• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff Away Build Up Thread

LG Wolf

Reaction score
Just one real decision to make for Nuno, who plays up top with Costa and Cavaleiro? I think we’ll go with Afobe, Jota didn’t look fit at all to me last night.

Also Ruddy worries me with his recent flapping - Cardiff will be pumping loads of long throws into the box. Think we may concede at least one from a set piece. That said, we will out play them on the pitch and if we’re anywhere near our best we win, they really aren’t a very good side at all. Effective, yes. Good, no.

Win and the title is all but confirmed, draw ditto. Lose and it may get a little sticky for the top spot.

Ruddy
Bennett
Coady
Boly
Doherty
Saiss
Neves
Douglas
Costa
Afobe
Cavaleiro

Ruddy played well last night I thought.

I'm unsure how I'd go up front, Afobe was fucking crap last night, he wasn't any better at Boro when we had 11 men either. But Leo doesn't look anywhere near when he does play. If we went with the fluid three up top then Cav should be central rather than Jota for me.

2017/18: L 1-2 (H)
2016/17: W 3-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2015/16: L 1-3 (H), L 0-2 (A)
2014/15: W 1-0 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2012/13: L 1-2 (H), L 1-3 (A)
2008/9: D 2-2 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2007/8: W 3-0 (H), W 3-2 (A), L 0-2 (A, FAC)
2006/7: L 1-2 (H), L 0-4 (A)
2005/6: W 2-0 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2004/5: L 2-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)

Ruddy played well last night I thought.

That swipe with his left peg early in the game was pure Sunday League. What was he thinking? I just don’t feel confident with him between the sticks anymore.

He will go with the starting 3 from last night. If Cardiff line up like they did v Sheff Utd our opportunities will come from room in the middle for Neves, on the break from the wing backs and the front 3 pulling their defence out of position. That is where Sheff Utd hurt them...well would have if they had a decent striker to put the chances away

We know where they will try and get us - Long balls up to the front 3, set plays, never giving up and being sly off the ball. We need to keep our heads, unlike at Boro. I feel sorry for whoever has the job of standing between Warnock and our bench, it could get tasty on the sidelines.

Ruddy
Bennett, Coady, Boly

Doc Neves Saiss Douglas

Costa Jota Cav

Jota has to be benched for me, pick one of bonatini and afobe and go from there. Jota was complaining a lot to the ref and with a team as physical as Cardiff it will affect his concentration somewhat

I agree 're Ruddy, he never provides me with much confidence (albeit he didn t stand a chance with either goal v hull) but hopefully a more balanced starting 11 can keep the ball away from goal. Hopefully we can cope with zohore better with Bennett in the side as he was an absolute menace at home last time

I didn’t think they were particular sly or nasty v Sheff Utd. Thought they were quite tame in fact. No doubt though Warnock will employ the same tactic as he did at Molineux.

Zohore v Coady also worries me. He didn’t handle Mitrovic well the other week and Zohore will pose a similar threat, if not more of one.

I think I'd play Afobe only for his physicality and pace against two big but not exactly quick centre backs. Let Costa and Cav occupy the spaces between the full backs and centre backs and let Neves pick them apart.

I think a lot of this is down to how hard the ref is with Cardiff and their off the ball stuff.

If Afobe plays, can someone drum into him the principle of actually showing for the fucking ball every now and then? And then ideally controlling it. Thx xx

Problem with Afobe is his 1st touch with his back to goal, it really is Leon standard. We put ourselves on the back foot 3 or 4 times last night as a simple ball into him somehow managed to go 10 yards forward when he tried to control it. That happens v Cardiff and they will be on it like a flash and causing us massive problems.

If Afobe plays, can someone drum into him the principle of actually showing for the fucking ball every now and then? And then ideally controlling it. Thx xx

Problem with Afobe is his 1st touch with his back to goal, it really is Leon standard. We put ourselves on the back foot 3 or 4 times last night as a simple ball into him somehow managed to go 10 yards forward when he tried to control it. That happens v Cardiff and they will be on it like a flash and causing us massive problems.

I'd rather have Leo but it looks like he's been off his game for quite a while. I think we really miss his hold up play.

Didn't leave work until late so missed the game yesterday. My worry about Friday is the same as last night and that's the players being leggy. I'd consider N'Diaye instead of Saiss as he's the one who appears to be suffering the most. I'd also be tempted to put Leo back in and have Jota and Afobe coming off the bench.

N’Diaye was a major problem yesterday, he’s not a disciplined midfielder that this system needs. He kept making runs forward, some beyond the striker. Some of his runs were actually good but when he does this it leaves a big vacuum where Neves and Saiss usually control games from, got to be Neves and Saiss. We are at our best when that is the CM partnership

I wouldn't disagree with any of that Deano, but IF a player is running on empty he's no good to us particularly in what will be a physical battle. Saiss was ill last week, then played for Morocco, got back late, ran himself into the ground at Boro and was supposedly poor last night. I don't see him recovering in 72 hours which includes a coach trip. I don't see N'Diaye as an ideal replacement, just the only one.

This may be a game for the physicality of N'Daiye - just need to attach him to Neves with a bit of elastic to stop him roaming too far away up front & leaving a gaping hole in midfield

Nuno won't ditch Ruddy, & probably shouldn't

Back 3 back to the usual complement will cover him better anyway

In two minds about the front 3 - Costa & Cav to play, but not Jota from the start as didn't look as if he was fully ready. Have the choice of Afobe's physical presence or Leo's link up

Something usually comes from 1 or 2 of Alf's forward runs though, a bit more effective than Saiss at it. Does disjoint things though

That worries me a touch, but then again if he gets card happy and Cardiff are the transgressors we might get some much overdue protection.

I'd give Afobe another go. Dreadful last night but I think with Neves back in the middle he may be more effective. Preferably MGW in the midfield alongside him but as I doubt that would happen I would prefer N'Diaye to Saiss who was very poor and looked exhausted. N'Diaye isn't as good but may be more suited to the physical battle and seems to still have some drive in him going off yesterday.

Really not looking forward to this one to be honest, I'm expecting a loss and a poor performance.

Someone enlighten me on how N'Diaye is more physical than Saiss.

Back