• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ched Evans + Adam Johnson court cases

I was reading the other day that the possibility of gender discrimination in these cases was challenged in court (in Ireland I think). It said that judges had decided that because women are more likely to suffer negative consequences from full sex, mainly because of the possibility of getting pregnant and the challenges that brings from being underage as well, that discrimination was justified in giving men more severe sentences as an added deterrent.

No I guessed that. I just thought it was interesting that it has actually been raised and discussed in the proper way.

Yeah but she's a woman so she gets away with it. Because judges decided that gender discrimination is ok in these cases.

It's not about getting away with it. Women's sentences are so heavily politicised it's unreal; judges are heavily encouraged to avoid sending women to jail except for the most serious of crimes because of the cost of fostering or putting the children into care if they can't be rehomed with the suspects family. The cost per year per woman in prison is £31-£37k the cost to remove a child into foster care is around the same whilst the cost of residential social Services care is around the £130,000 mark. My figures from the National Audit Office and Gov.uk.

The system is sexist without a doubt but it isn't through any sense of an easy ride it's all financially motivated. In the case of young girls being not being prosecuted it also comes down to the classicist thinking which saw the laws in this country established in which women and children were viewed as irrational actors and so shouldn't be prosecuted.

Plus, the lady in question will never work in teaching again. Her career is destroyed. People are still asking if there is a way back into football for Johnson when he gets out.

Women and girls can be prosecuted by the way. They can't be convicted of rape because of the wording of the 1851 Act that defines rape. However, they can be convicted of sexual assault with penetration (should they be into dildo stuff) which carries the same maximum sentence. That is the only sexual offence that I am aware of where the sexes are treated differently.

People are still asking if there is a way back into football for Johnson when he gets out.

They can ask. He won't have a way back in though. Any club that entertains the thought will see a reaction more than Sheff Utd got for having Evans back

Last edited:
Cabral is the player charged with rape and I don't see much of a link between him ah Johnson apart from the club they played for...

No I know.
It's just that Johnson has really put Sunderland in the spotlight. I doubt it would be any where near as prominent a story were it not for the Johnson case.

and getting ready to be the star player of the Prison Football team

and getting ready to be the star player of the Prison Football team

His mate/father of his sisters child should join him. He has been harassing the victim of the abuse online.

Friends and family of Johnson have allegedly encouraged people to name and abuse the girl online

Johnson has been stripped of his international caps.

And his QC asks the judge to temper justice with mercy.

Back