• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

The RWP has now jumped the shark - According to both the Mail and the Express Johnson nearly died, which considering he didn't go on a ventilator clearly isn't true and he owes his life to the NHS, thus associating him with what a wonderful institution it is. Meanwhile 1000 people a day are dying. His illness is now being used for political capital, don't look over there, look over here

To be fair, it isn't just the right wing that do/have done it, but they're by far the worst offenders and by far the best at it. At least now some of the more influential social platforms have taken steps now to stop fake stories going viral, but it's an ongoing problem that continues to get worse. When you have Nation's Leaders using it as political strategy propagating falsehoods and mis-direction, not just the Ickes of this world, it becomes a problem almost impossible to stamp out.

"Experts have long warned that disinformation campaigns don’t win by planting one piece of fake news, but by creating a sea of confusion until voters can no longer identify the truth and have stopped caring.....No party is entirely innocent"

Politicians embrace fake news & disinformation/

2019 general election misinformation

Psychopathy is a recognised mental disorder. It's an illness. Do you suggest screening all those in authority for these traits?

Like most things it's a sliding scale. Wikipedia has a good description of psychopaths in management positions

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy_in_the_workplace

About 20% of people in senior management positions display psychopathic tendancies

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/08/the...and-why-it-doesnt-have-to-be-a-bad-thing.html

I'd say that figure goes up for politicians given the nature of what they do

Seems there's at least a glimmer of hope of maybe, just maybe a relaxing of the current restrictions sooner rather than later with Government belief and trust in Ian Mulheirn conclusions from his Tony Blair Institute Briefing

Phone app.jpg

I'll make the point once

For the app to save lives it is dependent on a vaccine being developed otherwise all it does is slow down how long it takes the virus to propagate through the population.

We do get the potential to end parts of lockdown which would be great and potentially buy us enough time to develop and distribute the vaccine. We'd need careful monitoring to ensure R0 is at a maintable level and that the advice / guidance the app gives is followed.

I really hope it's doable but I doubt the populations take up and adherence to the app

I'll make the point once

For the app to save lives it is dependent on a vaccine being developed otherwise all it does is slow down how long it takes the virus to propagate through the population.

We do get the potential to end parts of lockdown which would be great and potentially buy us enough time to develop and distribute the vaccine. We'd need careful monitoring to ensure R0 is at a maintable level and that the advice / guidance the app gives is followed.

I really hope it's doable but I doubt the populations take up and adherence to the app

You're right, To be a complete and total solution, it has to be in tandem with a vaccine, which is being touted as having as short a timescale as August but I'm very sceptical of that timescale.

My initial reaction was yeah, like everyone will download it once Icke gets going, but a precedent exists of an un requested and unapproved download when iTunes forced everyone to download an un requested download of a U2 album. Build it into android and ios and just update everyone's phones. Make it law if need be. If we can grant police powers to stop gatherings of more than 2-3 people overnight we could pass legislation to make this happen surely?

You're right, To be a complete and total solution, it has to be in tandem with a vaccine, which is being touted as having as short a timescale as August but I'm very sceptical of that timescale.

My initial reaction was yeah, like everyone will download it once Icke gets going, but a precedent exists of an un requested and unapproved download when iTunes forced everyone to download an un requested download of a U2 album. Build it into android and ios and just update everyone's phones. Make it law if need be. If we can grant police powers to stop gatherings of more than 2-3 people overnight we could pass legislation to make this happen surely?

Yep, BoJo needs to be unequivocal on this one

Yep, BoJo needs to be unequivocal on this one

If we can pass as much legislation as has been done over the last month or so that takes away many civil liberties he's got to be able to do it for something like this.

of course, there's still the chance that we will never have a vaccine for it, which I think then leaves contact tracing as the most effective way of minimising deaths

my road is like a typical sunday.... just where the fuck are people going in their cars?

Anyone else woken at 3 am from a dream that you are in ICU & almost about to have to go onto a ventilator (really don't want that as if I go then want to be concious when I do ) or is that just me at my age?

Age is a factor, but not the only determining one & if anyone is still not scared of catching this then they are fooling themselves - it is no respecter of individuals & there are always those not in the prime category who will succumb.

Even more so when you remember that behind every number is a name, someones loved one, someones friend, someones family member.

I genuinely didn't appreciate how many people die from cancer & heart disease each day

Out of sight out of mind I guess

Back