• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Ched Evans + Adam Johnson court cases

I would say there would be mitigation in the 16 year old's case as he likely would be immature himself. Plus he might even be in the same school class as the girl.

Fuck Johnson, he's a 28 year old millionaire with a girlfriend and a kid and he does that in full knowledge of the law, not even a 'she was in the nightclub so I assumed she was 18+' defence. He's not a warped Glitter style individual, but he's clearly a cunt with some very odd morals.

No-one's arguing with you on that point.

I don't think there are degrees of paedophilia, he is one by definition. 8, 10, 12, 15, it doesn't matter. You knowingly go below that line and you are what you are.

Isn't paedophilia by definition relating to pre pubescent ?

No. Plus puberty is a moving target. You can't put a set age down for that, can you. It varies from child to child.

Hmmm - as he pleaded guilty on two of the charges I would say he has got a fair amount of deserved justice already.

Sunderland chief executive quits

In a statement, Margaret Byrne said: "I recognise that, as CEO, my involvement with Mr Johnson and the decision to allow him to continue to represent Sunderland was a serious mistake."

Sunderland chief executive quits

In a statement, Margaret Byrne said: "I recognise that, as CEO, my involvement with Mr Johnson and the decision to allow him to continue to represent Sunderland was a serious mistake."

I am not surprised by this. Clearly Sunderland made a very big mistake, and they are now trying to rebuild bridges with their fans.

I feel a bit sorry for her. She adopted the innocent until proven guilty principle whilst he protested his innocence and he made a mug of her. That said it's taken her a week to resign so no doubt has negotiated a decent compromise agreement

I can't see what other approach the club could have taken, you are innocent until proven guilty after all. As soon as he pleaded guilty the club sacked him.

Agreed Newbridge. I don't think the club did anything wrong.

She was shown his confession by police. At that point she was between a rock and a hard place. Don't forget she initially suspended him and backtracked after pressure from Gordon Taylor and the PFA. He should also be hauled over the coals if she has been made to resign.

Wasn't Sunderlands stance based on his Johnson saying he was not guilty of any of the charges and with the PFA leaning on the club, they kind of had little choice but to believe him and allow him to be innocent until proven otherwise. He then changed his mind on the day of the trial. If he had told the club he was pleading guilty to any of the charges at the time, he would have been sacked there and then. Anyone would think he saw a chance to bank a few hundred grand a month for a year to build his wealth for his non-footballing future.

Yeah but she's a woman so she gets away with it. Because judges decided that gender discrimination is ok in these cases.

I'm not expert but I think the law is different in consent between male and female - I think the onus is generally placed on the male.

I remember being taught at school that a male can consent from 14-16 but a female is only ever at 16. I remember as it meant that a boy and a girl both aged 15 could have consensual intercourse but the boy could be charged with sex with a minor but not the other way around

It may well be talking bollox, but that was my understanding at the time....

She hasn't got away with it at all. She has a restraining order and a two year suspended sentence (even though she pleaded guilty to all charges, unlike Johnson).

Scarred for life? All my Christmases would have come at once if I'd shagged her when I was 15

The law:

girl is under 13 automatically cannot give consent and is assumed to be under age and without a defence
13-16 if the male reasonably believed the girl was over 16 then he has a defence.

Another point - to be prosecuted for the offences of sexual activity with a child with full weight of the law, the offender must be 18 at the time of the offence (Sexual Offences Act 2003, sections 9 to 13). For an under 18-year-old offender, the penalties are far less stringent.

Sex of the person against whom the act is committed is now pretty much irrelevant from what I can see looking at the legislation.

Thanks Paddy, I'm certainly not doing a web search on the company laptop on this subject so I'll happily bow to your findings.

Back