• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Elliot Watt signs his first Pro contract with Wolves

Elliot Watt signs his first Pro contract with Wolves

Seems to be a good crop in the U18's with Watt, Taylor, Perry and Samuels all making a good impression. I'm only going on brief highlights and twitter reports but by all accounts they're doing very well.

I was speaking to an England youth scout, and he didn't think too highly of Samuels. Not to say he is not a good player just not at the level for the England set up as they had him involved at u15 I think but didn't bring him back again.

Is it Perry who is in the England u17 set up currently?

Can't remember his name but it's a keeper who is with the U17's

U23's squad for tonight

Includes a returning Ruddy

DPoT9JqW4AAytfJ.jpg:large

What a fucking terrible website. Light Grey text on a white background? Really?

Pretty good U23 side that with the likes of Hause, Ronan and Zyro.

Pretty sure it's MGW's first involvement since the World Cup too.

Totally unrelated, but is there a reason why hyphenated surnames seem so common in the UK? Genuinely curious.

When some people get married they use both surnames to create a new hyphenated one, which then gets passed down to their children

Totally unrelated, but is there a reason why hyphenated surnames seem so common in the UK? Genuinely curious.

Hi Alan - the two reasons I see most associated with double barrelled names is (other than the traditional aristocratic families):-

1. The children's parents are unmarried so the child/children get named with both parents names
2. Parents are married but either one or both partners have chosen both their surnames as their married name

It used to be a posh upper class thing - double-barrelled surnames were often used as a shorthand for a character in a show being wealthy, for example, but it was also sometimes adopted as an aspirational thing by the middle and working class. Then over the last couple of decades you've got people getting married but neither person wanting to change their surname to that of the person they've married, so it's even more common than it used to be.

That said, the talent pool for young players in the UK is increasingly less working class-dominant, so it's not too surprising we're getting more players with them than we seemed to in the past.

It used to be a posh upper class thing - double-barrelled surnames were often used as a shorthand for a character in a show being wealthy, for example, but it was also sometimes adopted as an aspirational thing by the middle and working class. Then over the last couple of decades you've got people getting married but neither person wanting to change their surname to that of the person they've married, so it's even more common than it used to be.

That said, the talent pool for young players in the UK is increasingly less working class-dominant, so it's not too surprising we're getting more players with them than we seemed to in the past.
Good stuff, cheers.

Interesting that the response to such a surname over here would historically be quite negative by comparison.

Won 2-1, Deslandes and Gibbs-White.

Hause in with the U23s now. Do we think he has a future here any longer?

I would hope so, he was class at City. I still think he should be playing on the left of Coady with Boly on the right even though all of the 3 in front of him have played well.

Back