• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea (H) 25/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Chelsea will probably be really close to selling out, but those Palace and Bournemouth home games will be around the 25k mark, worse if we're struggling.

Still 900 tickets left unsold, I'd imagine some of those are ST holders who are reselling that they'll include in the number attended

From Gaz presser:

- asked about Neto. Said he started last night so will be interested to see if he features this weekend
- impossible to pick a Chelsea line up so doesn't know what to expect
- wants to give the best account of ourselves and start the season at home with a win
- won't know what their structure or plan is until they receive the teamsheet
- everyone available. Cunha available for "more minutes" - make of that what you will

From Gaz presser:

- asked about Neto. Said he started last night so will be interested to see if he features this weekend
- impossible to pick a Chelsea line up so doesn't know what to expect
- wants to give the best account of ourselves and start the season at home with a win
- won't know what their structure or plan is until they receive the teamsheet
- everyone available. Cunha available for "more minutes" - make of that what you will
Didn’t sound like Cunha would be starting, for what that’s worth.

On Transfers: "We're trying to do stuff. I would expect the next week to be busy in the world of football."

On O'Shea and Ramsdale: "I won't discuss any player that's not already signed for Wolves. We are working hard to do some stuff that will help us."

"The club has done some fantastic business over the last few years with players all around the world. The scouting department will continue to look at everything."

On Neto: "It will be interesting to see what Chelsea do with him and whether he starts on Sunday. Chelsea performed well against Man City. We're focused on us, trying to give the best account of ourselves. A win would be huge for us."

On Chelsea: "You can see they are still in transition. That doesn't mean they can't be successful with the amount of talent they have and a top coach. They have every chance to finish high up the league."

On injuries: "No issues, we're fine. Cunha is fine and available for more minutes. Traore has done more training and is in a better spot."

On transfer budget: "I've seen some of the noise and there's not really a financial limit, it's whether the deals are right. We can definitely do stuff before the end of the window, it just needs to be right for the club. I've not heard any figure in my meetings."

On home grown quota: "We have a handle on it, it won't cause us any problems."

On fans: "The impact they have on the players is huge. Massive. The players are out there competing and having a fan base fully behind you makes it so much easier to perform. It makes a massive difference."

They seem to ask him a question that gets that answer most weeks. Probably just a "ah fuck, everyone else has asked the good questions...errrr got a message for the fans or whatever Gary"

On Transfers: "We're trying to do stuff. I would expect the next week to be busy in the world of football."

On O'Shea and Ramsdale: "I won't discuss any player that's not already signed for Wolves. We are working hard to do some stuff that will help us."

"The club has done some fantastic business over the last few years with players all around the world. The scouting department will continue to look at everything."

On Neto: "It will be interesting to see what Chelsea do with him and whether he starts on Sunday. Chelsea performed well against Man City. We're focused on us, trying to give the best account of ourselves. A win would be huge for us."

On Chelsea: "You can see they are still in transition. That doesn't mean they can't be successful with the amount of talent they have and a top coach. They have every chance to finish high up the league."

On injuries: "No issues, we're fine. Cunha is fine and available for more minutes. Traore has done more training and is in a better spot."

On transfer budget: "I've seen some of the noise and there's not really a financial limit, it's whether the deals are right. We can definitely do stuff before the end of the window, it just needs to be right for the club. I've not heard any figure in my meetings."

On home grown quota: "We have a handle on it, it won't cause us any problems."

On fans: "The impact they have on the players is huge. Massive. The players are out there competing and having a fan base fully behind you makes it so much easier to perform. It makes a massive difference."

Anything there we don’t already know, Gaz?

Excuses will be flying everywhere about struggling to sell out but not selling out for a no tv game first home game of the season against one of the bigger clubs not to mention the return of pedro should be of real concern. The fact it’s a PL fixture isn’t enough of a lure now the novelty has begun to ware off.

Is it the novelty has worn off, or is it an active boycott?

I think it’s more a case that when you actually have to pay on a game by game basis folk have realised there’s a lot of better things you can do with £50 and a lot are no doubt still watching at home courtesy of a firestick. Selling two first team players and not reinvesting is unlikely to convince the fence sitters to purchase either.

It’s just one possible factor, especially for fans who can leave it or take it.
Cost is the biggest driver though and the fact we don’t have a bottomless pit of supporters to call upon.
As some have said £50 can go on something that’s guaranteed entertainment or more importantly pay for food for the family.
It’s really not a hard equation, good proportion of our fans live in the Wolverhampton or Black Country area one the least affluent parts of England.
The Season ticket waiting list is mirage and doesn’t equate to guaranteed full houses week in week out regardless of cost.

If the reason you have given up your st is because of price, whether that's on principle or ability to pay, you simply aren't going to paying north of £50 for the first game of the season. If they genuinely want to sell out, then they'll have to increase the number of Cat C games, but that further dumps on those that have paid for the season ticket. Unless you want very specific seats, then being a member is now pointless as you can get a ticket for any game and if you wanted a st you could have had one this year so the waiting list is an irrelevance.

It's still less than 3% of the ground though, so with everyone there paying circa 20% more for the privilege Shi will still feel justified. A lot of those available are resale as well, so have already paid anyway.

Resale seats are still only for when the general sale has sold out. Which isn't going to happen very often this season IMO.

This is always the biggest game for st none attendance.

Please don't tell me this game is not on tv!
I just got prem footie over here for the first time in 2 years. Got the mega buffett all planned, 2 tins of guiness, the works.
Fuck!

Please don't tell me this game is not on tv!
I just got prem footie over here for the first time in 2 years. Got the mega buffett all planned, 2 tins of guiness, the works.
Fuck!
It’s not on tv. I mean, it will be somewhere, but not on UK channels.

Back