• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Not sure who fell on his sword to take the heat of Boris. Ferguson or his married lover

Pretty poor form from Sunak and our old friend "senior Government source" to be saying that the furlough scheme will have to be tapered off/ended as people are "addicted" to it.

1) How the fuck can they be "addicted", everyone's only received one payment so far haven't they? And I don't even get to make my claim as a self-employed individual for another week.

2) You know exactly what kind of connotations that kind of terminology has.

3) How does this tally with "whatever it takes" which has been the message to date?

4) How does sending everyone back to work tally with your five tests and no news on an exit strategy?

5) If people can't go back to work (because they're too high risk as individuals, for example), or the businesses they work for simply are unable to survive because we're in some kind of halfway house between where we are now and where we were in February, what then? Millions on to Universal Credit, but there's pretty much no work to search for? Which brings us back to asking MPs if they fancy trying to live on £94 a week. And the system is already shit and doesn't work properly.

6) Everyone already knows this can't last forever FFS.

Pretty poor form from Sunak and our old friend "senior Government source" to be saying that the furlough scheme will have to be tapered off/ended as people are "addicted" to it.

1) How the fuck can they be "addicted", everyone's only received one payment so far haven't they? And I don't even get to make my claim as a self-employed individual for another week.

2) You know exactly what kind of connotations that kind of terminology has.

3) How does this tally with "whatever it takes" which has been the message to date?

4) How does sending everyone back to work tally with your five tests and no news on an exit strategy?

5) If people can't go back to work (because they're too high risk as individuals, for example), or the businesses they work for simply are unable to survive because we're in some kind of halfway house between where we are now and where we were in February, what then? Millions on to Universal Credit, but there's pretty much no work to search for? Which brings us back to asking MPs if they fancy trying to live on £94 a week. And the system is already shit and doesn't work properly.

6) Everyone already knows this can't last forever FFS.

Yeah, we had 2-3 weeks of compassionate conservatism, but we're now back to £ being more important than peoples lives again. The whatever it takes line was a myth. Probably a boris soundbite, and it'll hammer sunak going forwards with his career expectations.

Also shows the 1922 committee are clearly angling for lockdown being removed.

Also shows the 1922 committee are clearly angling for lockdown being removed.

They have been vocal about it since week 4 of the lockdown.

I do have sympathy with thos trying to decide the best way forward and no matter what they do they will get abuse for it. Leave things as they are and businesses will be getting close to ruin and the mental health of those who can't leave will be pushed to the very brink. Lift things to quickly and we are all back in doors very quickly. I guess if we are finally looking around Europe to see what happens, then Austria and Germany seem to be handling their lockdown easing quite well and the virus hasn't taken over again. As Matt Hancock put yesterday, it will all be about the tone and I don't expect Boris to get that bit right. When he eases the lockdown I fully expect a load of waffle around winning the war, the spirit and giving the virus a jolly good kicking in the sweet spot.

Have to say the media coverage today is a bit shit. They day after getting the highest death toll in Europe our papers seem to be delighted they can ignore that and instead play around with lockdown/pantsdown headlines.

Have to say the media coverage today is a bit shit. They day after getting the highest death toll in Europe our papers seem to be delighted they can ignore that and instead play around with lockdown/pantsdown headlines.

They've been repeatedly criticised for being too harsh, so I think they have relaxed their criticisms a little, so here we are with the highest death toll in Europe, but the reporting is somewhat minimal for what is major news.

They've been repeatedly criticised for being too harsh, so I think they have relaxed their criticisms a little, so here we are with the highest death toll in Europe, but the reporting is somewhat minimal for what is major news.

Totally, the media perception of Italy's experience has been completely different to our experience.

I don't think it's accidental either

200,000 testing target by the end of May. Which will of course be completely fiddled.

Johnson announced it during a few minutes where he discovered that PMQs is quite a bit more challenging with Kier Starmer standing opposite.

Who has criticised them for being too harsh?

Most stuff I've seen is of them not being harsh enough or taking the government to task enough.

Personally I think they've been terrible, poor questions, no actual journalism and the relaying of agendas instead of actual news.

200,000 testing target by the end of May. .

Utterly pointless putting a number on the target. Achieves nothing.

I presume on May 31st the numbers will include people who have recently thought about getting tested

They just blurt out any old crap under pressure.

Surely they just need to say the target is a substantial rise in testing and testing capacity.

If that was said in April then come the 30th having over 100k capacity and doing high 80k of tests that would have been seen as a success, as it would be a substantial increase on where we were on the 1st. Rather than having to fudge numbers to make it appear something you promised has happened when it hasn't (even if the Express did go with the headline saying Hancock had done it)

I'm still trying to work out how a maximum capacity of 108k tests per day can lead to a daily figure of 122k.

So Scotland announce lockdown for another 3 weeks. Boris says some of ours could be relaxed from next week.

Who has criticised them for being too harsh?

Most stuff I've seen is of them not being harsh enough or taking the government to task enough.

Personally I think they've been terrible, poor questions, no actual journalism and the relaying of agendas instead of actual news.

Some opinions on our response from abroad:

Australia - https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...ere-did-britain-go-wrong-20200428-p54o2d.html

America - New Yorker- https://www.newyorker.com/news/dail...cal-response-to-britains-coronavirus-disaster

America - CNN - https://edition.cnn.com/videos/worl...us-boris-johnson-nick-paton-walsh-pkg-vpx.cnn

Canada - https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-coronavirus-1.5554837

Turkey - https://www.aa.com.tr/en/analysis/o...ovid-19-mismanagement-what-went-wrong/1812838

Reuters - https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-coronavirus-britain-elderly/

When things return to normal can PMQ's keep the same format as it does now please.

No questions shouted down, nowhere to hide if the question is tricky and no crowd for Boris to play to. So much better.

Back