• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 5 v 1 Horwich Wanderers: The Verdict Thread

Seen them given as yellows. Was late from behind. But to have the same punishment for that as Wheaters is crazy.

I think Wheater could and maybe should have been shown the red card. Regarding Neves, I don't think Wolves can complain too much about the yellow card, pretty regulation one in my opinion.

Good read as always Dan

Liked this part...

For now though he’s doing fine. I don’t have to shudder when I see his name on the teamsheet at 2pm. I know he’ll actually try. This is progress.

His sister would be so proud of you

I think Wheater could and maybe should have been shown the red card. Regarding Neves, I don't think Wolves can complain too much about the yellow card, pretty regulation one in my opinion.

I have to agree on the grounds at intent, they'd both been at each other and in a challenge less than 5 minutes prior Wheater followed him up the park during the break in play, then suddenly he's flying through the back of him.

Very good.

Agree Bennett did a few too many hoofs yesterday. However Boly gave the ball away several times in the first quarter, but, play did seem to come down his side a lot, probably as it's Boly/Douglas rather than Bennett/Doherty!

At times though Bennett is no nonsense and always winning the tackle, almost Boly style. It's good that him, Miranda and Batth can fight for a spot.

Very good.

Agree Bennett did a few too many hoofs yesterday. However Boly gave the ball away several times in the first quarter, but, play did seem to come down his side a lot, probably as it's Boly/Douglas rather than Bennett/Doherty!

At times though Bennett is no nonsense and always winning the tackle, almost Boly style. It's good that him, Miranda and Batth can fight for a spot.

If you have Bennett playing no pressure 5-10 yard passes to Coady, Ruddy, Doc and Boly more 'adventurous' then it stands to reason Bennett will have better pass accuracy etc

Agree. Expected the yellow the moment he made the challenge.

Boly's passing was quite sloppy in the first half, he improved as the game went on, defensively he was every bit the man mountain we have come to love he really should have had 2 goals too. Bennett is never going to be able to do what Boly and Miranda can with the ball but defensively hes been solid and I think first and foremost we need that.

We have good competition at the back although I still think Hause needs to come in although I suspect he will play a few cup games first.

I reckon Bennett has been brought in whilst Miranda is down the gym beefing up!

To me Bennett is doing well because he has quality players around him. If you put him in last year's team he'd look average

My only concern at this point is some of them are going to need a rest, particularly with the Christmas logjam coming up. Jota, Leo, even Saiss when you factor in playing for Morocco as well - they are logging a lot of minutes and we're going to do well to keep them fresh and firing. But, we do have quality waiting to come in (thank god)

How long ago was it that there was talk of Cav having to up his end product to stay in the team? Think we can put that one to bed now.

I reckon Bennett has been brought in whilst Miranda is down the gym beefing up!

To me Bennett is doing well because he has quality players around him. If you put him in last year's team he'd look average

I think this is incredibly harsh. He might not be as good on the ball as the players around him, but Bennett has done well in his own right.

He's done a lot better than I expected him to.

Does Nuno think two ball playing central defenders was opening us a little more then he wanted. Having a snotter next to Coady is obviously foremost in his thinking in the last month.

The Christmas schedule is hardly a surprise, it's the same every year and for every team in the league. Nuno and the fitness coaches will have the squad well prepared and in top shape for the whole period. We've already had plenty of 2 match weeks and it's not phased us yet.

Just back - after a shit week with with a bad cold, that was a real tonic (despite cocking up my leaving time/traffic conditions so not up there early enough for pre game drinks)

Imperious without getting out of second gear at any stage. Nuno has clearly decided to pander to the few remaining 'gerrit forward' fans by instructing Ruddy to put it long - with our quality it turns into a 70 yrd through for Jota to run onto and dispatch with ease.

Could easily have had far more - was right in line with a Jota curler from out on the left - the Steve Bull stand at that end of the ground were already on their feet so sure were we that that was in - cannot of missed by more than inches.

First time in the Steve Bull upper & yes there was a fair bit of noise coming from there & some banter with the South Bank.

All in all a somewhat enjoyable weekend

Just had lunch in the cafe across from my hotel. The guy who works came over asking if I saw the Bolton, telling me he watched it and talking about the goals.

He asked if we could swap some merch, so hes gonna bring me one of his Benfica tops and I will send him one of my Wolves tops. They really love us over here!

My only concern at this point is some of them are going to need a rest, particularly with the Christmas logjam coming up. Jota, Leo, even Saiss when you factor in playing for Morocco as well - they are logging a lot of minutes and we're going to do well to keep them fresh and firing. But, we do have quality waiting to come in (thank god)

The Christmas hectic schedule is a myth for me... We play on 23rd, 26th and 30th Dec, and 2nd Jan.
So 4 games in 10 days.

Through this season we've played 7 games in 21 days in Sept, 5 games in 13 days from 21st Oct to 3rd Nov and 3 games in the last week. The team, sorry, squad has coped perfectly well with the number of games and I expect good squad management from Nuno to continue to Jan 2nd and then a rest for the main players as we start the FA Cup fixture

I take your point, and I'm not saying they won't be ready, but Christmas is nothing but league games, no Carabao cup to break things up and give a lot of the first team a break.

The players on the whole do seem a lot fitter than prior years which is a plus. Perhaps it is just years of following that has given me an ingrained pessimism :icon_redface:

I am seeing a lot of that. You know - "it's us, we are bound to find a way to fuck it up"

I think we just have to accept that Wolves are now a VERY different beast and barely anyone still in the employ of the club was here when the previous fuck ups were made. Batth and Ikeme are about it. Plus there is no point in referring back to the choke as reference. The likes of Jota were in kindergarten then.

The trouble is we have it ingrained in our memory...Wolves always find a way to fuck it up so I also see where Bion is coming from. :icon_lol:

Back