and will show that the vaccine is developing a positive antibody and T-cell response.

Why are T-cells important? Well, T-cells are a major component of the immune system and there is a growing body of evidence that an effective Covid-19 vaccine will need to trigger T-cells as well as antibodies.

According to Peston, few of the vaccines under development around the world increase both antibodies and T-cells. But the Oxford vaccine “looks as though it has this twin effect,” he writes.

He quotes a source as saying:

“An important point to keep in mind is that there are two dimensions to the immune response: antibodies and T-cells.

“Everybody is focussed on antibodies but there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the T-cells response is important in the defence against coronavirus.

So my helper has the virus. Her main job is in an upscale restaurant where one of the cooks is ill with covid-19. Restaurant stays open. She gets a test which shows positive. Her employer says - you have no symptoms, keep working!!!!!!

There is a lawsuit waiting to happen there.

She now has symptoms so they sent her home.

"Health Secretary Matt Hancock has called for an urgent review into the compilation of coronavirus deaths data in England.

It comes after it was confirmed that the number of reported deaths included people who had tested positive months before they died."

So does this mean if you had a test in April, tested positive, got better then today you die due to something else you are classed as a Covid death?

The guidance for returning to work is to be updated to give employers more discretion of where their staff can work from.

While at the moment, staff are being advised to work from home where possible, in future staff will be encouraged to use public transport and talk to their employers as to whether they can return safely.

BoJo can do one if he thinks I'm getting back on rush hour trains to Birmingham

The PM says he hopes the UK will return to "significant" normality by the middle of November, with the remainder of restrictions eased "possibly for Christmas".

Free for all on the Christmas Shopping...YAY

He mentioned attending football stadiums as well but I have popped that bit in the Wolves/Covid Thread

Surely everyone should be able to work from home as far as possible if they wish? All sorts of benefits.

Sir Patrick Vallance has clearly stated there is no need to change the guidance on working from home.
Is this the moment the politicians completely break from SAGE? (We know they've not been following SAGE for weeks, but not everyone does).

People actually going to work, buy a coffee on the way in, sandwich at lunchtime, cheeky pint after work. This is what the government wants, to get the economy back.

Its tough, its entirely understandable for the government to be trying to get people back into city centres - its not unrealistic to say the whole city centre economy, around offices, pret and expensive beer, is possibly never going to come back.

No excuse to risk people's live though when most office workers are as, if not more, productive at home.

No excuse to risk people's live though when most office workers are as, if not more, productive at home.

Simply moving the choice to the bosses. Removes their responsibility should it go tits up. Also I don't think Boris is a fan of Zoom calls so presumes everyone is the same.

Already seeing a change where my wife works. At the begining they were very happy with the working from home for the office staff but in the last week have changed that stance and the wife is now completing her first full working week at her desk since March

Simply moving the choice to the bosses. Removes their responsibility should it go tits up. Also I don't think Boris is a fan of Zoom calls so presumes everyone is the same.

Already seeing a change where my wife works. At the begining they were very happy with the working from home for the office staff but in the last week have changed that stance and the wife is now completing her first full working week at her desk since March

We've gone the other way - already looking at which UK offices to close down with the plan for on average one day a week in the office (which is still more than I managed pre-covid tbf), but only if it adds benefit. Most of our offices are city centre ones too.

No chance social distancing rules are gone this side of the new year. He's going to make a lot of people angry with his loose talk - again - with all this "Christmas" stuff. No recognition that, bar an absolute miracle with a vaccine or other drug, we're still closer to the start of this than the end.

Back