• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff Away Build Up Thread

Was it Cardiff who marked our wingbacks completely out of the game last time we met them? If so, that might be an argument in favour of Alf in order to get some more movement down the middle if they shut down our flanks. I am less sure about the argument of him being more physical than Saiss, if we approach this as a wrestling match we will surely lose comfortably. We need to find a way to keep the ball for longer spells unless we are to be under constant pressure, and that is where the prospect of Alf fails to fill me with confidence.

This game is huge I was so pissed off with the way the home game went we really owe these one. I worry about tired legs and we will need a mammoth performance from all to beat these. I do think we miss early season Leo he was so clever and created so much space for others but his confidence just looks shot, Afobe starts for me.

Having a fresh Neves and Doc is a good thing but I worry about Saiss he's been ill and played a lot of football I hope he has some left in the tank. Saiss is the better option no doubt about that but if it's Alf at least we know he won't get bullied.

I think we win this in a feisty encounter.

Ruddy was excellent last night. Fucking agendas...
Yep. I've been very keen on norris coming in, but in the last couple of games Ruddy has played really well (not quite excellent though..)

Not even a little.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Saiss is a pussy considering the position he plays, Alf on the other hand is like a wrecking ball almost too much for my liking.

If Saiss had a little bit of that raw aggression Alf has he would be a better player.

Fairly uncalled for characterization of Saïss tbh.

N'Diaye does use his bigger body and strength more often than Saiss who prefers a tackle than a physical fight.

N'Diaye does use his bigger body and strength more often than Saiss who prefers a tackle than a physical fight.

When people say Saiss isn't physical I just think about him winning the FK that led to our winner against Bristol.

Still, I at least understand your point, Bear. Personally I'd be worried that Warnock would target N'Diaye as his temper has gotten the better of him a couple of times (was it against Blues that he should have been sent off for putting hands on someone?).

When people say Saiss isn't physical I just think about him winning the FK that led to our winner against Bristol.

Still, I at least understand your point, Bear. Personally I'd be worried that Warnock would target N'Diaye as his temper has gotten the better of him a couple of times (was it against Blues that he should have been sent off for putting hands on someone?).

Saiss has had one or two yellows this season - not sure that his temper is that much better

Fairly uncalled for characterization of Saïss tbh.

How is that the case?? Saiss spends a significant amount of his time rolling around on the floor clutching his face when someone has barely touched him. Its not to say he can't tackle, he can. But is he physical? Not really, is he tough, god no.

Ruddy.
Doherty.
Bennett.
Coady.
Boly.
Douglas.
Saiss.
Neves.
Costa.
Afobe.
Cavalero.

Just because Alf is built like a cruiserweight boxer doesn't make him a physical footballer, I haven't seen that.

Saiss is tough, some strange criticism of him here IMO.

How is that the case?? Saiss spends a significant amount of his time rolling around on the floor clutching his face when someone has barely touched him. Its not to say he can't tackle, he can. But is he physical? Not really, is he tough, god no.

I took more issue with the use of the word "pussy", to be clear. Whether or not I agree with the point you were trying to make.

Last edited:
Ruddy
Bennett Coady Boly
Doherty Neves Saiss Douglas
Costa Cav Jota

Pass and move. I really fancy us to totally upset the applecart tonight and win 3-0. We have a really good record of bouncing back from a poor performance this season and all the big players will be right up for this. The pressure is on Cardiff. They are at home. Score early and we dent that confidence. Its them ojn the unbeaten run. We will still be top regardless of what happens tonight. The tealeaves look good!

Ruddy
Bennett Coady Boly
Doherty Neves Saiss Douglas
Costa Cav Jota

Pass and move. I really fancy us to totally upset the applecart tonight and win 3-0. We have a really good record of bouncing back from a poor performance this season and all the big players will be right up for this. The pressure is on Cardiff. They are at home. Score early and we dent that confidence. Its them ojn the unbeaten run. We will still be top regardless of what happens tonight. The tealeaves look good!

We will indeed be top whatever happens tonight, but I think the bank holiday has confused you as the match is tomorrow night.

The player I have my doubts over for Friday - apart from my perennial worries about Ruddy - is Costa. He got a whack against Fulham and disappeared from the game and Cardiff will be all over us physically. Jota may not be 100% but he won't shirk a physical challenge, so I'd go Cav - Afobe - Jota up front. And when we've run them ragged I'd bring MGW on to totally destroy the long ball bastards

haha ha ha ha. Yes mate it has! Its cause I am off tomorow

My starting XI would be:

Ruddy
Bennett
Coady
Boly
Doherty
Saiss
Neves
Douglas
Costa
Cavaleiro
Jota

(Fluid front 3 with Jota on the left, Costa on the right and Cav in the middle)

We all know how Cardiff are going to play - Warnock is nothing if he's not consistent. His teams have a way of playing that gets results and he will stick with it. We just have to find a way to withstand the long ball bombardment and the niggly fouls and let our football do the talking. We all know if we play to our full potential we should win, but I think on balance I would probably settle for a draw if offered it now.

Afobe, Bonatini, MGW, N'Diaye all on the bench to come on if needed, either tactically or through injury.

Back