• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff (H) 19/08: Build-Up

Warnock was right at the time. We wouldn't improve with Lambert at the helm. I imagine he'll have a different tune on Saturday.

We were expected to lose but my boys made them work for it.

They've spent more on Neves then I've spent in the last five years.

Financial fair play

Cold night in X

We were expected to lose but my boys made them work for it.

They've spent more on Neves then I've spent in the last five years.

Financial fair play

Cold night in X

You missed 'the ref protected their players' but yep, that's about right. We shouldn't feel special as he does it to every club. Oddly enough he really likes Wolves (or did some years ago).

Oddly enough he really likes Wolves (or did some years ago).

He went soft on us after the Play Off Final, as if to cushion the blow of losing....but either side of that he has been cockend.

Some thoughtful quotes from the Cardiff forums:

"Hopefully Gunnarsson will go through Jota and Neves like a hot knife through hot butter."

"Despise Wolves more than any other team in the Championship."

"Oh right, apparently because we've played crap teams they're going to smash us. I am truly hoping we put them to the sword now, give them a little reality check."

"I've always hated Wolves and after reading their site it looks like they're even more deluded than the Villa fans."

"They haven't played a Neil team yet, welcome to British football!"

"When it starts pissing it down every week, they're playing 3 games in 7 days and they start getting lumps kicked out of them, then we'll see how good they are. I don't doubt they have the ability but we've seen a lot of foreigners struggle in the second part of the season after a good start."

"They beat Boro, luckily so I'm told , Boro were lucky to beat Sheff Utd, who we then beat comfortably."

He went soft on us after the Play Off Final, as if to cushion the blow of losing....but either side of that he has been cockend.

Don't think he ever forgave us for ruining his first ever big day as a Manager at Scarborough

That's pretty barmy convoluted logic on predicting a result.

There was also another one I saw

They were lucky to Boro

Boro were lucky to beat Sheff Utd

We beat Sheff Utd easily

Hard to argue with logic like that...

We won at Newcastle 2-0 Newcastle were Champions
Newcastle beat QPR 6-0
We lost at home to QPR
Lovin the logic!

"Hopefully Gunnarsson will go through Jota and Neves like a hot knife through hot butter."

"Despise Wolves more than any other team in the Championship."

"Oh right, apparently because we've played crap teams they're going to smash us. I am truly hoping we put them to the sword now, give them a little reality check."

"I've always hated Wolves and after reading their site it looks like they're even more deluded than the Villa fans."

"They haven't played a Neil team yet, welcome to British football!"

"When it starts pissing it down every week, they're playing 3 games in 7 days and they start getting lumps kicked out of them, then we'll see how good they are. I don't doubt they have the ability but we've seen a lot of foreigners struggle in the second part of the season after a good start."

"They beat Boro, luckily so I'm told , Boro were lucky to beat Sheff Utd, who we then beat comfortably."

Are those genuine comments from Cardiff fans?

giphy.gif

Loving the gif work Jinks.

Despite the fact he's a complete helmet, Warnock is a very good manager at this level so Saturday will be a tough game. Fact is though that we've beaten 3 good teams and played very well in the process.

Hopefully Warnock will be his usual raging self as his team is beaten and we get to see lots of this

ElAXL4.gif

hmm, 'hot butter'? that makes sense.

just banter isn't it. 3 wins each, not surprising there's confidence on both sides. and when footie fans are confident, the banter can become more outrageous. another tough game, but hopefully our boys will be up to the job.

He's hated us since we ruined Scarborough's big day.

If they were in the same position as Burton I'm sure their rhetoric would be a lot different.
Bit of a myth from British football fans that no play from abroad can cope with a bit of physicality.

I'm encouraged Hull seemed to have so many chances against Wolves tonight and scored 2 goals against them.

I fancy us, Wolves will probably have most of the possession but they will play into our hands and leave space for us to use our pace on the break. I can see our front 3 getting a lot of joy and I think we will score there.

Another clean sheet will be a huge ask though, especially if both our full backs are still out. My heart says 3-1 to us, but my head says an entertaining 2-2 draw.

Just read this comment on a Cardiff board. I suppose it's fair to assume certain things about an opposition team, as I highly doubt whoever this Cardiff fan is has seen a single minute of us this season. But he's in for a surprise if he thinks we'll "play in to their hands" and they'll be able to "hit us on the break". We're playing with three central defenders. Hull's goals came from a corner (via a deflected shot) and a dodgy penalty. I can't remember a single occasion this season where a team has looked even remotely close to hitting us "on the break".

I was also disappointed to read that they've only sold 1,310 tickets (Allocation 2,500). With their decent start and it being an early season top of the table clash, I thought they may have sold out.

The way that we are set up with the three central defenders and two centre midfielders is what makes it hard for teams to counter attack us. In fact, I think that is the whole point of the system. Dominate the game but also limit the chance for teams to break on you.

I really, REALLY hope we give them a right battering. We are more than capable. That said, if we lose 9 out of 12 is still a very good return from these four league games.

Back