• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea (H) 25/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Deutsch Wolf

Sponsored by Amazon Prime. DM me for discounts...
Reaction score
We all know that the start to the season is a tough one; this is actually one of the games where we genuinely should be targeting points. They're in all kinds of flux with an unmanageable squad, the style of football is divisive at absolute best and we beat them twice last season.

I'm told Doherty did ok (by his standards) at Arsenal so he probably will start. Let's hope it's one of his last ever league starts in a gold shirt. Elsewhere I would obviously look to bring Cunha back in with Bellegarde the man to miss out. Would doubt at this stage that any new signings (lolz) would arrive in time to be seriously considered.

Watching them yesterday - they move the ball SO slowly and clearly have a lot of players who are uncomfortable with playing out from the back, not least the keeper who seems to have a weak spot against everything.

----------------------------------Sa-------------------------------

Doherty--------------Mosquera----------Toti-----------Ait-Nouri

-------------------Lemina----------J Gomes--------------------------

-----------R Gomes----------Cunha-----------Hwang----------------

---------------------------Strand Larsen----------------------------------

2023/24: W 2-1 (H), W 4-2 (A)
2022/23: W 1-0 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2021/22: D 0-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2020/21: W 2-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: L 2-5 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2018/19: W 2-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-2 (H, FAC)
2012/13: L 0-6 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), L 0-3 (A)
2010/11: W 1-0 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2009/10: L 0-2 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2003/04: L 0-5 (H), L 2-5 (A)
1993/94: L 0-1 (A, FAC)

It will be that with Gomes and Hwang on opposite sides.

Team basically picks itself, but we need to press them high to try and expose Maresca's insistence on playing out from the back.

Oh, I thought Semedo was back for this one. DW's team has to be it then.

For all the (justified) criticism of Sa's distribution there were plenty of keeper distribution errors over the weekend that did or almost lead to goals. (Just from MOTD)

Pope, McCarthy, Leno, Sanchez, Steele, Flecken, Neto to name a few.

Signing that golden bullet keeper will not be as easy as some believe.

His distribution is an issue but nowhere near being the major one. It's that constantly through a season he'll concede a goal and it'll be at very best highly questionable on his part. He lets in some absolute crap.

It’s got a 90th minute Pedro Neto winner written all over it, this.

DW’s team to start and I hope we smash them.

Just looked and if I wanted to I could get a seat very similar to my old season ticket, on general sale right now.

As it's £56 I do not want to.
and not contribute to the Dara O'Shea transfer fund? Shame on you

Just looked and if I wanted to I could get a seat very similar to my old season ticket, on general sale right now.

As it's £56 I do not want to.
Yep, that's why I'm trying the golf stand at pricing that's still too high, but acceptable. If the experience is awful I won't repeat it.

Yep, that's why I'm trying the golf stand at pricing that's still too high, but acceptable. If the experience is awful I won't repeat it.
Back in 2003 when Jez made an absolute Horlicks of ticketing (so I had no priority over some random twat who fancied watching Man Utd and Arsenal but who'd not attended for years, even though I'd been traveling down from Manchester and buying match-by-match as a student for all the weekend games for three of the last four years) I had to join the TPS and got allocated in there. So six games sat there and managed to pick up tickets elsewhere for most of the other home fixtures.

If it doesn't rain and it isn't freezing then it isn't too bad. Leave the result out of it and when we played Chelsea at home that season it was no problem. When we had a monsoon at home to Bolton, a lot less fun. Speaking as someone who pretty much never buys food and drink inside the stadium of course, the amenities in that respect are probably terrible. If I were minded to give them any money at the moment then I might take the gamble in late August, less so in mid-November.

Soon be gone if we sign O'Shea
I'm thinking Hoever's new contract will stick 3k on the gate.

We're going to have several <25k gates this season. I'm saying at least 6.

Most are singles, which will be a barrier for some with holidays probably being why a lot are available. That said £56 to sit behind the goal is ridiculous and that's when some fans have early season optimism. Let's see Bournemouth at the end of November if we are in the bottom 5

Most are singles, which will be a barrier for some with holidays probably being why a lot are available. That said £56 to sit behind the goal is ridiculous and that's when some fans have early season optimism. Let's see Bournemouth at the end of November if we are in the bottom 5
The next three at home all on TV too.

Well four including Burnley, that's on Sky too.

The pink ones exchange tickets? And they can’t be sold until the others are?

Back